• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking the walk

scoopy

Hi just joined, I will be walking from Pamplona to Santiago, at some stage next year,in aid of Cancer, we speak French and Spanish,Its early days yet but any info on the terrain, and speed, would be good, otherwise we will just set off and keep going, also what is the right time of the year to do it in, when its not too hot, and crowded!!!
Any info would be greatly appreciated for two girls in their prime to put together a plan! 8)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Scoopy:

Interesting screen name?

I like the Spring, late march early April in regards to crowds. The only time it gets busy is Easter week and from Sarria to Santiago. It was still pretty hot on the Meseta around low 30's several days and cool in the mountains at night. You can definately count on some rain, especially in Galacia. As far as terrain, I think of the Camino as "Always another hill". I try to average about 25km a day. Some days more, some less. You have the language covered.

Pack light, start slowly and let the Camino be your guide.

Ultreya,
Joe

I hope I have the right button pressed for my reply to you! Thanks for you information, as to the best time to go, its still all in its infancy, but we should have a plan sorted between us by Christmas, even if my best friend sometime has some blonde moments!!

How many times have you walked the area? I need to get really serious with the walking, I haven't done any proper walks for 2 years, due to various upsets, but now I am ready to do something positive for myself, while helping others at the same time.

Wish you all the luck in your travels. Yes its a long story about my screen name it goes back to when I was about 11 years old, and I have been stuck with it! Susi is my real name. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well Scoopy, how are you?

To learn about the Camino, just read the many columns in this Forum. Everything has been discussed many times before.

As for walking in preparation, I highly recommend it, but know many embark on day one with little to no training.

Have a wonderful time preparing and dreaming about your Camino. Having decided to do it, you have already begun.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi everyone well we are back on for the walk, things got a little hectic last year, and preparations were put on hold.
We have decided to head off at the end of August, and would like to know if that is a good time to go regards weather, not too hot or cold!? also roughly how much money are we looking at, we will be stopping off in hostels etc: and starting in Pamploma and heading across to Santiago I believe its about 300 miles. I am reading through as many books as I can , just to get in the swing of things, but its still good to pick up as much info as possible on the route from those who have done it!
Walking has started in earnest, and we are about to walk with the rucksacks fully loaded, so to get the pack well settled in place! and the feet to get used to spreading the load! We will start a blog when the time comes.
Look forward to any suggestions,advice, and general input. :arrow: :arrow: Scoopy

It is more like 425 miles (706 km). The weather will be hot in general in August. Take a hat, drink lots of water, and rest in the afternoon heat of the day, if needed. The cost is about 30E per day if you stay in refuges. If you stay in hostales, the lodging cost will be more like 25E per night double occupancy, so I would estimate 45-50E total each day. Expect to cover about 12-15 miles per day unless you press it a bit.

Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Scoopy...welcome back to the Forum and as a member of the Class of 2012!

WX in Northern Spain: Eastern section of the CF; The average maximum temperature in Navarre in September is 75°F/24°C and the average minimum temperature is 57°F/14°C, with a fair chance of a few days of rain. In Galicia, maximum temperature 70°F/21 C and the average minimum temperature is 59°F/15°C, with more dry days than wet days.

On average: Figure about 1 Euro per KM for overall cost for the Camino. More if you choose not to stay at municipal albergues.

As far as your packs go: Take everything out that you say to yourself: "I might need this!" If that's the case, you probably don't need it. You can purchase just about everything you "might need" along the Way.

Buen Camino

Arn

Thank you all for the advice, I will find it difficult to eliminate things out of my rucksack, as I always travel HEAVY! but really apart from a few bits and pieces. comfy shorts/trousers/ tracky bottoms, tshirts, sun cream etc: I'm sure I will get it down to a bare handful of stuff!!! should be a very eventful trip, we are both in our late 50's and are a bit like Pats and Ed on absolutely Fabulous (TV)with a lot of laughter, there will be plenty of pictures should anyone be interested, we are walking for a cancer charity so its even more worth while.
Now we are really getting down to the business side of things. farewell until the next update. Scoopy.

Hello Scoopy,
Of course there's always the option of just taking too much of everything and then leaving it along the way for others or figuring out how to mail it home or forward it to Santiago. Many of us have done one or all of those the first time. One thing's for sure - you can take it but you'll quickly change your minds about carrying it very far!! :lol:
I've left socks, my Tilley hat (too hot), a jacket (gortex, too hot and too leaky), big bags of nuts, a brush, toothpaste (too big), shampoo (too heavy) and several other things I have blissfully forgotten. :roll:
Buen camino
Cecelia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for that very helpful tip on too much to carry, that would be my downfall, there would be everything I ever owned in my life jammed into that backpack!! so its really down to bare essentials! :shock:
We don't set off till August, but time is flying by :? so onward with the training!!
Thanks again.
Scoopy

I've left ... my Tilley hat
Oh no! I would leave my boots before I would leave my Tilley hat. When I forgot it in a bar in Fromista, two German girls brought it to me a couple of kilometers down the road. I am destined to keep that hat. I sure hope no Canadians read about your mistreatment of their national symbol. :D

Hola Scoopy.
One easy way to check if you have 'too much to carry' is to pack your rucksac with all you need and as if it was a hot day and you were wearing minimum clothing. Then try it on a training walk. I reckon that if I can carry everything happily, including water and all those hidden extras (soap/shampoo; snack bars.....) then I can do so on the Camino. Doing this in cold weather also means that I finish up carrying an extra fleece if I get warm enough to take it off.
If the pack is too heavy for comfort then you can decide before you leave home what you need to leave out.
Works for me :)
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
" Tilly Hat " New comer to the forum, and a 1st time serious walker! so educate me ,what is a tilly hat, is it so different from other hats, I was going to take my desert hat with brim, please enlighten! :D

Scoopy

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The other piece of advice that others have previously provided here on the forum is:

Pack what you think you'll need. Estimate how much money you'll need.
Then take half that gear and twice the money.

Any idea where we can get a pilgrims passport in the uk before we leave? if not where in Spain, we are starting in Pamplona.
Thanks Scoopy.

lynnejohn said:
The other piece of advice that others have previously provided here on the forum is:

Pack what you think you'll need. Estimate how much money you'll need.
Then take half that gear and twice the money.

Many thanks for that!!! will have to get printing!!

Scoopy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Change of plan, we are now walking from St Jean pier Du Point, instead of Pamplona, so just added added another few miles to our journey! I know I can look up a list to give us a guide on what to take, \\i found one very good list of things, Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find the link========any ideas where to find it, we set off at the end of August.

Thanks Scoopy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Scoopy: As I live in england and the weather is so similar to Ireland you may like to know before my camino, I started to carry my back pack increasing the weight till I reached 8kgs. and walked an average of 18 miles, then I emptied the pack and filled it with the stuff I thought I would need for the journey. Even so I sent ahead in the post to Santiago items that did not need, it felt like bliss!!!!. I think it cost me about €7 per kilo, so think on unless you want to leave a trail behind u.
Buen camino. I would be very interested in your blog when so set it up. Cote

Scooby,
Here's a good rule of thumb for the Summer on Camino...take Only what you need; you are not leaving civilization. For daily toilet: travel soap, shampoo, tooth paste, deodorant (please ), multi purpose towel,two walking shirts, two shorts, one fleece vest, one light weight windbreaker, one poncho, sandals or light weight slippers for shower or after boots off, light weight sleeping bag. Boots x 3pair of socks, vasoline for feet, compeed just in case. Anything else you can get.
If you are taking something you "might need" don't!

Buen "lighter is better" Camino,
Arn

Arn said:
Scooby,
Here's a good rule of thumb for the Summer on Camino...take Only what you need; you are not leaving civilization. For daily toilet: travel soap, shampoo, tooth paste, deodorant (please ), multi purpose towel,two walking shirts, two shorts, one fleece vest, one light weight windbreaker, one poncho, sandals or light weight slippers for shower or after boots off, light weight sleeping bag. Boots x 3pair of socks, vasoline for feet, compeed just in case. Anything else you can get.
If you are taking something you "might need" don't!

Buen "lighter is better" Camino,
Arn

Thank you for all your help,and support. scoopy.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back