• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking this August

Caminante Kylie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (Sarria to Santiago) - 2014
Hello! I will be walking the Camino de Frances from SJPP on August 12. They say the heatwave is crazy in Europe, especially in Spain.

Any tips from those who have been walking recently?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Not recently, but some general tips: remember to use sunscreen everywhere (the back of the hands can get quite burnt!), stick to the shades and wear a wide brimmed hat or an umbrella.
If you are staying in alergues, walking during the earlier parts of the day to avoid the sun, and if you are ok with private accomodation, walking in the evening can be pleasant. Just be sure to be aware of your surroundings.

And buen camino!

Walk very early in the day and in the evening (which may necessitate booking accommodation), be prepared to cut down on daily distances if you get blisters or other heat induced problems, if you walk in sandals (as I do) make sure you sunscreen your feet, take an umbrella for shade, and drink lots of water.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wonder if that 'military medical guy' ( sorry, don't recall his name) who often posts on the forum can elaborate on the following: As an ER nurse, I needed to apply lots of rehydration protocol. Was told by military medics and docs that if you sense you are becoming dehydrated and you only have 4 oz of water left with you and no more in sight for quite awhile...rather than taking tiny sips to try to save your water, you should drink at the very least least 2 ounces at a time. Reason being that when one begins to get dehydrated, the body will respond to water intake differently than when not dehydrated...it will immediately convert to sweat to try to cool as an emergency response, it will also throw the intake into insensible loss ie: greater loss through breathing, evaporation, even sudden watery eyes. Based on this theory, taking only a few tiny sips to try to conserve water supply is essentially wasting the water as it will not replenish the muscles or organs.

I've been fortunate so far in my travels to have only come close to a water shortage once ( after an unanticipated shut down fountain ) and haven't had to rely on rehydration protocols , but I'd like the opinion of anyone ( fact based only ) who can lend some insight. ( especially beneficial to those currently walking in the summer heat )

@davebugg ( sorry I didn't remember your name at time of post...no disrespect ! )

Last edited:
It is very possible that the shift in the Jet Stream, which has allowed the heat bubble to travel northward from Africa and keeping it over Europe, will be shifting once again and getting back to normal temps by next week. That will mean lower temps, hopefully.

Sophie, no worries about my name :) What you've related is pretty much on track. It is also a good idea to plan timed intervals -- during hot weather while active -- during which you hydrate, regardless of thirst. Start with a small intake that is easily consumed. The regular and constant nature of the hydration will provide better energy utilization to help keep you going. Also, eating requires more water as digestion is a dehydrating process. So as you snack to get calories into your engine, be sure to sip on that water to wash it down :)

On the Napoleon route, there are three primary and dependable potable water refill points ( hopefully I'm recalling correctly) at Hunto, at Orisson, and at Roland's Fountain at the border with Spain. There are also potentially two food vehicles which will have water and other fluids as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The weather forecast presently suggests that the current extreme temperatures will subside from Thursday 9th of August onwards.
It will still be hot, especially during the afternoons (it is August in Spain) but the mornings and evenings are great walking times. Also if you begin in SJPDP the weather in the first few days will also be affected by altitude too.
As others have said, try and keep to the cooler times of day, wear a good covering of uv protective clothing and sun block and keep drinking even if you aren't thirsty.
We've walked the Camino three times in August (with children too) and it is beautiful and varied and even when challenging (it is a pilgrimage after all) is always worthwhile.

Not recently, but some general tips: remember to use sunscreen everywhere (the back of the hands can get quite burnt!), stick to the shades and wear a wide brimmed hat or an umbrella.
If you are staying in alergues, walking during the earlier parts of the day to avoid the sun, and if you are ok with private accomodation, walking in the evening can be pleasant. Just be sure to be aware of your surroundings.

And buen camino!

Thank you for your response. Is it not bulky to bring an umbrella? I am considering but worried it might add extra weight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We've walked the Camino three times in August (with children too) and it is beautiful and varied and even when challenging (it is a pilgrimage after all) is always worthwhile.

Thank you! Good to hear your insights from extensive experience!

Is it not bulky to bring an umbrella? I am considering but worried it might add extra weight.

You are right to be concerned about the size and weight, i would not take a normal umbrella. What I meant is this:
https://www.santiagodecompostela.me...la/products/swing-handsfree-trekking-umbrella

So you just install it on your backpack straps and walk with no worries :) I haven't used it yet, but many people in the forum did and really said it was good to protect them from both sun and rain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back