• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with Grand-daughter

DinoD

I hope to do my first walk with my grand-daughter(13) in April-May and would appreciate any advice you kind people can give of possible problems or issues. We will only be walking from SJPDP to Pamplona.
Hope you all have a Happy and safe New Year.

Dino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Dino

Congrats on walking with your grand daughter. I took my 12 yr old nephew on the Camino Portugues in 2010 and he thoroughly enjoyed it.

He had to keep a journal and when he returned home to Australia had to give a small presentation on the Camino.

He had a small daypack and carried all his belongings. Had his own scallop shell and staff.

Be patient and take heaps of breaks. Plan small distances. How many days are you planning to take to get to Pamplona?

Enjoy

Sharon

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for the good idea of getting her to keep a diary. We are going to take it easy and do it in 7 days.
She is pretty fit and quite big for her age also the outdoor type.

Regards

Dino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I hope you both have a wonderful trip and you enjoy this bonding time with your granddaughter. You both will build wonderful memories.

Safe journey!

On vacation. Galician schoolchildren (12 years old) walk the Camino de Santiago. Sarria - Santiago. Smoothly.
You have to think in the first stage do Sant foot Port - Roncesvalles. 26 K.M. of tough climbs and descents.
It's a foggy area.
Buen Camino to Santiago.
Ultreya.

I promised my granddaughter I will take her in 7 years. She and I are both excited at the prospect.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My two daughters (ages ten and almost eight) and I are walking from SJPP to Santiago March and April 2013. I keep a blog, http://www.girlsontheway.com. Right now, it's all about preparations and fundraising (we're walking to raise money for two nonprofit organizations), but once we're out there, my blog will be all about the Camino itself (what we're experiencing).

If you follow the blog from the first week of March on, you and your granddaughter can read about our own experiences. This way, you'll have a kids' view on the same route you and your granddaughter will be taking, just one month before you actually leave.

Of course, I suspect we'll have slightly colder temperatures to deal with and not everything will be open when we first start out, but apart from that, our experiences will likely be similar to yours.

Hope that will prove helpful,
Trish

5 adults along with 1 X 13 yr old, 2 X 12 yr olds, 1 X 11 yr old walking SJPduP to Pamplona end March/early April. Taking 5 days to get to Pamplona. First time for any of us to do the Camino. Children probably 10 times fitter than adults - just hope we have no accidents and that the weather will be ok!

sergeantmajormammy said:
5 adults along with 1 X 13 yr old, 2 X 12 yr olds, 1 X 11 yr old walking SJPduP to Pamplona end March/early April. Taking 5 days to get to Pamplona. First time for any of us to do the Camino. Children probably 10 times fitter than adults - just hope we have no accidents and that the weather will be ok!

Enjoy! And don't worry about accidents - our eight-year-old ended up with a broken arm, but managed to walk with it....in the rain!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks Kiwi-family - I've been popping in and out to read your posts for the past few months. Wish you had done the SjPdP piece as a tester for us!

DinoD said:
.... any advice you kind people can give of possible problems or issues.
Maybe you won't be able to keep up with her! :D

Seriously, though, I'd just have a clear strategy for if you're walking at different paces or are happy for her to walk with a different group of friends for a while etc. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Are you considering aubergue experiences? For instance, if you are starting in SJPP the Esprit du Chemin has a beautiful community spirit, the common dinner with gentle introductions and a sense of send off. Orisson isnt very far up but it also has a nice common meal and that pass through the mountains is SO gorgeous that it can be nice to leave time to "smell the roses."
Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back