• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking with my family. Husband, two teenagers and myself

Caminofamilyhs

I'm Chris, living in Seattle. I will be walking with my family in August. We are starting in Roncevalles and walking, skipping, walking, until we get to Santiago. Unfortunately we do not have time to walk the whole thing, but I am considering this a taste of the Camino, and hope to return. And advice that anyone has would be very appreciated.

I am a little worried about not finding accommodations and having to sleep outside. I am also a little worried about bed bugs. I cannot find a reasonably priced sleep sack. Those are my biggest concerns.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. Are you aware of the local Seattle group?
They are pretty active with a walk from the Ballard Locks through Discovery Park the 2nd Sunday of each month. July 27 there is a St James Day potluck..
Lots of veteran and new Pilgrims.

I doubt that you will find yourself sleeping outside.
Send me a Private Message if you want any more Seattle information.

Ed

csdonka said:
And advice that anyone has would be very appreciated.

I am a little worried about not finding accommodations and having to sleep outside. I am also a little worried about bed bugs. I cannot find a reasonably priced sleep sack.

Hi Chris,

So exciting! What kind of advice are you looking for? Parts to walk, parts to skip?

Regarding the concerns you raised, I have been on the Camino for the last three months, and I haven't heard...any?...accounts of bedbugs. Maybe the random one or two, but certainly nothing to cause alarm.

As for a sleep sack, in order to get a lightweight one (silk), you have to spend some money. I got mine from REI for around $60. Well worth it, I assure you. Although I didn't have to buy four...

Let us know any other specific questions you have.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Nancy-

Thank you very much for your reply. I am relieved to hear about the lack of bed bugs!

As far as advice, I guess mainly we are wondering how easy it is to get beds along the way.

Our original thought was to go from St John to Roncesvalles, stopping in Orisson, but I am not sure how easy it will be to get shelter. My kids are great hikers, we just hiked 11 miles with elevation gain of 2300Ft yesterday, but I am not sure I can make it all the way to Roncesvalle in one day. If shelter is not likely, then I think we better start in Roncesvalle.

Also, do we need to bring sleeping bags? Is it a good idea to pack a tent? Is camping allowed along the Camino?

Thanks for any information you can share.

You will not need a sleeping bag in August. The biggest problem will be cooking in your own sweat at night. Bring a folding hand fan to circulate the air a bit.

eBay has silk sleeping bags for much less than REI. Treat it with permethrin. Do not be too casual about bed bugs. It was a cold spring that has gone straight to summer - 95F in Santiago yesterday. Everyone had the fan out even in the cool of the cathedral. Bed bugs will be coming out in the heat.

Hi Chris,

I love the idea of stopping in Orisson for your first night. They actually have tents available behind the gite, for a slightly lower price than the dorm beds. The tents sleep two people each, and they are really comfortable. If you'd like this option, mention it when you book (http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/auberge_compostelle_pays_basque_contact.php)

The other choices out of SJPP are Honto (5 km) and Kayola (7 km). Both should be booked in advance. Kayola bookings are done through the Orisson website. I've never stayed at Honto, but here is some information: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-ferme-ithurburia Orisson is 8 km from SJPP, and after that you will need a tent if you want to stop before Roncesvalles.

Believe it or not, but the statistic from SJPP show that fewer people start from there in August than in the busiest months - May and September. That doesn't mean that the entire way to Santiago will be less busy, as I think things bunch up from Sarria to Santiago. Nonetheless, you should be able to find beds at the albergues.

One tip, if you are game to get a Spanish SIM card, you can make advance or same-day reservations at most of the private albergues. You can put the SIM card into an unlocked phone from another country, or you can pick up an inexpensive flip phone at the shop where you buy the SIM. The company that most often has English speakers is 'Orange', and the first one you will come to will be in Pamplona.

If you don't speak Spanish, you can always find someone to make the call for you, using your phone.

If you do decide to camp, yes, you can do it along the Camino. I've never done it and am not an expert (I'm more of an 'inside' girl!), so hopefully someone else will add some input on that.

As for sleeping bags, yes if you will be camping. If you will be staying in albergues, you will need something, but I highly recommend the silk sleep sack over a traditional (even lightweight) bag.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.
Greetings to everyone, my name is Emre, I am actually from Turkey but I am currently doing an internship in Paris. I have had experience with routes such as the Lycian Way before, so I think I...