• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wall Map of Portuguese Camino

truthi

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way/Cycle/Sept 18-Oct 10, 2018
Hi there! I’d like to have one big map to put up on my wall to plan my cycling trip for the Portuguese Camino. I’m using John Brierley’s book as my guide. I’ll be doing the coastal route, mostly following the path, and at times going off the path when it’s too crowded or it seems like asphalt (hopefully there is asphalt and not just cobblestone!) would be better for me to travel on.

Any suggestions on where to purchase a large and detailed map?
Thanks,
Ruth

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No idea about where to find a map but as far cycling the coastal, I would suggest avoiding some of the boardwalks because they might be tough to maintain your balance with a fully loaded bike. The N13 runs all the way up the coast and is not heavily trafficked.

Yes. Some of the boardwalks are in brilliant condition, other parts have the odd broken or damaged boards and or railings. Some have sand hills that have moved under the boardwalk and broken through the wooden steps.

Additionally, some boardwalks are not very wide in places and cyclists may not be all that welcomed on these.

The other problem is that cyclists often ring their bell or shout while coming up behind walkers, assuming the walker in front of them can hear. People with a hearing defecit like myself usually cannot hear the warnings.
especially if a wind is blowing as well.

Additionally, looking quickly behind oneself while loaded with a backpack puts a lot of strain on the back.

If you slow down when you see walkers ahead and are prepared to wait until you can pass safely, you will be well regarded and thanked.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My group is cycling this June on the Camino Central with some side trips and hopefully the Variante Espiritual. I am using the Brierley guide and going with the assumption of a well marked path. I am a consummate planner needing to know all the details before hand. I love maps! I have not found a map for this route but believe that we will find our way by downloading google maps before we leave and using the Brierley guide on our ride. After all the detailed planning and arranging I am now free to let it play out and enjoy the experience. We are not traveling at a fast pace, only 25-40K/day so lots of time to explore on the way and slow down for every walking pilgrim as we go! Sharing the road!! This forum has been a big help in reinforcing the attitude of slow pace, soaking up the experience and learning something about ourselves in the process. Enjoy your planning, keep open to adventure, it will work out.
Bom Caminho!!

I confess I did find a map of Portugal at AAA, (Michelin) and hung it in my dining room. My husband and I are doing a 2 week exploratory trip of Portugal before the Camino. Going by car and booking our own accommodations. The map is about 6 feet long! Highlighters and sticky post-its are part of planning life. Like the Camino we are open to everything that lies between the places we stay.

No idea about where to find a map but as far cycling the coastal, I would suggest avoiding some of the boardwalks because they might be tough to maintain your balance with a fully loaded bike. The N13 runs all the way up the coast and is not heavily trafficked.
Thanks for the tip about the N13. I will definitely take this into consideration. I imagine the boardwalks are quite slick when wet, and possibly sandy, too. Is the N13 asphalt or cobblestone? Perhaps, it’s a bit of both??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes. Some of the boardwalks are in brilliant condition, other parts have the odd broken or damaged boards and or railings. Some have sand hills that have moved under the boardwalk and broken through the wooden steps.

Additionally, some boardwalks are not very wide in places and cyclists may not be all that welcomed on these.

The other problem is that cyclists often ring their bell or shout while coming up behind walkers, assuming the walker in front of them can hear. People with a hearing defecit like myself usually cannot hear the warnings.
especially if a wind is blowing as well.

Additionally, looking quickly behind oneself while loaded with a backpack puts a lot of strain on the back.

If you slow down when you see walkers ahead and are prepared to wait until you can pass safely, you will be well regarded and thanked.
Hi there,
Thanks for your reply. After reading your post and others that are similar, I have to say it’s too bad that it seems like hikers have had a tough time with cyclists. I read that local cycling clubs have been known to rush and quickly pass hikers. In general, I like to think of myself as a thoughtful and aware person, and I’ll be sure to respectful as I share the path with others. It sounds like you’ve had some rough experiences with cyclists.

Thank you for the heads up of what conditions I might find on the boardwalk.

Best,
Ruth

My group is cycling this June on the Camino Central with some side trips and hopefully the Variante Espiritual. I am using the Brierley guide and going with the assumption of a well marked path. I am a consummate planner needing to know all the details before hand. I love maps! I have not found a map for this route but believe that we will find our way by downloading google maps before we leave and using the Brierley guide on our ride. After all the detailed planning and arranging I am now free to let it play out and enjoy the experience. We are not traveling at a fast pace, only 25-40K/day so lots of time to explore on the way and slow down for every walking pilgrim as we go! Sharing the road!! This forum has been a big help in reinforcing the attitude of slow pace, soaking up the experience and learning something about ourselves in the process. Enjoy your planning, keep open to adventure, it will work out.
Bom Caminho!!

Hi Tula,
I think we have a lot in common. I’m such a planner! And I agree, that it will be good to have a plan and then see how it all plays out.

I appreciate how you plan to take it slow and not rush. I’ll follow your lead. Lately, I’ve been getting that message as I plan the trip and manage my every day life. I need to go slow!

I wish you Buen Camino!!

Best,ruth

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I confess I did find a map of Portugal at AAA, (Michelin) and hung it in my dining room. My husband and I are doing a 2 week exploratory trip of Portugal before the Camino. Going by car and booking our own accommodations. The map is about 6 feet long! Highlighters and sticky post-its are part of planning life. Like the Camino we are open to everything that lies between the places we stay.
Hi again!
For some reason I didn’t realize it was you that wrote this. Would have said something in my other message.

If you feel like it, I’d love to hear what you think after you’ve done the exploration.

The planner in me thinks the map sounds awesome! So big! I think it would fit on my wall!

-Ruth

Thanks for the tip about the N13. I will definitely take this into consideration. I imagine the boardwalks are quite slick when wet, and possibly sandy, too. Is the N13 asphalt or cobblestone? Perhaps, it’s a bit of both??
The N13 is a national highway that connects all of the towns on the coast. It is not heavily trafficked, i.e. not may semi truck, etc. It is asphalt and wide enough for bike traffic.
I agree with another response about the boardwalks: they are fairly narrow and the rails are ropes in most place which are in need of repair. If I was on a bike I'd avoid them.

Hi again!
For some reason I didn’t realize it was you that wrote this. Would have said something in my other message.

If you feel like it, I’d love to hear what you think after you’ve done the exploration.

The planner in me thinks the map sounds awesome! So big! I think it would fit on my wall!

-Ruth
I would be happy to relay some info about our trip. Thanks for the Bom Caminho! you too!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.