Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wasp swarm

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23, CF ‘23
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were bees. At the next bar, the owner said to be careful, huge swarms of wasps have been active.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Strolling around Villatuerta after a day of walking, I came across this very odd configuration of bees. With a significant amount of mutual respect, we kept our distance from one another.
They may have been resting. I have seen this behaviour in the UK, a bee keeper told me when a hive has been on the move looking for a suitable new home they will land as one group and have a rest similar to what you have seen here. They aren't dangerous as long as you don't disturb them because the Queen will be in the middle somewhere. It looks intimidating but they will avoid conflict if possible because they are tired and aware of how vulnerable they are with their Queen in the open. After a while they will carry on.

Maybe this is what you have seen.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
They may have been resting. I have seen this behaviour in the UK, a bee keeper told me when a hive has been on the move looking for a suitable new home they will land as one group and have a rest similar to what you have seen here. They aren't dangerous as long as you don't disturb them because the Queen will be in the middle somewhere. It looks intimidating but they will avoid conflict if possible because they are tired and aware of how vulnerable they are with their Queen in the open. After a while they will carry on.

Maybe this is what you have seen.
Tired and feeling vulnerable ... kind of like pilgrims?

I am so glad to read that you were not stung. Wasp stings are so painful, as are bee stings. Having been stung twice during the past four weeks by bees, I feel for anyone who suffers the same fate. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize this has been discussed in different ways...apologies for redundancy. I might have to economize in some ways when I finally do the Camino Frances, if not Sept 2024 it will be Sept 2025...
Am taking the bus from Madrid on arrival to Ponferrada to start the Camino a couple stages beyond. Hearing that Molinaseca is a very special place, began thinking of maybe detouring by bus or...
My daughter and I were going to start from SJDP in mid September but are now looking at starting late September but just wondered if this is a bad idea and if we should stick with our earlier...
Hi all, Second journey upcoming but with my wife. Coming from South Dakota, USA and walking from Burgos to Santiago and then to Muxia . She won't be able to walk much and we want to move her...
Time is rushing on 8 weeks to go, as is my training programme. I watched a lot of camino training advice on You Tube and adapted some of that to fit my ramshackle plan .My first CF back in 2015...
Is there a regular bus from the Pamplona station to Roncesvalles? Please only reply if you know of the website or phone # and if the bus is currently running this summer. Thank you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.