Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Wasp swarm

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23, CF ‘23
A few km before Portomaran, a huge swarm of wasps swooped down on a pilgrim. Thankfully, he wasn’t stung. He said it looked like a flock of sparrows that swooped down and he thought they were bees. At the next bar, the owner said to be careful, huge swarms of wasps have been active.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Strolling around Villatuerta after a day of walking, I came across this very odd configuration of bees. With a significant amount of mutual respect, we kept our distance from one another.
They may have been resting. I have seen this behaviour in the UK, a bee keeper told me when a hive has been on the move looking for a suitable new home they will land as one group and have a rest similar to what you have seen here. They aren't dangerous as long as you don't disturb them because the Queen will be in the middle somewhere. It looks intimidating but they will avoid conflict if possible because they are tired and aware of how vulnerable they are with their Queen in the open. After a while they will carry on.

Maybe this is what you have seen.

They may have been resting. I have seen this behaviour in the UK, a bee keeper told me when a hive has been on the move looking for a suitable new home they will land as one group and have a rest similar to what you have seen here. They aren't dangerous as long as you don't disturb them because the Queen will be in the middle somewhere. It looks intimidating but they will avoid conflict if possible because they are tired and aware of how vulnerable they are with their Queen in the open. After a while they will carry on.

Maybe this is what you have seen.
Tired and feeling vulnerable ... kind of like pilgrims?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am so glad to read that you were not stung. Wasp stings are so painful, as are bee stings. Having been stung twice during the past four weeks by bees, I feel for anyone who suffers the same fate. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I plan to do the CF from SJPDP on March 2025. It appears the number of days is usually 32-33 days. I know people usually take more than 33 days for various reasons. My question for people that...
When walking the Frances, is there an alternative to another route (Primitivo, Ingles) where I cross over to avoid doing the Sarria route?
I will be starting the full Camino Francés on 16th May 2025. I cannot get a sense of whether sheets/bedclothes are provided in all Albergues or not. If not, I can see the logic of bringing a...
Hi everyone, I am leaving for my Camino in 3 days on Oct 19th. I am flying to Paris, training to Bayonne and then SJPDP and will start walking on the 21st. I am hoping to get a final review of my...
Will be reaching Sarria next week, just wondering what the availability of accommodation is like at the moment? Is there a need to book ahead? I’ve mostly been winging it but have a friend joining...
I’m sure this is asked a lot, but will be finishing the French Camino this weekend and wanting to Go to Finisterre. How do you get there and back by bus? Do you need to purchase your bus tickets...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back