• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

We are grateful. Again!

MeandIan

Time of past OR future Camino
May2018
Sometimes when life throws you a moerse curveball!
We are on day 4 and have taken a rest day in Pamplona. But I wanted to share our ‘oh no’ moment.

Ten days ago, in Rome, we were rushing to get to our apartment where the taxi was waiting to take us to the airport to go to Croatia. Ian’s sandal got caught up while running and he ploughed into the cobblestones. He didn’t even stumble or trip first. He just went kadoef! He didn’t want any help when I wanted to assess his injuries so I said I’m calling the ambulance. So he said ok do what you do. So I did what I do and assessed, cleaned and patched, but still said we should go to the hospital, at least for X-rays (why are men so stubborn/scared?) His breathing is normal and not compromised and there are no respiratory symptoms. His nose didn’t even bleed, only the little laceration on the bridge which I patched. The bruise on his chest, we think, is caused by a torn muscle or cracked ribs because he struggles with movement and turning in bed etc. he said there’s no treatment for this type of injury so he’ll just assess day by day. The severe bruising was probably caused by the aspirin. I can’t even list the words I used because of his stubbornness and because this is a community forum.

But, we’re walking, he’s carrying his pack with no problem, helping me heaps of times and still brings me coffee in the mornings at the Albergues where he can. He doesn’t look as though he’s struggling like some much younger people on the Camino. Plus he’s not complaining! He knows I have a low tolerance for people who do not want medical assistance. We are just grateful that he is such a fast healer. He’s even taking anti inflammatories without question, and for that I am also grateful.

The photos show the injury and his recovery

Attachments

• 5F9E9B67-0634-4868-BF4E-77CDACA58F69.jpeg
    5F9E9B67-0634-4868-BF4E-77CDACA58F69.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 0EFC860A-25F9-4BF1-8CE8-11BA5A988911.jpeg
    0EFC860A-25F9-4BF1-8CE8-11BA5A988911.jpeg
    535.6 KB · Views: 34
  • CF9356FC-1C67-4865-9EC3-C84FF6E15EA8.jpeg
    CF9356FC-1C67-4865-9EC3-C84FF6E15EA8.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 36
  • 9AA8243C-4C17-4DB5-9682-E7CE553F0851.jpeg
    9AA8243C-4C17-4DB5-9682-E7CE553F0851.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 4EA4F4E8-E12F-4094-BCD7-B68CD1987B55.jpeg
    4EA4F4E8-E12F-4094-BCD7-B68CD1987B55.jpeg
    578.7 KB · Views: 34
  • B57322E3-E8A4-4CC7-A5D0-A375181FB635.jpeg
    B57322E3-E8A4-4CC7-A5D0-A375181FB635.jpeg
    660.6 KB · Views: 34
  • A7D88BBC-67B0-4AB8-8751-69341B4EB12C.jpeg
    A7D88BBC-67B0-4AB8-8751-69341B4EB12C.jpeg
    535.7 KB · Views: 36
  • FF8711C2-D1B9-4BA4-9EDD-1E5FDDC7F4E1.jpeg
    FF8711C2-D1B9-4BA4-9EDD-1E5FDDC7F4E1.jpeg
    531.4 KB · Views: 34
  • A36688A3-9ECF-4D8E-81DA-7E9A1992968E.jpeg
    A36688A3-9ECF-4D8E-81DA-7E9A1992968E.jpeg
    593.9 KB · Views: 36
  • D175CAEF-C78F-4847-ABDA-BED911A4E6DB.jpeg
    D175CAEF-C78F-4847-ABDA-BED911A4E6DB.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 33
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It’s a bit inappropriate to ‘like’ the photos of the walking wounded, so I’ll just send you my best wishes for Ian’s recovery from his fall and your recovery of your peace of mind. Buen Camino to you both!

My sister took a plop two years ago in the cathedral in Astoria. I did not think she would get up? But she did. Had a similar black eye, bruised knee but no concussion. We got ice immediately at our accommodation and she too was up and about (then 76) the next day! Astounding! Enjoy your Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
May Ian heal well and may you both continue to walk happily!
(I fell on my face with similar results once, and then kept going for 29 more Km that day. Not the smartest thing, but I was fine. Ugly but fine. A word to the wise...be mindful of your feet.;) )

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh goodness, what a start to your Camino! Best wishes for continued healing and no further "incidents."

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Sometimes when life throws you a moerse curveball!
We are on day 4 and have taken a rest day in Pamplona. But I wanted to share our ‘oh no’ moment.

Ten days ago, in Rome, we were rushing to get to our apartment where the taxi was waiting to take us to the airport to go to Croatia. Ian’s sandal got caught up while running and he ploughed into the cobblestones. He didn’t even stumble or trip first. He just went kadoef! He didn’t want any help when I wanted to assess his injuries so I said I’m calling the ambulance. So he said ok do what you do. So I did what I do and assessed, cleaned and patched, but still said we should go to the hospital, at least for X-rays (why are men so stubborn/scared?) His breathing is normal and not compromised and there are no respiratory symptoms. His nose didn’t even bleed, only the little laceration on the bridge which I patched. The bruise on his chest, we think, is caused by a torn muscle or cracked ribs because he struggles with movement and turning in bed etc. he said there’s no treatment for this type of injury so he’ll just assess day by day. The severe bruising was probably caused by the aspirin. I can’t even list the words I used because of his stubbornness and because this is a community forum.

But, we’re walking, he’s carrying his pack with no problem, helping me heaps of times and still brings me coffee in the mornings at the Albergues where he can. He doesn’t look as though he’s struggling like some much younger people on the Camino. Plus he’s not complaining! He knows I have a low tolerance for people who do not want medical assistance. We are just grateful that he is such a fast healer. He’s even taking anti inflammatories without question, and for that I am also grateful.

The photos show the injury and his recovery

OMG...Healing has happened in the end, it's a miracle....My motto for this year's Camino is " I take the good with the bad" As it happened I walked the last 3 weeks in this May June CF with a fracture in my foot. Symptom was swelling but no pain. The xray showed a chronic fracture and took 8 weeks to heal back home...I guess everything could have been worse.

Yikes, that looks sore! Wishing Ian a speedy recovery. I'm just home from the Camino Portugués and sporting a very ugly back eye after a little tumble in a forest. I was feeling a little sorry for myself until I saw those photos - Ian's injuries are far worse than mine!

Wishing you both a happy and incident-free Camino. It will certainly be a memorable one for both of you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OMG...Healing has happened in the end, it's a miracle....My motto for this year's Camino is " I take the good with the bad" As it happened I walked the last 3 weeks in this May June CF with a fracture in my foot. Symptom was swelling but no pain. The xray showed a chronic fracture and took 8 weeks to heal back home...I guess everything could have been worse.
That’s what Ian said

Yikes, that looks sore! Wishing Ian a speedy recovery. I'm just home from the Camino Portugués and sporting a very ugly back eye after a little tumble in a forest. I was feeling a little sorry for myself until I saw those photos - Ian's injuries are far worse than mine!

Wishing you both a happy and incident-free Camino. It will certainly be a memorable one for both of you.
He’s an incredible person

Thank you. He is psychologically strong as well

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back