• For 2024 Pilgrims: ā‚¬50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wear what you WANT!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

ā‚¬46,-
This is a little video I did for my Camino Santiago Planning Group on Facebook.
My opinion remains, "Just Wear What You Want!"

Wear What You Want Video
As sheā€™s reluctant to promote them herself; might I add that @Anniesantiago ā€˜s videos - which I understand are primarily intended for prospective members of her highly regarded accompanied walks - are an excellent ā€˜Camino 101ā€™ resource for those planning a first Camino.

As sheā€™s reluctant to promote them herself; might I add that @Anniesantiago ā€˜s videos - which I understand are primarily intended for prospective members of her highly regarded accompanied walks - are an excellent ā€˜Camino 101ā€™ resource for those planning a first Camino.
Thanks Henry :)
Actually they're for anyone planning their own Camino.
My channel is Anniesantiago13 on YouTube

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

ā‚¬60,-
Annie's accompanied walks are an excellent choice for anyone who feels the need to have some professional help on their first Camino.

A big difference is that Annie is a veteran Pilgrim and a very long time contributing member of the forum
Many other "tour" groups do not have this distinction.

"Wear what's in your closet" "Have a layering system" - that is such good advice! When we did our first camino with eight kids we wore whatever we wore at home. And for some of them that did mean denim shorts! Our one splurge had been decent raingear for everyone - but it was still something we already had for our hiking at home.
I think I'll join Annie for my next camino because I could do without getting wet;-) From Sevilla to Merida it rained every day, sometimes all day. We were sodden - and after that experience the kids saw the sense in my insistence that we keep one complete set of clothes for "after walking" and not let it get wet, even if it meant putting on damp walking clothes in the morning because they had not dried overnight. It was so good at the end of each day to have something dry to change into, especially on the day the showers were cold!

"Wear what's in your closet" "Have a layering system" - that is such good advice! When we did our first camino with eight kids we wore whatever we wore at home. And for some of them that did mean denim shorts! Our one splurge had been decent raingear for everyone - but it was still something we already had for our hiking at home.
I think I'll join Annie for my next camino because I could do without getting wet;-) From Sevilla to Merida it rained every day, sometimes all day. We were sodden - and after that experience the kids saw the sense in my insistence that we keep one complete set of clothes for "after walking" and not let it get wet, even if it meant putting on damp walking clothes in the morning because they had not dried overnight. It was so good at the end of each day to have something dry to change into, especially on the day the showers were cold!
Well, I'm from Oregon and what other folks call rain, we call fog or drizzle. :::ducking:::

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Well, I'm from Oregon and what other folks call rain, we call fog or drizzle. :::ducking:::
As you know I lived for many years in Ashland and my little one is a native Oregonian born in Ashland Community Hospital. Anyway I will watch your. video and if anyone ever asked me about a tour you will be my go to person. Funny little story. I live in Mexico now with my Mexican wife of 9 years. Her first camino experience with me was driving me to the airport. (That is about as close as she will get to a camino. As she says when people ask her. "When there is a 4 Seasons Hotel at every town I will sleep and when my husband can afford to get us a room there, then I will go to the camino and take a taxi every day.) I digress, when she saw how I was dressed as I was putting on my backpack to walk to the car she got angry and said go back in the bedroom and put some nice clothes on, you look like a bum. What if one of our friends saw you?????? I said ok but it won't be cheap for me to FedEx my clothes back from Madrid. When we got to the airport, she wouldn't park the car and kissed me and said hurry get out what if someone sees me with you?????? Got to love her!!!!!!
P.S. I agree with people should wear what they want although I would draw the line with high heels and tuxedos.

Last edited:
I think Iā€™m going to take a contrary position on this. There are many people who undertake the Camino who have little outdoor experience or have done a long hike. Iā€™d advise people to do some research on the route, of the weather during the time they plan to hike, and then seek some advice from trusted sources. @Anniesantiago ā€˜s advice to layer is a great start.

Telling people jeans are OK without knowing they plan to go over to Roncesvalles in late October could mean rescuing a wet cold pilgrim. Or a Pilgrim with heat exhaustion on the V d la Plata route.

Just my thoughts after encountering too many poorly prepared hikers.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I raise your Oregon for Manchester, England. Perpetual rain.
Iā€™ve also lived in Oregon 1967-1972, and 2019 till now. Back then, we had two seasons, the rainy season and July. But since I came back in 2019 itā€™s been mostly dry.

For what itā€™s worth (not much), in two visits to Manchester totaling eight days, I saw no rain, fog, or drizzle.

Question: I've not yet been to Spain, but traveling in other parts of Europe many times I've seen a dress code posted for Churches, sacred sites, etc. Some will take "Wear what you want" to extremes, are they likely to be denied entry to places for being inappropriately attired along the various Caminos?

Most read last week in this forum

Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Hereā€™s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
šŸ‘£ Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the FerĆ­a de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

ā“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.