• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Weather in April

LaurnaBerry

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello everyone, I'm about to do my first Camino from STPDP in April.
What is the weather like in April during the whole way to Compostela?
How cold are the mornings?
Is it jacket 🧥 or tshirt during the day?
I'm considering to either start the 2nd of April or if the weather is to cold, to start around the 15th instead, anyone knows if waiting another two weeks generally will make a big difference in temperature?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Early April is a great month to walk. On five of my walks, this is the time period we walked.
On four out of five, I was in shorts and a T shirt by late morning each day with unseasonably hot weather a couple of years.
On my fifth walk that was in late March/ early April it started unseasonably warm but changed to snow and torrential rain for days.
So impossible to say what you might face.
Best to be ready for all eventualities.
Don't take a heavy jacket, just layers to fine tune for conditions. A heavy jacket is hard to carry when you're not wearing it. I prefer a good quality poncho rather than a rain jacket with water proof pants as a poncho can be added or deleted quickly and doesn't end up as a 'sauna suit.'
I've never really been cold as walking keeps you warm. I rapidly strip layers once I have walked for a short while. How much the cold affects you really probably depends where you live in the world. Coming from Northern Alberta, I am very use to extreme cold, so Spain never really seems cold to me.
When you stop walking, then you might feel the cold, but then you are at your end destination for the day.

Last edited:
The higher mountains of northern Spain can be unpredictable at any time of the year. I started on Earth Day in 2017 from SJPdP and had nice weather. On another occasion, hiking elsewhere in the Pyrenees, it snowed on July 4th! As Trekker One suggests, it is best to be ready for all eventualities. The weather can change on a dime (or Loonie).

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hello everyone, I'm about to do my first Camino from STPDP in April.
What is the weather like in April during the whole way to Compostela?
How cold are the mornings?
Is it jacket 🧥 or tshirt during the day?
I'm considering to either start the 2nd of April or if the weather is to cold, to start around the 15th instead, anyone knows if waiting another two weeks generally will make a big difference in temperature?
Hi
I left SJPDP for the Camino on 7 April 2023, obviously weather can be unpredictable especially over the Pyrenees. I was lucky the pass was not due to be opened till the 10th April but opened up a few days earlier then expected. If the pass is not open you have to go the valley route via Valcarlos. April can be a bit chilli early morning if setting off as most Pilgrims do about 06.00hrs to 06.30hrs am. But after a few hours I found myself packing away my long sleeve top and just wearing my T Shirt and shorts. Weather within a week of leaving SJPDP soon warmed up significantly. Layer system of clothes best so you have options. But as I said weather can be unpredictable, just pack for your needs and remember go as light weight as you can.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I started CF on the 19th April. Its a very nice time to start. Very good posts already, all I can add to help you is I can remember being cold at night and also starting in the morning sometimes frost. Quite heavy snow showers at O Cebreiro. It improved after that and was quite warm. I managed with a Merino wool vest short sleeve shirt and a good fleece when it was cold. Also as has already been posted the fleece was useful in the evenings. I also used my Poncho as a wind break. There has been some discussion about types of Ponchos to use, on this forum. It might be useful to have a look at that Enjoy!

I

Thank you all for good advice 😃
What about the albergues at night in April, do most places have decent temperatures or can they be so cold that you need a thicker sleeping bag?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What about the albergues at night in April, do most places have decent temperatures or can they be so cold that you need a thicker sleeping bag?
Because of the cost of energy in Spain, some Albergues can be a little stingy with the heat. On cooler days you can expect heat during the late afternoon, early evening than it is often cut off during the night.
I have seen my breath on a few occasions close to morning. I made do with liner type of sleeping bag and found most offered blankets. On a few occasions I slept in my clothes.
Heat or lack of heat is widely variable, so not likely you will face too many cold nights.
In most cases your accommodations will reflect what you paid for them. But one notable exception was a government run albergue in O Cebreiro that was close to sauna hot all night, especially for those of us on the top bunk. The following day was walking in ankle deep or deeper snow most of the day until we got to a lower altitude and it just became a nice driving rain...bring a good poncho.

Last edited:
As Trekker One said, that's also a toss-up. Some are cold, but if they're full of pilgrims, it can get miserably warm, with people 'discussing' opening/closing windows. I always try to get a bed next to a window for this reason. I don't think you need a thicker sleeping bag - you can always put on clothes or cover yourself with your ALTUS poncho if you have one. I've done that in April in Roncesvalles and stayed quite warm. By the way, the two coldest places I've had to sleep were in Canfranc Estacion in April (or was it May?) and in Santo Domingo de la Calzada in JUNE!

If you check today's weather in north Spain you will see the temperature is in the high teens. Last week it was snowing so this gives you an insight into what everyone is saying. Its a case of finding a happy medium.
You can look forward to the cuckoo greeting you on some of the way.
In May
he sings all day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
April is normally ideal time to walk but it can be unpredictable if you hit a few rainy days Or snowing in Cebrero . I m from Spain no far from Cebrero and it has been known to snow there on most months of the year once , still the statistics are in your favour for nice weather (15 to 23 ) degrees. I will no recomend travelling on Holy Week as everything is more expensive and lots of Spaniards are on holiday. Consuelo

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back