• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question on Weather & how open next week? Go now or later in April?

MermaidRach

Time of past OR future Camino
2019, 2023 & now 2024
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route)

I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to address a few things which mean I can listen loudly: so ideally, avoid the rain / wet feet, not be slammed among crowds and have cafes / albergues open. What do you think? I'd be curious to hear of experiences from March and April on that stretch previously.

Last year I walked Frances to Leon - a profound and deep experience

I have the following questions currently:

1 - How is the weather? I read something about very muddy paths and rain.
2 - What's open, are the cafes and albergues open? One of the things I love is getting that first 10km under the belt before a coffee and some food.
3 - How far do you think I can realistically walk in 7 days?
4 - How would I then get onto Santiago for a flight?
5 - I usually travel only with what I wear, I am assuming it's going to need some warm clothes, is this correct? Any essentials at this time of year? Sleeping bag? (Im a miserable cold person!)
6 - walking over Easter, is it recommended?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
1 - How is the weather? I read something about very muddy paths and rain. https://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/leon-id24089

2 - What's open, are the cafes and albergues open? One of the things I love is getting that first 10km under the belt before a coffee and some food. It's Semana Santa places will be opening up. https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances is a good source for accommodations.

3 - How far do you think I can realistically walk in 7 days? Only you can know that.
4 - How would I then get onto Santiago for a flight? Bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro via Lugo

5 - I usually travel only with what I wear, I am assuming it's going to need some warm clothes, is this correct? Any essentials at this time of year? Sleeping bag? (Im a miserable cold person!) Unless you are staying in hotels a sleeping bag is essential IMO

6 - walking over Easter, is it recommended? Lots of people do, it's a very popular time to walk.

Happy planning

Good answers above.
Re:#3 - with all Respect Due how can we possibly know that?
I've met folks who had absolutely no problem doing 40-50 km\day while my comfort zone is about 20-25. So,yes, only you can know and since you are stating that you have walked Camino previously, well....
Good luck and Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I think, given the forecast, and if you have the option, then waiting until later in April would be a sensible option.
There is forecast snow down to 800 meters next week. Cruz de Ferro is 1600m and O Cebreiro is 1300m.

Firstly I live on south west France and the weather is for the last few days has been excellent 22/26c,but there is a big drop over the next few days .It then starts to get better. I am going on a very short visit and I am looking at about the 10 April. This is for estella onwards.

Here is a report from AEMET - predictions for Easter week. Updated daily. It is in Spanish - you can copy/paste into google translate for an English version

Attachments

• Easter week.pdf
    285.2 KB · Views: 13
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route)

I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to address a few things which mean I can listen loudly: so ideally, avoid the rain / wet feet, not be slammed among crowds and have cafes / albergues open. What do you think? I'd be curious to hear of experiences from March and April on that stretch previously.

Last year I walked Frances to Leon - a profound and deep experience

I have the following questions currently:

1 - How is the weather? I read something about very muddy paths and rain.
2 - What's open, are the cafes and albergues open? One of the things I love is getting that first 10km under the belt before a coffee and some food.
3 - How far do you think I can realistically walk in 7 days?
4 - How would I then get onto Santiago for a flight?
5 - I usually travel only with what I wear, I am assuming it's going to need some warm clothes, is this correct? Any essentials at this time of year? Sleeping bag? (Im a miserable cold person!)
6 - walking over Easter, is it recommended?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Isn’t next week Easter week? That seems like a crazy busy time

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Firstly I live on south west France and the weather is for the last few days has been excellent 22/26c,but there is a big drop over the next few days .It then starts to get better. I am going on a very short visit and I am looking at about the 10 April. This is for estella onwards.
Such a nice route from Estella, Each time I have walked through there I have had quite profound spiritual visual experiences. In exactly the same place each time. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

1 - How is the weather? I read something about very muddy paths and rain. https://www.aemet.es/en/eltiempo/prediccion/municipios/leon-id24089

2 - What's open, are the cafes and albergues open? One of the things I love is getting that first 10km under the belt before a coffee and some food. It's Semana Santa places will be opening up. https://www.gronze.com/camino-frances is a good source for accommodations.

3 - How far do you think I can realistically walk in 7 days? Only you can know that.
4 - How would I then get onto Santiago for a flight? Bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro via Lugo

5 - I usually travel only with what I wear, I am assuming it's going to need some warm clothes, is this correct? Any essentials at this time of year? Sleeping bag? (Im a miserable cold person!) Unless you are staying in hotels a sleeping bag is essential IMO

6 - walking over Easter, is it recommended? Lots of people do, it's a very popular time to walk.

Happy planning
Thanks for replying first and all the tips and links, really appreciated.

Good answers above.
Re:#3 - with all Respect Due how can we possibly know that?
I've met folks who had absolutely no problem doing 40-50 km\day while my comfort zone is about 20-25. So,yes, only you can know and since you are stating that you have walked Camino previously, well....
Good luck and Buen Camino
Thanks for the comments - and True. I would tend to do 20-30km / day.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I think, given the forecast, and if you have the option, then waiting until later in April would be a sensible option.
There is forecast snow down to 800 meters next week. Cruz de Ferro is 1600m and O Cebreiro is 1300m.
SNOW is a NO! unless skiing! Thanks for this insight - helped me make a plan :) Much appreciated

Thanks all for really valuable and quick responses, I will push back by a few weeks. Snow is not my flavour :)

I generally like to walk and listen loudly, trust the places to stay will appear at the right time, rather than book in advance. I hear it gets really full in the last 100km, so am I right in assuming it's better to book? If so, from which point in Frances would you recommend to start booking?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back