• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

weather in late may and advice on clothing!

patraidt

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
Hi, I am thinking of doing 1/2 the camino in the last 2 weeks of May. Has anyone walked during that part of the year, and if so, what was the weather typically like? Also, any suggestions on types, brands of clothing, shoes and socks?! I welcome any and all advice, suggestions, hints, and of course stories and experiences!

Thanks, Patti :D

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hola and welcome Patti.
There is plenty of information on equipment in this section of the forum http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/equipment-questions/ just to get you started :)
Most of us favour lightweight hi-tec clothing and personally I favour low boots which give me some ankle support. However you will see that there are widely differing views on clothes and especially boots and shoes.

As far as the weather is concerned it might be hot/cold/wet/dry, partly depending on where you are starting and also on what sort of weather next year brings.

It might help to give clearer answers if you can give some idea of where you live (UK/USA/Australia....) because of availability of brands, and also where you plan to walk from and to.
Meanwhile happy planning as you search this site and Buen Camino

Patti, for climate information, you might try http://www.spain.climatemps.com/ and look for the listing of regions and cities at the bottom of the page.

In the past when I have used this, it has been pretty good, but some pages weren't working this morning (Australian time). I hope this is just site maintenance being done rather than a more systemic issue.

One should be prepared for the climate, and only on the day worry about the weather :)

Regards,

A selection of Camino Jewellery
patraidt said:
Hi, I am thinking of doing 1/2 the camino in the last 2 weeks of May. Has anyone walked during that part of the year, and if so, what was the weather typically like? Also, any suggestions on types, brands of clothing, shoes and socks?! I welcome any and all advice, suggestions, hints, and of course stories and experiences!

Thanks, Patti :D
Hi Patti

Are you planning to do the first or second half? The first half is likely to be drier (once you're beyond the mountains), while the second half and especially Galicia is often wet to some extent. Last year I walked all through May and we were so lucky that it was shorts and t-shirts most of the time, but never too hot to walk. My profile picture shows one of the few occasions I wore my rain jacket and even then it wasn't zipped up! :D Be prepared but hope for the best.

As Tia already mentioned brands etc depend on where you are, but walking in May you won't come up against severe weather or other conditions unless you're very unlucky. Spend your money on good footwear first and foremost. Your fleece and rain jacket probably don't have to be state-of-the-art in my opinion.

Buen Camino!

thank you everyone for your helpful suggestions and links! it is very easy to get lost in these links and keep reading and learning! hours are easily whiled away doing this. so far i think i am on the right track, as far as light weight clothes, and to be as simple as possible. less is more! i love all the suggestions of taking a few "luxuries", or a few things that just simply make you feel good and put a smile on your face! i already had those few things as "essentials" on my packing list. foot wear is my next focus, and travelling arrangements, which airport to fly too from vancouver canada, and if i can leave a small bag stored somewhere at the start of the trek? i am starting at st jean pied de port, and doing the first half.

i am getting quite excited!

many thanks again to everyone and their wonderful feedback

patti

I walked the northern route in May of 2011, May 1 to June 6. The weather is different on that route than the regular route, cooler for the most part. Each hostel I stayed in provided us with a pillow and blanket, so a silk sheet sleeping bag would've been plenty but I had a regular sleeping bag. I took a fleece jacket and only used it a couple of days. But the most surprising thing was the raingear, the people that were the driest were the ones who wore rain ponchos and bare legs. Full raingear will eventually soaks through, a plastic rain poncho kept me the driest.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back