well my camino came to an abrupt halt

Andrew

Oct 2, 2013
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2014)
well long story but my camino finished way earlier than i expected. due to pushing to hard on a dodgy knee, heat exhaustion and dehydration coupled with spiritual full fulfillment and a subsequent panic that i had to reach kyle after he had been pick-pocketed of 200E i left an aulbergue at villamyor de mejardin that i paid two nights for and have yet to rest my head on the bed at 12:00 midnight and got lost ended up on main road ( A Big No No! en Espania) fell from my full height of 6'8" with a full pack .....head injury police lift to Las Rocas then by bus to logrono to finally see my son ......two episodes of night wanderinging and two trips to emergency resultining in ? concussion syndrome . train trip back to Barcelona flight home and re checked in scottish A&E and finally GP this am .....need to rest and recover knee ok ish.....tired ++++ but a plus is my tasetbuds have been awakened and i made tapas today and was in 7th heaven...

Kyle still walking and still on track for Santiago on 4th july his 18th birthday and home the 5th he's the kilt wearing lad who is making a big impression in spain and makes his mum n dad so proud!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

trevorcc

May 26, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
SJPD to Santiago 2013,2014, Camino de Levante Sept. 2016, Frances March 2018, planning 2020
Hang in there, as there will be another trip I pushed myself with renal failure got as far as Sarria end in hospital 8 days five more when I got home but I am back in September. You have had a little delay you will finish.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Stephen Nicholls

Steve Nicholls, Suffolk, U.K.
Jul 26, 2011
Suffolk, U.K.
snicholl5.wix.com
Too many caminos to list in the permitted 100 characters!!
Well, Andrew, that was rotten luck - but you're still in one peice, and can always return for another attempt.
It's not a very rare thing - having to change plans totally, or even give up. But it needn't stop you trying again!
On my 2nd camino, I had to give up, due to blisters needing hospital treatment [and it rained EVERY day]. But I've completed two more caminos since then, and am now looking forward to Pilgrimage V maybe in June 2015, around the north coast of Galicia. [Diaries on my web site.]
So .... good luck, Andrew, get 100% better, then maybe think again of next year.
Meanwhile, well done Kyle! :)
Buen camino!

Al the optimist

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2012
Wolverhampton, England
Sorry to here of your problems. Maybe I can cheer you up. When did you start? I met someone (who and where he was and from what country I don't remember) who while talking asked me if I had seen 2 men in kilts. He said they were great company and hoped to find them again. Maybe it was you two, after all there are not many kilted warriors on the way! I started from SJPdP on the 11th and got to Leon on the 28th and it was somewhere in-between.

Reactions: Andrew and wayfarer
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Olivares

Veteran Member
Jul 12, 2011
USA
May 1997 (Leon to Santiago); Sections Camino Frances: May 2011, May 2012, May 2013, October 2013, June-July 2014 (Sahagun to Santiago).
Andrew-- the Camisno isn't going anywhere so on to good healing and plans for the next adventure! Very sorry to hear the events that made you change plans, but it seems to me you are making lemonade out of lemons! All the best Amigo! Buen Camino!

cathyanderson63

Jun 5, 2014
Take care ... Buen Camino to your son .
My (22y) just finished last Sunday as part of study abroad program. She too had knee problems - and will need medical intervention when she returns. Currently, she is traveling in Italy with my husband who met her in Madrid about 4 hours AFTER she had been robbed (in downtown Madrid- pleasant phone to get at 3:00 am).

My husband & I will be walking September 2015 - I worry about dehydration, etc. we will have 6 weeks starting in SJPDP. ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403186760.345253.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403186801.179088.jpg

- the best to your son on the rest of his journey and I hope you are up and around soon.

Update when your son lands.
• Cathy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

november_moon

Veteran Member
Mar 10, 2012
It's not a very rare thing - having to change plans totally, or even give up. But it needn't stop you trying again!

Absolutely. We had to cut our Camino short as well, due to a family emergency at home, but we have already started talking about our next go :)
When we had to leave the Camino, our friends reminded us that the Camino wasn't going anywhere and that it would wait for our return.

Reactions: Andrew and Lise T

Andrew

Oct 2, 2013
Camino Frances (2014)
well guys kyle is now moved on to Leon and has 13 days + 13 stages to go,

meanwhile in Escossia i am in progress of restoring a vintage roll top desk , have re organised my shed detailed the car all things i can devote all my focus on an is grounding me

Sorry to here of your problems. Maybe I can cheer you up. When did you start? I met someone (who and where he was and from what country I don't remember) who while talking asked me if I had seen 2 men in kilts. He said they were great company and hoped to find them again. Maybe it was you two, after all there are not many kilted warriors on the way! I started from SJPdP on the 11th and got to Leon on the 28th and it was somewhere in-between.

yup loads of nice folk talking about kilted warriors Al ..........

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Jun 24, 2014
Haute Savoie, France & Umbria, Italy
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
Oct 2018 (Via Francigena stage)

Most read last week in this forum

Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
Now it's done, and I'm showered, fed and generally numbed with alcohol, it was great. Fortunately, the weather was cool all day, the rain held off and the terrain was rolling countryside. But...
Hello; I started my camino on May 15th, today husband and I walked from Roncesvalles to Zubiri. I did the Camino in 2019 and the path from alto erro to Zubiri has eroded and is more hazardous...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
We are in Santa Marina del rey staying at a hostel costing 59 euros after redirecting from our destination which was San Martin del Camino. We found the albergues were all booked or closed after...
Hi Forum! Just to reassure those starting now and the next week, but I was in Roncesvalles last night and, though full and busy, I talked to the hospitalero who told me, there were still 27 empty...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides