• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What a difference a day makes! (Not to get complacent...)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dawn looking back towards Castrojerez....and at some point when I can get computer access I'll post a pic is the blizzard from the canal tow path going to Fromista 24 hours later. It was beautiful but a bit intense. I pulled into the hotel in Poblacion to get some life into my numb hands. All layers very much appreciated!!!

Attachments

• tmp_11832-20160330_08141519625002.jpg
    tmp_11832-20160330_08141519625002.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Dawn looking back toads Castrojerez....and at some point when I can get computer access I'll post a pic is the blizzard from the canal tow path going to Fromista 24 hours later. It was beautiful but a bit intense. I pulled into the hotel in Poblacion to get some life into my numb hands. All layers very much appreciated!!!
Snow at Fromista?? It's so hard to imagine what this part of the Meseta must look like covered in the white stuff. I only had to put up with intermittent showers. Stay warm (and dry if possible). Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well we will be thinking of you...even if we don't have the good fortune to see you!
I'm not sure what day I'm leaving. It's the 5th, whatever day that is.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We were comfortably asleep in the Albergue in Villafranca M de O. When at 0530 lighting and thunder woke us. We walked to the door at 0730 to find it snowing heavily. It snowed all day an when we awoke this sunshine with a -3c, but better walking.

And now today, the perfect day for walking. From Carrion, with its very special Madonna...to Peaceable Kingdom, where I am now--enjoying Reb and Paddy's wonderful hospitality.
Work calls, so tomorrow my walking journey ends in Sahagun and I jump ahead to Santiago by train. The credencial will get finished another time. Buen Camino and stay safe out there, everyone!

Attachments

• tmp_15492-20160331_17322019625002.jpg
    tmp_15492-20160331_17322019625002.jpg
    470.9 KB · Views: 19
  • tmp_15492-20160401_130941-1131337667.jpg
    tmp_15492-20160401_130941-1131337667.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 21
  • tmp_15492-20160401_103836-2131948270.jpg
    tmp_15492-20160401_103836-2131948270.jpg
    871.3 KB · Views: 21
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I feel vindicated. Thank you for this report from the Camino.

Often, folks will scoff at my recommendations to take additional layers or items that can be used to increase warmth, like Buffs, watch caps, or gloves. There is a reason for my suggestions. The weather along most Camino routes can be very unpredictable, especially in the spring.

I experience snow at elevations over 700 meters every year. Hypothermia is nothing to scoff at...had that too my first year out.

I arrive in Madrid next Tuesday, and plan to start my Camino from there next Thursday. Yes, I am prepared for whatever the fickle Spanish weather has to throw at me. Although I always hope for dry conditions, I know by now, not to bet on it.

As our late friend and colleague, the late Rev. Philip J. Wren, was fond of saying: " The rain in Spain, falls mainly...on Galicia..." He was SOOO right!

Yes t2andreo...GLOVES. And the other morning even with layers, gloves, and hat, I had to stop in the very nice hotel in Poblacion to warm up. Wet snow is pretty chilling. The proprietor was so kind and kept saying it didn't matter that I'd brought in an avalanche of slush that left a puddle on the floor when I took off my poncho....and she had to help me with my zipper because even with good gloves I could no longer feel my hands. I'd definitely been headed in the hypothermia direction.
And I said a few prayers of thanks at Philip's tree yesterday. It happened to be warm and sunny so I could linger and reflect.

Viranani - Thank you for helping make my point my point! In early April, you experienced rain, snow (slush) and cold weather. You KNOW what it is like to be so cold that you start to develop hypothermia! Another convinced pilgrim. But, I sense from your experience, that this is not the first time.;)

Also, thank you for saying prayers of remembrance at Philip's tree just before Moratinos. Rebekah planted the tree, and and the two of us installed the memorial plaque in May 2014. I plan to stop there, halfway on my Camino from Madrid, towards the end of this month. I too, wish to pay my respects to Phil and his memory.

FYI - for all of you who did not know Philip Wren, he was a Methodist minster from a town near Liverpool, England. His user name on the Forum was "MethodistPilgrim98" if I recall correctly. Anyway, Phil was compelled to give up active ministry due to serious medical problems.

In his forced retirement and never-ending search for self-realization, fulfillment and as his continuing ministry, Phil walked segments of the Camino 11 times, up to and including his passing on 1 May 2013. His 2013 trip was the completion of his third full Camino, done in segments as his health, time and finances permitted. Phil had at least one critical health problem that, in the end, was the proximate cause of his passing. A special Mass was dedicated solely to Phil at the Cathedral in Santiago when word of his passing reached there.

I walked portions of this final Camino with Phil, for about a week out of St. Jean Pied de Port. I was on my first Camino. We met at the family-style dinner at Orisson the first night out. This is another reason why Orisson is so special to me. In the week I knew him, he taught me a lot about the Camino, it's culture, history, and the sociology of pilgrims. We were from different countries, cultures (sort of) and political leanings. But, I like to think he stoked the fire I continue to have for the Camino.

Phil worked assiduously for the Confraternity of St. James (CSJ) in the UK and was part of their "Speaker's Bureau." He would travel to give presentations to anyone who would listen to his accounts of the Camino. During the week we walked together, I helped him capture video recordings, especially of nature along the route. Among other things, I would hold his outrageously bright orange poncho aside so the wind would not ruffle it and make noise as he was filming.

In particular, I recall him telling me that the sound of the wind rustling through the tall winter wheat he was filming west of Puente de Reina, was to him the sound of God in nature. That was a very profound statement at the time. These recordings were intended for his future presentations for the CSJ. They were found with his belongings and returned to his family.

We walked into Logrono together on 30 April 2013, I to my reserved bed, and Phil to the municipal albergue. I distinctly remember Phil telling me "...this is where my Camino ends..." as we exchanged parting words and went our separate ways. At the time he said it, he was referring to the fact that he also told me that the following day, he was taking a bus to the coast, then a ferry back to the UK . But, to this day, I cannot help wondering if his statement was prophetic. Phil went to sleep that evening, and did not wake up.

The next morning, fellow pilgrims discovered him deceased, in his bunk. I learned of this about a week later walking out of Burgos. I like to think that, while no one enjoys the thought of their passing, Philip departed at a time and place of his preference. How profound is that?

The memorial tree near Moratinos is a result of Phil's lasting impact on the Forum, and the Camino writ large. A group of us from the Forum donated funds to obtain the tree and the memorial plaque. Rebekah was kind enough to coordinate things and obtain permission from a local farmer to plant the tree together with the nearby plaque.

I shall always remember him. As an FYI, Phil's Memorial Tree is located about half a Km BEFORE Moratinos, on the right side of the cinder trail you walk into "town." There is a small plaque at the base of the tree. if you pass the large, white, rectangular building that is on the left, you went a little too far...I mean, it's a tree. There is no neon sign identifying it. You need to know it is there...;)

Here is Phil walking through the beech grove in the Pyrenees during that week we walked together, photo by Stuart. I was not nearby when the shot was taken, but Stuart kindly sent it to me afterwards.

Camino 2013 - 1.jpg

Buen Camino y'all...

€149,-
Thank you for the detailed remembrances, t2andreo. I was familiar with Phil's basic story but you've added rich and moving detail. A remarkable being.
And yes...hypothermia is not to be messed with. If you begin to feel weird and fuzzy-headed or just want to sit beside the track and go to sleep, it's a good idea to get to where you can warm up ASAP.
A damp cold wind can suck the heat out of you fast, especially if you have wet head, hands, and/or feet. Even if you're walking at a good clip your core temperature can drop...so take care out there everyone: it's not such nice weather in Galicia right now!

Tomorrow morning I fly out of Santiago. Tonight the perfect end of the perfect Camino. A long and lingering meal with SYates, Cclearly, and her SIL.
We left SY at an impressive looking tapas bar not far from the Cathedral. Perhaps this'd be a good possible Tertulia alternative?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I shall always remember him. As an FYI, Phil's Memorial Tree is located about half a Km BEFORE Moratinos, on the right side of the cinder trail you walk into "town." There is a small plaque at the base of the tree. if you pass the large, white, rectangular building that is on the left, you went a little too far...I mean, it's a tree. There is no neon sign identifying it. You need to know it is there...;)

Thank you so much for sharing such a special tribute @t2andreo.
What a truly remarkable Camino journey Phil had.
I have bookmarked your post and we will definitely keep a lookout for the memorial tree.

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back