• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is it possible to get stamps from Albergues if not staying there?

VmK

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2024
Hello,
I am from Australia and very new to Camino.

We will be starting the Camino from Sarria. Our Camino tour agency has made reservations for us to be sleeping in hotels. I read that stamps can be obtained from Albergues or businesses such as bars. As we walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, we will be passing many Albergues and bars. Will Albergues still seal a stamp for us if we are not going to stay for the night?

I do not speak Spanish and it would be very embarrassing to have the businesses getting upset with us and rattle in Spanish without us understanding what is going on.

I hope to obtain some guidance.

Thank you

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, but you will be able to get your credential stamped at the hotels you sleep at, along with bars, churches and other places you pass.

Albergues are usually busy registering pilgrims, so if you want stamps from them you would have to wait in line.

You probably meant "will albergues give me the stamp if we DON'T spend the night there? ".
That's a good question and I honestly don't know the answer to that.
However there is no requirement to have Stamos from albergues only thet you can provide at least 2/day and even that only if you want to get Compostela...
I would not worry about getting them in bars after all you ARE on Camino in "Camino territory". Practically every bar and Cafe on route has and will provide one. Sometimes the stamp is just sitting on z counter or separate table for the Pilgrims to help themselves. Else you can always politely ask "Sello, por favor?"
The prudent and nice way though would be to order something; thus I always got mine when I stopped for a Dessayuno or a little break and got Kaz Limon
That said, for all you know, the hotels you are booked into may very well have them as well.

Good luck and Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Some albergues will, others don’t - it’s truly up to each one individually. If you are worried about get enough stamps, don’t. They are everywhere

Stamps can be had anywhere; as a non-albergue person, I always had recourse to a sello from my casa rural/whatever, but I would get one from the parish church if there was an evening mass (on more obscure caminos, you might get a drink from the priest), or the ayuntamiento-- staff always seemed pleased by the diversion or, from time to time, the Guardia Civil. One pilgrim got a stamp from a rabbit abbatoir, which can't be that common. But if you only got stamps from bars, the pilgrimage office might shake their heads in dismay. They still count.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As previously mentioned, you can get sellos at bars, churches, police stations and many other places. I once got a sello in an emergency room. After a doctor patched up my foot, I half-jokingly asked, "Do I get a stamp to remember you by?" And he casually walked across the exam room, opened a drawer, and returned with his sello.

Last edited:
If you are walking from Sarria in the spring, summer, or fall there will be lots of places to get a stamp. Churches may be open, bars, etc will have a stamp. If you stop for a snack or soda, get a stamp.

Last year the Guardia Civil had a mobile sello unit as well. Van with a multinational police presence.

That said, for all you know, the hotels you are booked into may very well have them as well.
I have stayed at numerous hotels on my many Caminos and I must say the majority of the sellos have been quite generic and soulless; little more than a return address label. Possibly the hotels located along the Camino Frances route have sellos similar to the lovely, creative stamps from the albergues.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As previously mentioned, you can get sellos at bars, churches, police stations and many other places. I once got a sello in an emergency room. After a doctor patched up my foot, I half-jokingly asked, "Do I get a stamp to remember you by?" And he casually walked across the exam room, opened a drawer, and returned with his sello.
That's the most classic example I have ever heard but I love it. I might need to visit the doctor too. Can you please tell me which location it is?

Getting stamps isn't a problem. Churches, restaurants, hotels, townhalls.. even McDonalds has a stamp.

Some places have them sitting on a desk to stop pilgrims from asking at the counter.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

We will be starting the Camino from Sarria. Our Camino tour agency has made reservations for us to be sleeping in hotels. I read that stamps can be obtained from Albergues or businesses such as bars. As we walk from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela, we will be passing many Albergues and bars. Will Albergues still seal a stamp for us if we are not going to stay for the night?

I do not speak Spanish and it would be very embarrassing to have the businesses getting upset with us and rattle in Spanish without us understanding what is going on.

Thank you
Yes. I worked in albergues and people would come in all the time just for the stamp. Not a problem.

In general: yes you can get a stamp.
But at the same time: I am a former albergue owner and I have mixed experience with it. Just know that hospitaleros have very long days in a very long season. I was happy to give a stamp when I would have time or would be in the albergue.
But at the same time, I was shocked sometimes too in this subject. Shocked when people knocked on my door when it was closed in the spare resting hours I had, kind of demanding a stamp. People just going to nearly every albergue on their way to ask for a stamp, like it was a stamprace. Passing every border I had.

This is not at all what anyone here is suggesting, but please, don't push anyone for a stamp.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,

Thank you
Yes. Stamps are everywhere. If you have to do it yourself where they just leave it out, like some church’s and restaurants, just make sure to write the date in at the same time so you don’t forget the date. And yes, hotels will have stamps from the most expensive hotels to the least expensive hotels. I tried to get one stamp at my lodging and one at a church each day but wasn’t always able to get one at a church depending the day and would just get one at a bar/restaurant just to be safe. I aimed for two each day even though I started in France but I tried to manage them where I would have enough space in my book at the end for the Santiago stamp and two each day from Sarria.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Every business has a stamp. No need to go to albergues if you are not staying there - your hotel, bars, cafes, grocery stores will stamp for you if you're there. Albergues won't refuse to stamp your credential if you're not staying there and you can't find a stamp somewhere else, but it is more polite to get your stamp where you are staying, eating, drinking etc. if they have them. No need to go knocking on doors of albergues where you are not staying. As many said here before: stamps are everywhere!

Hello,

Thank you
Your hotels will have stamps all along the way. No worries.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Most albergues are closed after the last peregrino leaves in the morning (about 8 a.m.) until about 4p.m. But as everyone else has said, you don't have to get stamps from albergues. It may be a bit tricky if you're in a large group, if you all want to get a stamp in your hotel at the same time. But it should be easy to arrange.

Although I really like my credentials, the only great stamps I get on any route are from albergues and churches. I do not have "sellomania", so never considered asking for one at bars, tiendas, etc.

For those of you who collect the stamps from many non-religious places, (both the main routes and less traveled ones), do they often have artistic representations relating to the Camino, or not?
My experiences with hotel sellos have been quite generic and little more than a return address label, although they have not been from the Frances route; possibly those are better. 🤔How about sellos from bars?

Last edited:
may be a bit tricky if you're in a large group, if you all want to get a stamp in your hotel at the same time.
Not really. When you register for the night just have them stamp your credential then. You need to show your passport when you register - I keep them together in the same zippered pouch, so it becomes natural to pull them both out at the same time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

Thank you
Most hotels should have them though I've encountered a couple who didn't. The albergues probably will be closed getting ready for the next round of guests so it would be inconsiderate to pound on their doors, though I have gotten a couple passing by an albergue at 8-9 am after I couldn't get one where I stayed the night before. The larger albergues probably would not even realize whether you stayed there or not if you wandered in while people are packing up and leaving. You might encounter a cranky bar owner upset that he's giving more free stamps than selling coffees or someone who's shorthanded with a line of people to serve, but in general, 90% of people who have stamps realize it's generally good for business and are glad to give them. Some owners just leave them out for convenience of pilgrims. You might not find an open bar if you're leaving a town at 6 or 7 am, but there are more places to get stamps on that section of the Camino than any other.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
From experience...most definitely YES. While on the Via de la Plata last year my wife and I had been walking for a number of hours - having started the path from our accommodation well before sunrise. By this time I was desperately in need of a coffee, and coming into Fuenterroble de Salvatierra was disappointed to not find an open bar. However (and out of character) we plucked up the courage to pop into an albergue (Albergue de Peregrinos) and asked if we could buy a coffee! Well...such a welcome and warm hospitality followed. Not only were we led to the coffee pot, but 'tostada and marmalada' soon followed as we were ushered to sit at the table. The Hospitalera (a lady from China) asked if we would like our passports stamped - and then duly summoned another Hospitalero (the albergue cook) who drew a very special stamp in our credentials. A pretty amazing welcome, and well worth a good donation on departure. It was one of the many highlights of our pilgrimage. IMG_5670~photo-full.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5664~photo.JPG
    IMG_5664~photo.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5671~photo-full.jpg
    IMG_5671~photo-full.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5672~photo-full.jpg
    IMG_5672~photo-full.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5764~photo-full.jpg
    IMG_5764~photo-full.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
What's really annoying is when they stamp your credencial upside-down. I even came across one stamp where the arrow drawn on the handle was the wrong way up.

For those of you who collect the stamps from many non-religious places, (both the main routes and less traveled ones), do they often have artistic representations relating to the Camino, or not?
Chris, this website has a collection of 3,850 sellos to view; truly a plethora of them. ;) Use the pulldown menu at the top to start.

https://www.lossellosdelcamino.com/

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello,

Thank you
Don’t worry about getting stamps. They are everywhere, stores, bars, restaurants, almost all accommodations. This is true particularly along the route from Sarria since it is so well traveled.

What's really annoying is when they stamp your credencial upside-down. I even came across one stamp where the arrow drawn on the handle was the wrong way up.

Hardly annoying IMO. I have some of those in my credenciales. I find them rather quirky and fun.
Mistake is quick to make I know from experience when I had to stamp my credencial myself... :)

Hardly annoying IMO. I have some of those in my credenciales. I find them rather quirky and fun.
Mistake is quick to make I know from experience when I had to stamp my credencial myself... :)

Hardly annoying is right, IMHO. OH what I would give to posses "an inverted Jenny" 🛩️ ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Some albergues will, others don’t - it’s truly up to each one individually. If you are worried about get enough stamps, don’t. They are everywhere
This may be a stupid question but where should I get the book for me to get stamped? I will start my Camino this March 20 from Sarria.

This may be a stupid question but where should I get the book for me to get stamped? I will start my Camino this March 20 from Sarria.
What you are looking for is called a credencial. Several of the albergues in Sarria can sell you one. Look at the Gronze website and see which ones say "Expiden la Credencial" in their details.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. I worked in albergues and people would come in all the time just for the stamp. Not a problem.
As long as the businesses do not get upset with me, I am fine. I just want to have a peaceful and memorable Camino with my parents.

I am looking forward to hear your experience. Mine starts in April.

I stopped for café con leche at least once in every village and got a sello from them. Got a sello from at least one albergue in every village whether I slept there or not. And frequently from a shop or oficino de turismo. But I put them in my diary with comments about the place and the area.

However, some albergues will demand to see a credencial before they’ll do anything at all. I did not encounter many such.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As hospitalero, I estimate I apologized for that mistake at least once a week.

But if you only got stamps from bars, the pilgrimage office might shake their heads in dismay. They still count.
Just north of Canaveral, the Via de la Plata passed through the parking lot of a "puti club" aka brothel. They were closed when I walked through being mid-morning, so I was not able to ask for a sello. I wonder if the Pilgrim's Office would notice if I had a sello from a brothel?

Just north of Canaveral, the Via de la Plata passed through the parking lot of a "puti club" aka brothel. They were closed when I walked through being mid-morning, so I was not able to ask for a sello. I wonder if the Pilgrim's Office would notice if I had a sello from a brothel?
There was what I suspected was a house of ill repute west of La Isla on the del Norte, and the same question came to my mind. Enquiring of a more experienced pilgrim, she suggested that if the volunteer at the Pilgrims' Office was a priest, I could likely count on the sello being accepted--- she noted that the clergy have seen everything.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back