• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What did the Camino change for you?

Elkino

Time of past OR future Camino
Aug-Sept 2015
As I've just finished my first Camino and met a lot of people who walked the Camino for a special reason, I started to wonder. Some people have something to 'get over with', something to forget, to give a place in their life, something to try to understand, to deal with, etc.
But others are trying to find something new, like a future plan for themselves. They feel their life is not going the way they want and they look for inspiration.

So... anyone wants to share what the camino changed for him or her? What great ideas/projects did you come up with (during the walk or afterwards)? How did you make that switch you had hoped for in your life?

I'd love to hear some nice stories about what the time on the Camino has means for you... :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The immediate effect on me was a surge in self confidence - in a good way - and personal responsibility. It gave me the courage to make some major decisions which changed how I work, the type of work I do, the priority I now give other things. All good.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Elkino, congratulations on finishing your first camino and wonderful first post btw! :)

Maybe it taught me that taking 5 weeks off for myself, to do something that mattered just to me....was ok. Even if it was something no-one else understood, at the time.
I was not looking for anything especially, no answers or whatever, I had no idea when I first set out if I would even make it over the Pyrenees and I don't think it would even have mattered. I just wanted the chance (and the luxury!) to at least have a go, before it was too late?
What came of it was - like for Kanga - an increased confidence in myself and the wonderful, wonderful opportunity to walk to Jerusalem 2 years later. That would never have happened without my first Camino and I shall be forever grateful :cool:

Another outcome was that it also gave my husband the Camino bug :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As I've just finished my first Camino and met a lot of people who walked the Camino for a special reason, I started to wonder. Some people have something to 'get over with', something to forget, to give a place in their life, something to try to understand, to deal with, etc.
But others are trying to find something new, like a future plan for themselves. They feel their life is not going the way they want and they look for inspiration.

So... anyone wants to share what the camino changed for him or her? What great ideas/projects did you come up with (during the walk or afterwards)? How did you make that switch you had hoped for in your life?

I'd love to hear some nice stories about what the time on the Camino has means for you... :)
What did it change for you?

Elkino what did it change for you

I'm starting from Sarria on September 30th. As soon as I made the decision to go a few months ago, I bought the ticket and paid CaminoWays the fees to set up lodging and bag transfer. I paid for the arrangements immediately because I feared that I would chicken out at the last minute (like now since my departure is 2 weeks from tomorrow).

I hate walking. I'm 100 pounds overweight. I'm 68 and in bad shape. I also work full time at a fairly demanding social work role that leaves little energy to get to the gym at the end of the day. I'm feeling the aging process and need a jolt to my routine and something that will force me to build exercise into my life to stave off the inexorable effects of the aging process.

Another reason, probably equally as important, is that I've tried travel by myself a few times since my husband died an early death 10 years ago. Very lonely experience. It happens that, although I have a number of friends, I don't have a travel buddy. The Camino provides a travel experience that won't feel lonely.

Another reason, probably equally as important, is that I am "a seeker."

I am just back from a sabbatical of 4 months. First walked from Burgundy to Santiago (arrived there the 20th of July), then worked six weeks as a volunteer. I planned my sabbatical because I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue my job and the way I live.

The Camino (and the volunteer work) brought me more than I could hope for. Apart from a fantastic experience. Vague ideas became clear. I now have a Big Plan for the future: quit my office job, move to the countryside of Spain and start my own little brewery there! It might take me a while, but I am going to give it a serious try. The Camino changed 'I don't dare, I can't do this, its just a dream' into 'I want this and I am only going to find out if I try'.

What did it change for you?

For now (only home for a couple of days yet), it's still a lot of ideas and vague plans.
I didn't set the expectation to receive clear plans really. I don't know whether we ever know what we want in life until we really give it a try and see whether it works.
But, what I had hoped to find (and guess I did find :)) is the will and energy to try these things and to go for it.
I can't wait to explore the ideas and plans I had during my camino and see what comes of it.

Another reason I wanted to make this trip was to, after a couple of surgeries, kind of prove to myself that I could do this kind of hikes again. It was some sort of test and I'm the luckiest person to have found out that, at your own pace, everything is possible. I made it my mission to convince every person that tells me 'but you're young, I can't do that anymore...' or 'I'm not trained very well'... that they CAN make this trip at their own pace too.

What a wonderful experience this Camino was... :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am just back from a sabbatical of 4 months. First walked from Burgundy to Santiago (arrived there the 20th of July), then worked six weeks as a volunteer. I planned my sabbatical because I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue my job and the way I live.

The Camino (and the volunteer work) brought me more than I could hope for. Apart from a fantastic experience. Vague ideas became clear. I now have a Big Plan for the future: quit my office job, move to the countryside of Spain and start my own little brewery there! It might take me a while, but I am going to give it a serious try. The Camino changed 'I don't dare, I can't do this, its just a dream' into 'I want this and I am only going to find out if I try'.

Oh wow, that is a cool plan!! Will you write about it on your blog?

Oh wow, that is a cool plan!! Will you write about it on your blog?
Well actually I am thinking about starting a blog about this other kind of Camino (more a camino in life). Have to work out the idea a bit more (and think if it is clever, while my employer might read it too..).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In the U.S., that would be quitting your job! :) Except for some academics and clergy, it is impossible (almost) to take 4 months off.
I have searched and waited 3 years for this opportunity, but I know I am extremely lucky I could do this!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back