• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What happened to my OSMand app?!

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
Is it just me? A few days ago it started to display red Xs everywhere:
20220105_195408.jpg
I updated the app, but there has been no change.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m not familiar with the app but I’m curious. I went to the website and although I couldn’t find that exact icon it does look like the location icons have some customizable settings. Do the locations link to locations of significance for you or are they just general app locations? Hope you get it sorted as I had an app update recently that left me completely confused, so I understand the frustration.

Taking a look at their GitHub user discussion site it kind of looks like a Point of Interest icon. Again, I didn’t see any that matched but it looks like there were several categories that they did not have pictures for.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Do the locations link to locations of significance for you or are they just general app locations?
They appear to be general POIs.

I am hoping someone who's had the app for a while will chime with their two cents - first of all, to say if this is happening to them, too. These just showed up for me a few days ago.

I am hoping someone who's had the app for a while will chime with their two cents - first of all, to say if this is happening to them, too. These just showed up for me a few days ago.
I use this frequently and checking today, there are no red x's showing.

Found this link with info about reporting 'bugs' that uses red x's. https://learnosm.org/en/mobile-mapping/osmand2/
Go to section titled Adding Notes and Reporting Bugs

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
View attachment 115942
VN, it is very possible that all of those red Xs indicate every ancient church, every bird sanctuary, every set of Roman ruins, and every other cultural landmark you have researched for us on the many planning threads where your input has been so very helpful.

I am kind of joking but kind of not. :p

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
View attachment 115942
In the newer version of OsmAnd for Android one can select from various colours, symbols, and shapes for one's personal Favourites aka Places. I do so myself. For example, for albuerges I choose the bunk bed symbol and for hostels and hotels and any other type of lodging that provides private rooms I choose the single bed symbol. For food stores I select the shopping cart symbol, etc. One of the available symbols is an X.

Try selecting a Favourite and then press edit. In the lower portion of the screen you should see horizontally-scrollable tabs for various categories of symbols. On my device, there are additional tabs out of sight to the right; one must drag the tabs to the left to reveal those additional tabs. Select a category tab and then select a symbol and press Save. The icon on the maps should now display the new symbol.

However, the apparent fact that many of your Favourites spontaneously changed all at the same time suggests a hiccup in the app. Being winter, your ambient air might be dry, setting the stage for a build-up of static charges on the surface of the device, which might have corrupted a file at startup. If it was me, I would close all apps, perhaps wipe down the device with a barely-water-damp cloth, let it dry, and then reboot the device, possibly several times, then restart OsmAnd and see if that fixed the problem.

None of my Favourites icons have the small downwards-pointing V-shaped feature at the bottom of the icons displayed in the image you provided.

Last edited:
Found this link with info about reporting 'bugs' that uses red x's. https://learnosm.org/en/mobile-mapping/osmand2/
Go to section titled Adding Notes and Reporting Bugs
Thank you @mhrheinecker. I went there and picked up some information that might help @VNwalking.

Do you want to try an experiment V?

From the main screen on Android app click the hamburger icon at the lower left and the Plugins in the popup. I'm going to make a guess that somehow you have enabled "OpenStreet editing". It will show as orange if you did and grey if not. If enabled then disable it by using the three vertical dots icon way to the right of the "OpenStreet editing" icon.

Another guess is that somehow you or the app or a cosmic ray marked all those POIs as things to delete from OpenStreetMap's database. The disable should keep that from happening.

Again, these are guesses.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.