A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

What Portuguese city would you choose?

Camino(s) past & future
Will be doing Portuguese Central Way starting Oct 19, 2018
My guidebook hasn't arrived yet and trying to figure out some itinerary ideas.

Im part planner, part go w. the flow and since I've never done the camino before, part of my brain is wired to have a plan. What cities would you find would be better options?

Oct 23
4th Stage – Ponte de Lima – Cossourado – 22 km
OR Do you recommend Rubiaes instead: Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes

October 24
5th Stage – Cossourado – Valença – 14 km
OR do you recommend Tui as the overnight stay either starting in Cossourado or Rubiaes?

October 25
6th Stage – Valença – Porriño – 20 km
OR Starting in Tui

I know mileage will level out as the Tui to O Porrino would be around 14km, making that a shorter walk day. I work in fitness and on top of teaching and rock climbing some days I work RT 5 miles to work on Seattle hills. I don't want to overkill myself but I am most interested in authentic culture (incl. wellness/spas, which may be necessary!)....I enjoy balance between nature and urbanism. I guess I am wondering if staying in Tui is a better option due to the fact that there would be more options like ATM stop and I would have to find a SIM card. Im also vegetarian.

Billh

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese Camino, central route and coastal route. Also a section of Camino Frances from Pamplona.
My guidebook hasn't arrived yet and trying to figure out some itinerary ideas.

Im part planner, part go w. the flow and since I've never done the camino before, part of my brain is wired to have a plan. What cities would you find would be better options?

Oct 23
4th Stage – Ponte de Lima – Cossourado – 22 km
OR Do you recommend Rubiaes instead: Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes

October 24
5th Stage – Cossourado – Valença – 14 km
OR do you recommend Tui as the overnight stay either starting in Cossourado or Rubiaes?

October 25
6th Stage – Valença – Porriño – 20 km
OR Starting in Tui

I know mileage will level out as the Tui to O Porrino would be around 14km, making that a shorter walk day. I work in fitness and on top of teaching and rock climbing some days I work RT 5 miles to work on Seattle hills. I don't want to overkill myself but I am most interested in authentic culture (incl. wellness/spas, which may be necessary!)....I enjoy balance between nature and urbanism. I guess I am wondering if staying in Tui is a better option due to the fact that there would be more options like ATM stop and I would have to find a SIM card. Im also vegetarian.
Hi, the walk from Ponte de Lima to Rubies is really nice. It gets a bit tough 10km out of Ponte de Lima, going uphill, but it's worth the effort. There is not much to see in Rubies and very little accommodation but you should manage okay. The following day is also a good walk and you could stay in either Valenca on the Portuguese side of the border, it Tui. Both towns are worth a visit.
Enjoy it.
Bill

Camino(s) past & future
Will be doing Portuguese Central Way starting Oct 19, 2018
Hi, the walk from Ponte de Lima to Rubies is really nice. It gets a bit tough 10km out of Ponte de Lima, going uphill, but it's worth the effort. There is not much to see in Rubies and very little accommodation but you should manage okay. The following day is also a good walk and you could stay in either Valenca on the Portuguese side of the border, it Tui. Both towns are worth a visit.
Enjoy it.
Bill
Thank you! I have found this interesting vegetarian animal farm a bit off the camino near Rubiaes so I think I will stay there, just deciding on if I should 1 or 2 nights. Reviews said people wish they stayed 2!

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 180 24.5%