• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

What to pack!!

Geoff3

Hi all, my name is Geoff and I`m leaving on Saturday the 24th to start my first pilgrimage. I`ll be starting in St Jean on the 25th and i`m taking a tent as I like the idea of camping out and I`m on a seriously low budget too :D .
Would anyone be able to advise me on what the weather may be like? Im led to believe there may be snow at times. I`m just not sure what to put in my back pack realy.
I am definately leaving my phone and camera behind though.

Packing hints would be much appreciated

Kind regards
Geoff

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
isnt it to cold for a tent at this time of the year?
i was thinking of bringing mine but told not too cuz of the weather!!
should i pack it or not!!??

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'd think twice about not taking a camera-I often look back on my photos and they often jog memories of things/people/places/events that I had forgotten.

Agree with Omar there. I chose not to take a camera as I wanted to be 'inside it' rather than 'watching it' and apart from three photographs that were sent to me, of me, by a fellow pilgrim, I have no image record and this I now regret. I now agree, take a camera, though ... I'd not take my digital but just a disposable and when used up I'd post it home and buy another next time (sorry Omar, sure that isn't very green).

There is a whole pre-pilgrimage thing about camping but I have yet to meet a pilgrim that actually did that. I had planned to do that but chose not to take a tent (I'm SO glad!) but to sleep in the occasional church porch. I never did, apart from sleeping outside a convent by mistake (I was tired) - but, next time, now I would be more relaxed, I would sleep more on park benches, church porches - as long as I could stay fairly clean (which becomes important as you travel along) - has any of that helped? No, maybe not, just my own experiences.

The tent thing is intriguing-I'm (semi reluctantly) taking a very lightweight tent when I start from Le Puy late June not because I like camping but because I'm apprehensive about finding accommodation at the peak time in Spain. There may be accommodation available in France but I gather that pre-booking is advised which I"m not that organised or inclined to do.
I'm hoping that I may be able to camp in some of the grounds of the albergues and use the facilities-but I will see in a few months!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good point (quite jealous about you going over the mountains from Le Puy in summer - I love France) - I've never seen the Camino Frances when it's high season. Would give you a lot of freedom I should think, and take you out of the frantic pre-dawn lurch to the next bed that I've read about - luxury!

Yes Br. David-I prefer a later start that many people, never understood the getting-up-at 6am-to-walk-in-the-dark people. I even got turfed out at 9am on the VDLP, how uncivilised!
I'll let you know how things turn out-still apprehensive though

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.