• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

When was Albergue Orisson built?

Walli Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Many. First 2009 and still going.
Hi everyone,
I've just started reading ' To The Field Of Stars' by Kevin A. Codd. He walked the Frances in 2003 and there is no mention of Orisson which made me wonder when it was built. We stayed there in 2009 and loved the place.
We will be walking from Porto on 1st June and hope to also walk the Ingles from Ferrol and out to Finisterre.
Coming all the way from Australia we have to make the most of our airfare!
Thankyou for all the wonderful information on this forum, I visit every day.
Jacki.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Orisson opened as a refugio in 2004. It was converted from an older structure previously used by shepherds.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes, it was not there in 2001 or 2003, but I remember passing it it 2004 although we stayed at Honto

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, it was not there in 2001 or 2003, but I remember passing it it 2004 although we stayed at Honto

The original structure used by shepherds WAS there but not as re purposed by Jean-Jaques Etchandy for pilgrim use as a refuge !!

I'm sure it was @mspath - I did not mean there was no building, just that I did not notice it until 2004 when there were pilgrims coming out as we went past. I was probably huffing and puffing too much to notice the building before.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum