• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2017?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walk in Herstappe which is the smallest municipality in Belgium. Town hall is also an ATM, Post office and police unit.
In 1408 a battle was fought here by John the Fearless.
Grey and around zero degrees.
Not much of a view except for the misty ones of the chapel and the road.

Attachments

• 20171217_103735.jpg
    20171217_103735.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 23
  • 20171217_105027.jpg
    20171217_105027.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 20171217_103753.jpg
    20171217_103753.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20171217_105658_206.jpg
    IMG_20171217_105658_206.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are taking a ferry from West Seattle across the sound and walking about 17 miles to another ferry that will take us to downtown Seattle...then walk about 7 more miles back home.
So...two fairly long ferry rides then about 24 miles of walking.

I often walk 15 to 20 miles here in Seattle a couple of times a week.
This is all city walking with just the odd walk through homeless camps ;).. or some parks from time to time.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We had our first walk in " Epen - Zuid Limburg " .
It went wel and the weather was nice.

Attachments

• 20171223_143604.jpg
    20171223_143604.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20171223_144610.jpg
    20171223_144610.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20171224_124341.jpg
    20171224_124341.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 20171224_124511.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20171224_131157.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Visiting Austria for a low country dweller like me is like a kid visiting a candystore. Especially at christmas time. Presently hiking around the Kitzbuhel area, and seriously looking at a couple of days on the Jakobsweg of Tirol. It's tantalisingly close, just have to make sure I can actually walk it, because of all the snow. In the meantime: Frohe Weihnachten!

Attachments

• 2017-12-23 13.54.20.jpg
    2017-12-23 13.54.20.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • 2017-12-24 13.42.03.jpg
    2017-12-24 13.42.03.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • 2017-12-24 14.27.57.jpg
    2017-12-24 14.27.57.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • 2017-12-24 15.56.54.jpg
    2017-12-24 15.56.54.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
An quiet eerie walk through a newly discovered place - the streets of the abandoned community of the Vancouver Wireless Station in Delta. About 500 people lived here from 1949 until it was completely dismantled in 1971. It is now a park and nesting area for eagles. Still visible are a few foundations of the service buildings and homes.

Attachments

• Signal Station.jpg
    Signal Station.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 21
  • Signal Station 2.jpg
    Signal Station 2.jpg
    673.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Signal Station 3.jpg
    Signal Station 3.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Signal Station 4.jpg
    Signal Station 4.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Signal Station 5.jpg
    Signal Station 5.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Signal Station 6.jpg
    Signal Station 6.jpg
    571.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Signal Station 7.jpg
    Signal Station 7.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 18
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
And my walk today will be from the armchair to the kitchen to keep an eye on the soup from the stock of the turkey and the ham, check the bread in the bread maker, have a cup of tea, read some of The Great Westward Walk ( a virtual walk at least!)...and probably my usual walk along by the river to try to get my daily average of 10,000 steps in.

It is now a park and nesting area for eagles.
This brings hope that life on this planet can continue in spite of us. Wonderful eagle photo, @Theatregal !

If everyone is ok with it I will ask the mods to close this thread end of 2017.
I will start another one for 2018.
Of course! With our thanks for hosting this lovely ongoing sharing.

And Peter...? Hahaha...!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I should have written this post a few months ago but it is taking the New Year's deadline to get me writing. I took two memorial hikes this autumn to two mountain peaks in the White Mountains of nearby New Hampshire.

The first was up Mount Madison with the last of my late brother's ashes. Mount Madison was the only hike we ever took together, just the two of us. Last year, per his request, some of his ashes were placed in a tiny graveyard at the base of the mountain and some into a nearby small, fast running river. I had his go-ahead to bring him on another trip up the mountain. On the way up I decided that instead of leaving the ashes at the top I would cast them into the wind to give him the full fire, earth, water and air treatment. I was glad I did because as I tossed the ashes into the air the wind caused them to burst into a little explosion and the sun made them glow silver. Then, instead of falling, they just dissolved into the air.

A few days later I took my fifth memorial hike up nearby Mount Washington, something I've been doing every five years in memory of my father who had me climb the mountain with him when I was just six years old. Due to the weather we had to hitch a ride down on the tourist road but that was the hike that got me going for another six decades. Boy! The next memorial hike is going to be tough! Some college kids who passed me on the way up were taking a break halfway down when we met again and felt like they had to ask me my age. That made up for the thought that I had to spend 11 hours to do what I could have done in about half that time years ago.

The picture of the rocks is actually of part of the trail going down Madison. Yeah, it was pretty hard to see up close too. Earlier, up at the peak, I was on a one mile stretch of the Appalachian Trail and I met an AT thru-hiker wearing a kilt. At that point he had done about two thousand miles. I got down in the dark at 9:00 PM. Peg was at the trailhead yelling, honking the car horn and flashing the lights so I wouldn't get lost.

The other two pictures are from the top of Washington. The Appalachian Trail runs past the cog railway and along the ridge of the high peaks to Madison on the right where it heads down to the base of Washington almost at the trailhead that I took to get up and down. That makes the Appalachian Trail a few miles longer than it has to be but who is going to mind walking those extra miles. While that view was to the north the next picture was taken going back down and looks south.

madison1.jpg washington1.jpg washington2.jpg

[EDIT:

BTW, I was on top of Mount Washington on October 3rd. It was a beautiful day. However, at 1:54 PM on September 1st, still summer, the weather observatory on top recorded a temperature of -3° C with a windchill of -15° C. The wind was measured at 124 kph with gusts of 137 kph. Today, December 27, at 3:01 PM the temperature is -30° C with a windchill of -56° C. The wind is measured at 135 kph with gusts of 145 kph.

For more backward folks out there: At 1:54 PM on September 1st, still summer, the weather observatory on top recorded a temperature of 26° F with a windchill of 4° F. The wind was measured at 77 mph with gusts of 85 mph. Today, December 27, at 3:01 PM the temperature is -22° F with a windchill of -70° F. The wind is measured at 84 mph with gusts of 90 mph.

]

[Edit: Mount Washington's elevation is only 6,288.2 ft (1,916.6 m) Weather update: At 3:00 in the morning on the 28th the temperature was -33° F and the wind was 93 mph with gusts to 97 mph making for a wind chill of -87° F. In the other measurement system: The temperature was -36° C and the wind was 150 kph with gusts to 156 kph making for a wind chill of -66° C. Approximately.]

Last edited:
BTW, I was on top of Mount Washington on October 3rd. It was a beautiful day. However, at 1:54 PM on September 1st, still summer, the weather observatory on top recorded a temperature of -3° C with a windchill of -15° C. The wind was measured at 124 kph with gusts of 137 kph. Today, December 27, at 3:01 PM the temperature is -30° C with a windchill of -56° C. The wind is measured at 135 kph with gusts of 145 kph.

For more backward folks out there: At 1:54 PM on September 1st, still summer, the weather observatory on top recorded a temperature of 26° F with a windchill of 4° F. The wind was measured at 77 mph with gusts of 85 mph. Today, December 27, at 3:01 PM the temperature is -22° F with a windchill of -70° F. The wind is measured at 84 mph with gusts of 90 mph.
I'm confused.:confused:
Which one is the correct version, Rick?

Gorgeous pics of very special places. For a couple of years I was working in Barre, and Mt Monadnock was our special hiking treat. Your pics bring nostalgia!

Which one is the correct version, Rick?
The first was in international units, celsius and kilometers and the second in fahrenheit and miles. BTW this morning the winds are about the same but it is about 10 degrees F (about 5 degrees C) colder. -31 F / -35 C. Pretty cold at home too. I turned on the furnace two hours ago and soon it should be room temperature.

Mt Monadnock is only about an hour away and one of the most climbed mountains in the world but we haven't been up in years as they don't allow dogs into the park.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.