• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do ( did ) you walk locally in 2024?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Looking over Loch Lomond on a beautiful crisp morning
Nice! Reminds me of when I was descending from Conic Hill down to Balmaha on my first day on the West Highland Way in spring 1997 ... Does the Rob Roy Bar in Rowardennan still exist? I remember them wanting to fill whiskey into my water bottles 🤣

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-01 um 21.15.46.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-01 um 21.15.46.png
    4 MB · Views: 13
  • Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-01 um 21.18.34.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2024-01-01 um 21.18.34.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
...I couldn't be bothered going for a real walk today, just a few moments stealth, not after cleaning up from the night before...most of the fat from a speckled pintade which the owner of the house had roasted the day before had solidified on just about everything. The bones and skin he'd tossed out the kitchen window, a New Year's offering ...

20240101_154041.jpg

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Happy new year from the north of Norway. A cold day. -20C and the sky was beautiful. The sun will return in 3 weeks.

Attachments

• E0744935-CAE6-463F-9210-80B57FC65E51.jpeg
    E0744935-CAE6-463F-9210-80B57FC65E51.jpeg
    383 KB · Views: 25
  • 576547D3-4C27-403B-BB2F-CC3926E8852C.jpeg
    576547D3-4C27-403B-BB2F-CC3926E8852C.jpeg
    281.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 8952183A-D10E-4DF2-9992-DB710ECFC1A5.jpeg
    8952183A-D10E-4DF2-9992-DB710ECFC1A5.jpeg
    230 KB · Views: 19
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Nice! Reminds me of when I was descending from Conic Hill down to Balmaha on my first day on the West Highland Way in spring 1997 ... Does the Rob Roy Bar in Rowardennan still exist? I remember them wanting to fill whiskey into my water bottles 🤣
Pretty sure it's still there 👍🏼 whiskey is the best way to give you energy and keep you warm...... and it certainly improves your singing voice to keep the pace 🤣

January 1.. 2024. A late afternoon walk in Red rock area just outside Las Vegas .
The granddaughters 6, 3 and 1 outpacing me .. 😂😂. (Maybe not the 1 year old but the other 2 don’t slow down.).
I’m visiting them in USA. Certainly pleasant walking at this time of year - it’s an oven in summer.

Attachments

• IMG_9199.jpeg
    IMG_9199.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_9198.jpeg
    IMG_9198.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9180.jpeg
    IMG_9180.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9184.jpeg
    IMG_9184.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 17
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yesterday a friend and I went for a 10 km walk over a limestone ridge down to a valley, along a few empty lanes then back up again to Pech de Plats where we had begun.

20240104_143453.jpg
Dolmayrac viewed from afar...

20240104_144158.jpg
...walking beside waterlogged fields twice-ploughed...

20240104_161803.jpg
...towards Montpezat...

20240104_141305.jpg
Pre & after-walk sustenance, "Les Pyrénéens"

directions to the chocolate factory - a 1 km's walk from the pilgrims' gîte in Oloron-Sainte-Marie (Voie de Piemont, France).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I’ve been walking the Pilgrims Way, from London (Southwark Cathedral) to Canterbury. Lots of history along this route. Highlights included staying overnight in a Carmelite priory founded in 1242, and attending the memorial service in Canterbury Cathedral on the anniversary of the murder of Thomas Becket. I even had a pilgrims passport and collected stamps along the way!

It did make me think a lot about pilgrimage in England. I know there are threads talking about the challenges of pilgrimage walks being…re-energised...here. I don’t think it helps that so much of the Pilgrims Way is subsumed into the North Downs Way, a national long distance trail ‘opened’ in 1978, and so you see very little mention of the Pilgrims Way on signposts. But it has its own identity and you can see pilgrims referenced in road names and house names along the way - and even the shell crops up here and there! The churches along the way are wonderful, and during the day many are open - you might have to follow the guidance of a sign on the church porch and nip over to the home of a church warden to pick up the key to the door, mind:) but at least you can get access.

Attachments

• IMG_6441.jpeg
    IMG_6441.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6857.jpeg
    IMG_6857.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6939.jpeg
    IMG_6939.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6947_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_6947_jpg.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7165.jpeg
    IMG_7165.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7249_jpg.jpeg
    IMG_7249_jpg.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7343.jpeg
    IMG_7343.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7365.jpeg
    IMG_7365.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7465.jpeg
    IMG_7465.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Trying to stick to my plans to do more exercise and lose some weight. 5km walk to the local swimming pool, half an hour swimming, 1km walk to a handy pub for coffee and a pint, then 6km back home along a former railway line which is now a cycle path. Doing that several times a week now. The pub is an incentive! :cool:

IMG_20240107_132151.jpgIMG_20231011_142443.jpgScreenshot_20240107_132122.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Saturday evening the our first substantial snowfall of the season started. I was thinking of a 2:00 AM hike in the woods; I like night hikes when the snow falls. While it was bright enough, the snow at that time was just too wet. I waited until 2:00 PM when the snowfall was still happening but had turned powdery. Rather than driving anywhere I decided to walk to the woods. The snow was already 8 inches deep (20 cm) so I put on my taller combat boots. I didn't need them for the walk through the plowed suburban streets but they sure were handy once I got off them. The pictures below tell the tale of the wooded portion of the walk. I got back just before sunset and measured the snowfall to be up at 11 inches (28 cm). I had many near falls slipping on the plowed streets due to a light powder riding on top of ice.

Today, after posting this, it will be time to shovel.

The start of the wooded walk was down a dirt road. You can see that a fat-tired bicycle had come by in the morning.
PXL_20240107_193859633.jpg

Once off that road the trail passed along the ridge of an esker.
PXL_20240107_194528576.jpg

At the bottom is this pool. It sometimes dries up in the summer.
PXL_20240107_194822304.jpg

Heading back uphill the path of the trail was occasionally hard to find.
PXL_20240107_195147874.jpg

Here's a view of the woods to the side of the trail.
PXL_20240107_195931539.jpg

Down at the bottom of this trail there is a cleared spot at the edge of a river. It is usually frozen over in January but there hasn't even been any freezing along the bank this year. A woman that we often meet on our walks in these wood spends several hours of her work day here with her laptop and, this winter, a portable wood burning stove.
PXL_20240107_200822883.jpg

Saturday evening the our first substantial snowfall of the season started. I was thinking of a 2:00 AM hike in the woods; I like night hikes when the snow falls. While it was bright enough, the snow at that time was just too wet. I waited until 2:00 PM when the snowfall was still happening but had turned powdery. Rather than driving anywhere I decided to walk to the woods. The snow was already 8 inches deep (20 cm) so I put on my taller combat boots. I didn't need them for the walk through the plowed suburban streets but they sure were handy once I got off them. The pictures below tell the tale of the wooded portion of the walk. I got back just before sunset and measured the snowfall to be up at 11 inches (28 cm). I had many near falls slipping on the plowed streets due to a light powder riding on top of ice.

Today, after posting this, it will be time to shovel.

The start of the wooded walk was down a dirt road. You can see that a fat-tired bicycle had come by in the morning.
View attachment 161909

Once off that road the trail passed along the ridge of an esker.
View attachment 161910

At the bottom is this pool. It sometimes dries up in the summer.
View attachment 161911

Heading back uphill the path of the trail was occasionally hard to find.
View attachment 161912

Here's a view of the woods to the side of the trail.
View attachment 161913

Down at the bottom of this trail there is a cleared spot at the edge of a river. It is usually frozen over in January but there hasn't even been any freezing along the bank this year. A woman that we often meet on our walks in these wood spends several hours of her work day here with her laptop and, this winter, a portable wood burning stove.
View attachment 161914
My sister tells me the snow where she lives, Prince George, BC, Canada, is powdery, so nothing at all like in my part of the world. Looking now at your photos, my goodness, I am glad to have my Peruvian wool cardigan!

€149,-
Villar d'Arène-la Grave, France
photo taken January 11, 2018

La Meije.jpg

Facing La Meije

Six years ago today my husband and I walked into a mountain paradise in the southern Alps west of Grenoble/east of Briançon off route D1091 to stay in an historic albergue.
This was our view facing La Meije.

...Now in 2024 we are thankful to "walk" this in memory.

Last edited:

View attachment 161976

Facing La Meije

Six years ago today my husband and I walked into a mountain paradise in the southern Alps west of Grenoble/east of Briançon off route D1091 to stay in an historic albergue.

Bonjour @mspath

I've just had a look on Geoporteil.fr to see if any Grande Randonées pass close by Villar-d'Arêne, et voilà, the GR54, known as the ‘Great Tour of the Écrins’ or ‘Tour de l’Oisans’ (184 kms), is right by. What a magnificent circuit. I wouldn't mind having a go....

Geoporteil Villar-d'Arêne.png

...oh no. I've just read the FFRP description...

'Considered one of the most difficult GR® in Europe, due in particular to its late snowfall, steep slopes with slippery shale, the GR® 54 circumvents the Oisans and Ecrins massif in around twelve days .'

Hats off to you, @mspath. Chapeau!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Out the front door, through the sports ground and into Fairlop waters, a ten minute walk
Around the lake twice and off to the high street for a coffee and a five minute bus ride home …walk about 5 miles
Weather has been cold and sunny but with all the rain last we’ve been keeping to the gravel path
It does get a bit repetitive after a few days but the numerous paths are muddy right now
The smaller lake has doubled in size and with a lot of flooding amongst the trees IMG_7215.jpegIMG_7219.jpegIMG_7222.jpegIMG_7224.jpegIMG_7226.jpegIMG_7230.jpegIMG_7232.jpegIMG_7233.jpegIMG_7236.jpegIMG_7237.jpeg

View attachment 161976

Facing La Meije

You are an amazing woman mspath
Walking this in winter with snow and ice
and as they say in today’s lingo “respect”
memories for us too but it’s given me “a hunger” to get back there but not sure if we could even walk half of it now
I had to look up my diaries and to check when we walked there
2012 and 2016 we stayed in La Grave where we cheated and got the cable car to the Meiji and then onto La Bararde the most amazing place and Ref Piatte
Then it was Vallouise valley
you must know all these places
Someone took a photo of us at refuge Pilatte
Yes memories

You are an amazing woman mspath
Walking this in winter with snow and ice
and as they say in today’s lingo “respect”
memories for us too but it’s given me “a hunger” to get back there but not sure if we could even walk half of it now
I had to look up my diaries and to check when we walked there
2012 and 2016 we stayed in La Grave where we cheated and got the cable car to the Meiji and then onto La Bararde the most amazing place and Ref Piatte
Then it was Vallouise valley
you must know all these places
Someone took a photo of us at refuge Pilatte
Yes memories
Annette,

Thank you for your kind comment.

Since it was winter we mainly walked for 2 weeks on beaten paths usually off the plowed lanes. La Grave was great with magnificent views south to La Meije.

Margaret

La Meije from La Grave.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Meandering to visit a friend this morning, I could not resist the vegetable stand at the Sunday market in the People's Park. A quince from France, avocado from Spain, tomato from Spain and a piece of turmeric from who knows where. I also got a few skinny potatoes that I have never seen before, and the Polish guy behind the counter said they were Irish. I will try them tomorrow. Now to see what to do with the quince.
IMG_1911.jpeg1705249568396.jpeg

Meandering to visit a friend this morning, I could not resist the vegetable stand at the Sunday market in the People's Park. A quince from France, avocado from Spain, tomato from Spain and a piece of turmeric from who knows where. I also got a few skinny potatoes that I have never seen before, and the Polish guy behind the counter said they were Irish. I will try them tomorrow. Now to see what to do with the quince.
View attachment 162125View attachment 162124
Looks like a sweet potatoe?
They contain more Carbohydrate, vitamin c and minerals than the white potatoes

View attachment 162125View attachment 162124
Some inspiration!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On the way between the swimming pool and the pub. Spotted these converging contrails which seemed to be pointing towards Santiago! :cool: Which reminded me of another view of clouds some years ago - walking from the lighthouse back to Fisterra and glancing backwards to spot what looked like a scallop shell picked out in clouds.

IMG_20240115_133417~2.jpg
clouds.jpg

Reminds me of the boat that left the US west coast heading to Hawaii with no navigational gear onboard. The Coast Guard found them not too far away from their destination. When asked how they managed that they replied that they followed the contrails.

Reminds me of the boat that left the US west coast heading to Hawaii with no navigational gear onboard. The Coast Guard found them not too far away from their destination. When asked how they managed that they replied that they followed the contrails.
Thanks Rick, teacher of many useful pieces of knowledge. Next time I am looking for the way...😈
edit: of course, if I had looked ahead at the previous post I would have seen the pictures saving a thousand words! 🤣 Ah well, tired after scouring the floors throughout the house...

Incredible, only 40 years ago.
I wish I had walked in those early days ...
My mother-in-law walked from SJPDP as part of a group in 1985. They met Don Eliás in Santiago at the end of the walk and he signed a copy of his guidebook for Barbara. Barbara lent the book to me for my first Camino and my father-in-law gave it to me a few months ago. I half-seriously suggested making a reliquary to house it ! :)

Janet (@JWillhaus) and I walked varied terrain this year. Other than a summer camino, we walked primarily in the Snowy Range, a part of the Rocky Mountains in Wyoming.

Weather permitting, we often included a picnic in the forest.

We keep walking if the weather isn't too bad. In December, again in the Snowy Range.

Great fun even with cold and snow.

Phil20230716_113253.jpg20231104_125105.jpg20231219_141246.jpg20231227_141116.jpg

Last edited:
And then there is Alaska. It's not local but it was fun. I know there are forum members who live in the far north and experience what I did almost daily during the winter. So here goes.

Small plane to above the Artic Circle, a first for me. Its amazing how much cargo they can haul including a few passengers.

I was able to go on a dog sled ride, it was an experience.

Four layers of merino wool and a layer of down also helped me stay warm. What an experience.

Although I was able to see the aurora borealis, my phone didn't cooperate and I didn't get an photos. It was a great experience. Not local put I did walk while there.

Phil20240109_140828.jpg20240111_151516.jpg20240111_154035.jpg

And then there is Alaska. It's not local but it was fun. I know there are forum members who live in the far north and experience what I did almost daily during the winter. So here goes.

Small plane to above the Artic Circle, a first for me. Its amazing how much cargo they can haul including a few passengers.

I was able to go on a dog sled ride, it was an experience.

Four layers of merino wool and a layer of down also helped me stay warm. What an experience.

Although I was able to see the aurora borealis, my phone didn't cooperate and I didn't get an photos. It was a great experience. Not local put I did walk while there.

PhilView attachment 162183View attachment 162184View attachment 162185
Actually, Phil, while you are where you are, it is local!
On a side note: when I left school I was fortunate to have a chance to go on a school cruise to Nordic regions. I did not take a camera - we did not have one at home! and I said to myself: It is up to me to 'record' what I see...

€149,-
That deep snow from a week and a half ago disappeared quickly but its effect is still around in that Peg took a walk ago the neighborhood shortly after my last post, slipped on the ice and fell and hurt her knee. She took a few days off and then we took some short walks on a park's dirt road (remember, the snow disappeared quickly). Yesterday it snowed again and this time, since it wasn't snowing badly, Peg went for a short walk in the woods.

PXL_20240116_164903051-01.jpeg PXL_20240116_163800730-01.jpeg PXL_20240116_163723775-01.jpeg PXL_20240116_163938210-01.jpeg PXL_20240116_164050576.jpg
Yes, Peg is in that last one. I didn't resize that picture in case you want to play Where's Waldo Wally Peg.

Here are a few non-Peg pics. I think the boulder looks agonized.
PXL_20240116_164123820-01.jpeg PXL_20240116_164022638-01.jpeg PXL_20240116_170024543-01.jpeg

Edit: @SabsP, where I'm from we use the word slush.

That deep snow from a week and a half ago disappeared quickly but its effect is still around in that Peg took a walk ago the neighborhood shortly after my last post, slipped on the ice and fell and hurt her knee. She took a few days off and then we took some short walks on a park's dirt road (remember, the snow disappeared quickly). Yesterday it snowed again and this time, since it wasn't snowing badly, Peg went for a short walk in the woods.

View attachment 162261 View attachment 162258 View attachment 162257 View attachment 162262 View attachment 162263
Yes, Peg is in that last one. I didn't resize that picture in case you want to play Where's Waldo Wally Peg.

Here are a few non-Peg pics. I think the boulder looks agonized.
View attachment 162260 View attachment 162264 View attachment 162259

Edit: @SabsP, where I'm from we use the word slush.
Nicely graduated shots. Hope Peg's knee is ok now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tuesday 16th Jan on the South Downs Way in Sussex England. Ring of trees on the remains of an ancient hill fort. Linked by an old path to other hill forts in the area.
Hi @markie6
...is the clump of trees anywhere near Old Winchester Hill bronze age fort or the 'Devil Jumps' burial mounds? I have a video of these taken this summer past when zigzagging my way down to Lands End + beyond. Are you on a long walk too or out rambling for the day? The South Downs are wonderful....

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi @markie6
...is the clump of trees anywhere near Old Winchester Hill bronze age fort or the 'Devil Jumps' burial mounds? I have a video of these taken this summer past when zigzagging my way down to Lands End + beyond. Are you on a long walk too or out rambling for the day? The South Downs are wonderful....
No it's Chanctonbury Ring in West Sussex. Old Winchester Hill ( also beautiful ) is nearer the other end of the South Downs Way. I live in Sussex

Last edited:
No it's Chanctonbury Ring in West Sussex. Old Winchester Hill ( also beautiful ) is nearer the other end of the South Downs Way. I live in Sussex
...I've just had a look on an OS map. I must have passed by Chanctonbury Ring after over-nighting at Truleigh Hill YHA.

I did see a clump of trees just like yours but thought it was a tumulus...

FB_IMG_1705913507358.jpg
SDWJuly 2023

Here's a soundscape from nearby (vol= loud)

View attachment 20230708_085914.mp4

Cheers!

Last edited:
...I've just had a look on an OS map. I must have passed by Chanctonbury Ring after over-nighting at Turleigh Hill YHA.

I did see a clump of trees just like yours but thought it was a tumulus...

View attachment 162537
SDWJuly 2023

Here's a soundscape from nearby (vol= loud)

View attachment 162538

Cheers!
Yes Truleigh hill is near home and that is Chanctonbury Ring in your photo same as mine. Nice vid , good sounds

As a Scot in exile in Wales I am marking the birthday of our national poet by adding a lunch of haggis, neeps and tatties to my regular home-swimming pool-pub-home walk. With Bell's whisky - a tribal thing as my mother's maiden name was Bell and my grandfather loved seeing his name on the bottles! :cool: I did try substituting "Spanish" for "Scots" in the first verse of Tam O'Shanter but it doesn't scan so well....

When chapman billies leave the street,
And drouthy neebors, neebors meet,
As market-days are wearing late,
An’ folk begin to tak the gate;
While we sit bousing at the nappy,
And getting fou and unco’ happy,
We think na on the lang Scots miles,
The mosses, waters, slaps and styles,
That lie between us and our hame,
Whare sits our sulky sullen dame,
Gathering her brows like gathering storm,
Nursing her wrath to keep it warm.

IMG_20240125_133756.jpg

As a Scot in exile in Wales I am marking the birthday of our national poet by adding a lunch of haggis, neeps and tatties to my regular home-swimming pool-pub-home walk. With Bell's whisky - a tribal thing as my mother's maiden name was Bell and my grandfather loved seeing his name on the bottles! :cool: I did try substituting "Spanish" for "Scots" in the first verse of Tam O'Shanter but it doesn't scan so well....

When chapman billies leave the street,
And drouthy neebors, neebors meet,
As market-days are wearing late,
An’ folk begin to tak the gate;
While we sit bousing at the nappy,
And getting fou and unco’ happy,
We think na on the lang Scots miles,
The mosses, waters, slaps and styles,
That lie between us and our hame,
Whare sits our sulky sullen dame,
Gathering her brows like gathering storm,
Nursing her wrath to keep it warm.

View attachment 162653
Wish I could join you. My haggis will need to wait, as my companion is not well so it is plain water and light chicken broth for her. I will get it next week though. Good old Marks and Sparks always has it on the shelves. Macsween's, of course.
sorry, meant to thank you for the verse. Takes me back to English class in secondary school, not today or yesterday.

But I wonder, where do you get haggis in Wales? Did you hunt it yourself? I heard they are very shy. Even more so in Welsh diaspora 🤣
I am lucky to have a Wetherspoons pub at one end of my local cycle path. They are pretty controversial here in the UK - some love them, others hate them. I'm a fan. At this time of year they have haggis available for a week. No idea whether they are wild caught, free range or intensively farmed. Wouldn't spoil the experience by enquiring too deeply. I walked half the Olavsleden from Oslo a couple of years ago. My knees gave up near Ringebu. I made sure to try lungemos a couple of times. Pretty good but I think our version is better! :cool:

IMG_20240122_094351~2.jpg

I am lucky to have a Wetherspoons pub at one end of my local cycle path. They are pretty controversial here in the UK - some love them, others hate them. I'm a fan. At this time of year they have haggis available for a week. No idea whether they are wild caught, free range or intensively farmed. Wouldn't spoil the experience by enquiring too deeply. I walked half the Olavsleden from Oslo a couple of years ago. My knees gave up near Ringebu. I made sure to try lungemos a couple of times. Pretty good but I think our version is better! :cool:

I might be the odd German living in Northern Scandinavia, but I do have relatives in the UK and spent a considerable amount of time working, living and pub crawling in Exeter / Devon. So I had my share of food and drink at a Wetherspoons.
While it was not my first choice for an afterwork pint with the locals or to meet for special occasions or late evenings, Wetherspoons was always a convenient place to have a drink and really decent food. Of course I prefer the tiny old pubs that have been around for generations, with greasy food and filthy bathrooms and a great authentic atmosphere, but Wetherspoons is way better than what the haters claim and sometimes a safer choice I must confess.😉

Sun was back this week after two months absent. Picture taken from the iceroad over the river Tana, open during winter. The name Tana means like the river Donau a broad , slowfloating river.

Attachments

• IMG_8763.jpeg
    IMG_8763.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
Sun was back this week after two months absent. Picture taken from the iceroad over the river Tana, open during winter. The name Tana means like the river Donau a broad , slowfloating river.
Deatnu / Tanaelva? I was not aware you were that far away actually. I mean, that is still much closer from my place than going to Stockholm, but still quite far (750 km)

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Another day, another cycle path... :)

I had to meet with the builder renovating my house early this morning. As the weather was particularly fine I decided to walk the 20km or so of a nearby cycle path which links Cross Hands with Llanelli using the trackbed of the old Carmarthenshire railway - claimed to be the oldest public railway in the UK but which finally closed in the late 1980s.

I joined the path at Garreg Hollt - "the Split Stone". Like Copenhagen's Little Mermaid sculpture exactly as the title says but a little underwhelming in the flesh :) A beautiful walk almost entirely free of traffic. Many squirrels, buzzards, red kites, a nuthatch, ravens, robins and many LBJ's. Sheep and horses in the fields. Some reminders of the line's industrial past: a former open cast coal mine now a woodland park, former marshalling yards now home to a rail preservation society, the slightly ominous ruins of a brickworks, the reservoirs which fed Llanelli's steel and tinplate industry. On the edge of town I diverted a little past the Felinfoel brewery - the first in the UK to put beer in cans! :) It also happens to be about a can's throw from a very odd feature: a concrete baptismal pool built in the bank of the stream which flows from the reservoirs by a local Nonconformist chapel. Not much used these days.

IMG_20240126_092543.jpg
IMG_20240126_104337.jpg
IMG_20240126_111400.jpg
IMG_20240126_111652.jpg
IMG_20240126_114803.jpg
IMG_20240126_124101.jpg
43_big.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240126_124101.jpg
    IMG_20240126_124101.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 9
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I managed to take me to the cabin (100 k drive) yesterday so I could go for some walk on the lake this morning! 😎 ...
But as it looks the weather has turned into a snowstorm tonight, so I might be stuck here for tomorrow 🙈

Attachments

• IMG_7385.jpg
    IMG_7385.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7398.jpg
    IMG_7398.jpg
    876 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7400.jpg
    IMG_7400.jpg
    962.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7403.jpg
    IMG_7403.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7401.jpg
    IMG_7401.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back