• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where did you walk ( locally ) in 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theatregal, your pics above are fabulous - great vistas, great photography!
Sadly my phone (blame the tools) just couldn't work out the lighting yesterday. And the long shots had to be zoomed, so very rough quality... but giving a flavour of a lovely English walk nonetheless - I hope... Kennet and Avon canal in Bath, up to Bathampton Down on the Skyline walk, down to Claverton and the canal again on the other side, pic of the Avon from Dundas Aqueduct (fabulous item), then up again towards Bath, looking back down to Monkton Combe.

Attachments

• 20210502_122502_HDR.jpeg
    20210502_122502_HDR.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 279
  • 20210502_130007_HDR.jpeg
    20210502_130007_HDR.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210502_144938_HDR.jpeg
    20210502_144938_HDR.jpeg
    338.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210502_151829_HDR.jpeg
    20210502_151829_HDR.jpeg
    428.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 20210502_162617_HDR.jpeg
    20210502_162617_HDR.jpeg
    340.6 KB · Views: 50
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I look into the eyes of our ancestors and I see a sweet sorrow, a love for life’s glory but also a sadness for its passing so quickly, long before we can fully appreciate it’s true glory.

8D42EAF1-0F59-4A8B-BD26-874BBAF04403.jpeg 2A2FC31E-8F40-42CE-913D-949593930339.jpeg
“Icons” of sorts, images of loved ones lost, painted on timber. We saw similar images in many a chapel on the Camino Frances.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Theatregal, your pics above are fabulous - great vistas, great photography!
Sadly my phone (blame the tools) just couldn't work out the lighting yesterday. And the long shots had to be zoomed, so very rough quality... but giving a flavour of a lovely English walk nonetheless - I hope... Kennet and Avon canal in Bath, up to Bathampton Down on the Skyline walk, down to Claverton and the canal again on the other side, pic of the Avon from Dundas Aqueduct (fabulous item), then up again towards Bath, looking back down to Monkton Combe.
Thank you @peregrino_tom Your photos are lovely - the views are breathtaking! I have dear camino friends who live in the Cotswolds and have missed visiting and walking with them these last couple of years. Thank you for a lovely English walk today.

A 6 km walk in South Weald country park, about 8 miles drive from home
500 acres and 700 years old and with a huge lake for wildlife. There is also a play area for children and a deer park, some of which we saw roaming in the quieter parts of the park.
Usually at this time of the year we visit to see the bluebells which cover large areas.
This year however it was rather a sparse show, probably due to the fact that we’ve had no rain for about four weeks
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
...walking in the woods and between verdant fields on ruts and mulching leaves. All about, floral madness; laughing frogs, bird calls and the silvery drone of cicadas.

Map: Montpezat d'Agenais - Saint Médard + St Jean-de Balerme PDF (11 kms)

View attachment 99382View attachment 99383View attachment 99384View attachment 99385
*(2-3) Église Saint-Médard (9-16th cent.)

View attachment 99381
Your posts of nature & places are lovely. I did really enjoy the opening words to this post.
- it’s a great ‘add’ having the map included to show exactly where you were.
- Thankyou.

Rick, any chance you went to Andrew’s Bald? One of my favorite short hikes in the Smoky mountains even though it’s down on the way in and up on the way out!
No. When camping closer to that spot (with no phone or internet connectivity even in town, explaining the late reply) the weather was pretty bad with lots of rain and thunderstorms. The Park Service even shut down the access road to it and the Appalachian Trail at the Clingman's Dome lookout tower. If things got worse they might even have had us evacuate the campground.

Peg hurt her knee while descending a lot of rock staircases put in on a steep 2,000 foot elevation gain mountaintop hike that I didn't report on. In the last couple of days we've taken some short hikes, steep but without any of the nasty many short steps or drops you get with the erosion control staircases. She is doing better and looking forward to a hike today. She blames the pandemic. Her gym where she used a stairmaster each day wasn't careful with covid control nor the gym she used as a replacement so she quit them and hasn't had enough hikes with elevation to make up the difference.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Set off from London ar 4am and headed north.
Just before Windemere stopped at the little village of Ings and found a nice path
The intention was to have an out and back walk but it looked so nice that we ended up doing a circular one
Had a few showers so thank heavens for 2 very big umbrellas that I recently found in a Charity shop!
A lovely path and passed a few rivers where himself nearly fell in
An isolated Croft passed on the way back
10 km took us about 3 hours image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A 6 km walk in South Weald country park, about 8 miles drive from home
500 acres and 700 years old and with a huge lake for wildlife. There is also a play area for children and a deer park, some of which we saw roaming in the quieter parts of the park.
Usually at this time of the year we visit to see the bluebells which cover large areas.
This year however it was rather a sparse show, probably due to the fact that we’ve had no rain for about four weeks
View attachment 99404View attachment 99405View attachment 99406View attachment 99407View attachment 99408View attachment 99409View attachment 99410View attachment 99411View attachment 99412View attachment 99413
Walking distance from my home 😊

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'm rather fortunate to live with the Spessart mountain range on my southern horizon, the Kinzig river valley below my house and the Vogelsberg mountain range to the north. I normally hike in the Spessart, run along the river and mountain bike in the Vogelsberg. Not bad for a guy that grew up surrounded by cornfields. :cool:

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Finally got to go north but the wind was above my pay grade. 14-15 mph is too much for these old bones, but I persisted. Made it to a town with more beautiful late 19th century homes than their population would suggest. The fields are being planted, some rows of corn are turning green, some cover crops and winter wheat remind me of those waving green fields on the camino. My wikiloc GPS stopped recording for a few miles, but even with my recalculations, I am still about 7-10 kms short of my goal. I’ll make it someday!

4CF9DC49-F2E7-444D-A50A-F20CA8714EC5.jpeg0CE3C781-54B2-4079-ACC8-D57D178693AF.jpeg1793493C-FE2B-4C29-BEC5-A2670E610E19.jpegC97A5BFD-EF5E-4833-993F-7B9985B72055.jpeg

BEBE9CC9-186F-4406-BB91-4D74A55442EA.jpeg 4FC68E42-FAB6-4D66-8ECE-F5FB46CBCC82.jpeg
184C260B-D296-4382-B629-4BCC9F7C9B54.jpegBD9BC453-EF30-4A01-B79B-815F40BCF65D.jpeg

Finally got to go north but the wind was above my pay grade. 14-15 mph is too much for these old bones, but I persisted. Made it to a town with more beautiful late 19th century homes than their population would suggest. The fields are being planted, some rows of corn are turning green, some cover crops and winter wheat remind me of those waving green fields on the camino. My wikiloc GPS stopped recording for a few miles, but even with my recalculations, I am still about 7-10 kms short of my goal. I’ll make it someday!

View attachment 99607View attachment 99608View attachment 99610View attachment 99612

View attachment 99611 View attachment 99614
View attachment 99609View attachment 99615
Lovely pictures, Laurie! What community is this? It doesn't look familiar to me; your Midwest Illinois neighbor.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Set off up the green fell on a steep path, the intention being to walk the long ridge southwards via Helvellen to Grasmere.
After about an hour a man with two skis, ski boots and headgear on his back passed us!
Heavens, this looks like a bad omen!
It was!
One of the "Dodd" fells was soon spotted covered in snow as we headed to the top to get a better view
Better be safe than sorry as the snow was nearly two feet deep as we slid image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegdown to Sticks pass

Helvellyn and the rest of them will have to wait for another day so down we went via a lovely stoney path to the village of Glenridding where the sun was shining as we sat at the cafe after an interesting walk
Two buses later got us back to base

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Set off up the green fell on a steep path, the intention being to walk the long ridge southwards via Helvellen to Grasmere.
After about an hour a man with two skis, ski boots and headgear on his back passed us!
Heavens, this looks like a bad omen!
It was!
One of the "Dodd" fells was soon spotted covered in snow as we headed to the top to get a better view
Better be safe than sorry as the snow was nearly two feet deep as we slid View attachment 99660View attachment 99661View attachment 99662View attachment 99663View attachment 99664View attachment 99665View attachment 99666View attachment 99667View attachment 99668down to Sticks pass

Helvellyn and the rest of them will have to wait for another day so down we went via a lovely stoney path to the village of Glenridding where the sun was shining as we sat at the cafe after an interesting walk
Two buses later got us back to base
Be there in three weeks staying in Grasmere 😊. Have beeh over Sticks Pass a few times. We use it as part of a 4 day circular walk from Keswick to Patterdale, Patterdale to Grasmere, Grasmere to Rosthwaite and Rosthwaite to Keswick.

The end or the start... Heuston Station at the western end of the quays on the River Liffey. The halfway point on one of my return walking trips. Trains go from here to points south and west/ northwest of the country. The emerging rosebud is on a bush I bought 16 years ago. It becomes a lovely soft yellow and has a delicate perfume.
2AFE7FBA-E40F-4DA6-BA45-1CDE65219734.jpeg

BB54D00E-FCA3-422D-A011-0936CEBEF79C.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is why I often have walked the camino in May. Soon middle of May and after 6-7 months of winter there is still snow in my path up in the hill at home. Still ice on the river too. Nice day today, but fully dressed up in winterclothes.
BUT day light 24 hours, soon midnightsun as well.
Have a nice Sunday peregrinos!

Attachments

• 82B2448E-5AA6-48DB-AD60-8A86C9D433A3.jpeg
    82B2448E-5AA6-48DB-AD60-8A86C9D433A3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • 0AB149BA-452A-47AD-A2EF-FF01D4E3439C.jpeg
    0AB149BA-452A-47AD-A2EF-FF01D4E3439C.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 1D86BBD6-0D5C-4092-9885-8BE0FDCD0160.jpeg
    1D86BBD6-0D5C-4092-9885-8BE0FDCD0160.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 15
Be there in three weeks staying in Grasmere 😊. Have beeh over Sticks Pass a few times. We use it as part of a 4 day circular walk from Keswick to Patterdale, Patterdale to Grasmere, Grasmere to Rosthwaite and Rosthwaite to Keswick.
Sounds good
hopefully you will have good weather
ours has been a mixture of sun and showers.....mostly showers though!
whatever the weather here...hail, rain or snow ..people walk, just can’t help themselves!
tomorrow we hope to do one of your stages, from Keswick to Seatoller.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A mixture of sun and showers today...mostly showers
Bus to Honister pass where there are some impressive slate sculpture and a few people waiting to start the Via Ferrata.
Stopped by the mountain rescue donation box.
This organisation is staffed completely by volunteers.
Had a look into the Bothy hut..basic but a shelter for those in need.
Took a detour to Haystacks over the river. Almost blown off by the gusts of wind on the way back
Some impressive waterfalls seen on the way down the winding stony path and a backwards view from where we'd descended image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
The rain hit us at the bottom and luckily the bus to Keswick just happened to arrive so a stroke of luck
About 9 km took us 4 hours

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I didn’t walk as far as I had thought because it started to rain. Since I am not training for a Camino I went home
I hear you loud and clear! My daily walks are all the same distance of 3-4 miles. I have no enthusiasm to add in extra mileage for training, as I have no airfare booked yet for an upcoming Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your posts of nature & places are lovely. I did really enjoy the opening words to this post.
- it’s a great ‘add’ having the map included to show exactly where you were.
- Thankyou.
You're welcome, @OzAnnie! It's a pleasure, every bit of the process-the walk, the photography + it's aftermath -choosing photos, wracking ones brain for words, then putting something together to share.
Cheers + have a nice day!

A wonderful walk partly through and then over the beautiful valley of Borrowdale
From Keswick to the Honister pass the path meandered under the peak of cat bells with Derwentwater on the other side

Crossing and passing many rivers today we arrived at Grange village for a long coffee stop as the rain poured down
Then a visit to the tiny church there before the path wound around the hillside just above the Borrowdale valley,reputedly the most beautiful in the Lake District
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
We had intended to stop at the village of Seatoller but the ongoing path up to the pass was too inviting, so up we went through the lovely scenery
The bus back to Keswick arrived soon after and off we went back to base
17 km and around 7 hours which included the coffee stop, church visit and picnic

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm rather fortunate to live with the Spessart mountain range on my southern horizon, the Kinzig river valley below my house and the Vogelsberg mountain range to the north. I normally hike in the Spessart, run along the river and mountain bike in the Vogelsberg. Not bad for a guy that grew up surrounded by cornfields. :cool:
Welcome to the forum, @VikingWarrior. It sounds like you live somewhere near the Bonifatius Weg. It's a lovely walk!

Cheers
Lovingkindness

Bonifatius-Route-08-003.jpg_1092107101.jpg

A wonderful walk partly through and then over the beautiful valley of Borrowdale
From Keswick to the Honister pass the path meandered under the peak of cat bells with Derwentwater on the other side

Crossing and passing many rivers today we arrived at Grange village for a long coffee stop as the rain poured down
Then a visit to the tiny church there before the path wound around the hillside just above the Borrowdale valley,reputedly the most beautiful in the Lake District
View attachment 99826View attachment 99827View attachment 99828View attachment 99829View attachment 99830View attachment 99831View attachment 99832View attachment 99833View attachment 99834View attachment 99835
We had intended to stop at the village of Seatoller but the ongoing path up to the pass was too inviting, so up we went through the lovely scenery
The bus back to Keswick arrived soon after and off we went back to base
17 km and around 7 hours which included the coffee stop, church visit and picnic
Annette, are you on holiday? It sounds like it if you are in the Lake District.😊

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annette, are you on holiday? It sounds like it if you are in the Lake District.😊
@Annette london ...and those photos remind me so much of Wainright's Coast-to-Coast which passes close Kewick and Windemere. It is a gorgeous part of the world!
Hi Chris and lovingkindness Yes we’re here for 9 nights and really enjoying the walks in Wainright country.
part of the walk today was on the coast to coast path as well as the Cumbria way

Welcome to the forum, @VikingWarrior. It sounds like you live somewhere near the Bonifatius Weg. It's a lovely walk!

Cheers
Lovingkindness

View attachment 99836
Thank you for the warm welcome. The Jakobsweg (James Way) starts at Fulda and goes through Mainz on its way to Trier and then into France. I plan on starting the Jakobsweg in Fulda even though it goes over the hill I live on its way to Trier. Another possibly would be following the Jakobsweg to Maintz and then the Bonifatius Weg back to Fulda once they lift our travel restrictions. Then hopefully Portugal in October.

Edited to add: We live close to the Bonifatius Weg, but have ridden our bikes from near Büdigen to Fulda and back home instead of hiking it.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good weather today so a walk along the crest of the Helvellyn range from north to south.. Stanah to Grasmere
No snow today. Up to sticks pass and up to Raise and onto Helvellyn at 3113 ft
The path up looked a bit dicey from a distance but fine with zig zags once on it.Some snow still in parts on the path

A nice view of red tarn from the trig point and we had lunch in the open shelter
Mountains for miles and beautiful scenery all around
Passed a fair few Fell runners! image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
Crossing Nethermost Pike and Dollywagon pike and then down to the beautiful Grisdale tarn for another rest
Up again to a col and the descending path to Grasmere.
Turned off at a seldom used path and down the grassy slope to Grasmere
16 km took us just over 7 hours

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good weather today so a walk along the crest of the Helvellyn range from north to south.. Stanah to Grasmere
No snow today. Up to sticks pass and up to Raise and onto Helvellyn at 3113 ft
The path up looked a bit dicey from a distance but fine with zig zags once on it.Some snow still in parts on the path

A nice view of red tarn from the trig point and we had lunch in the open shelter
Mountains for miles and beautiful scenery all around
Passed a fair few Fell runners! View attachment 99871View attachment 99872View attachment 99873View attachment 99874View attachment 99875View attachment 99876View attachment 99877View attachment 99878View attachment 99879View attachment 99880
Crossing Nethermost Pike and Dollywagon pike and then down to the beautiful Grisdale tarn for another rest
Up again to a col and the descending path to Grasmere.
Turned off at a seldom used path and down the grassy slope to Grasmere
16 km took us just over 7 hours
Looks like a fabulous trek but, 7 hours? I would need a really good lunch if I were going to be trekking for 7 hours. I hope you had a really good lunch in that open shelter. 😊

...a sumptuous experience exploring the beauty of nature; gazing for hours at the stonework and boiserie of an 11th century Church.

Capture web_11-5-2021_1826_www.geoportail.gouv.fr.jpeg
Map: Moirax- Aubiac-Moirax (15.5 km) PDF

1r.JPG2r.JPG3r.JPG
* (3) Église Sainte Marie d'Aubiac (11th century)

4r.JPG5r.JPG6r.JPG
*(6) Église Notre-Dame de Moirax (11th century)

Moirax since it's foundation in the eleventh century has been a halt along the way for pilgrims. It is one day's walk from Agen and on the way to La Romieu (Voie de Rocamadour/GR 652). I got quite carried away taking photos. A few days earlier, having found an old Guide Joanne in the house with a few pages on Moirax, I decided to translate a portion and add a few photos as illustration. I located other 19th and early 20th century sources as well as sketches and lithographs and an online collection of vintage postcards. The presentation is too large to post here, along with these photos so I'll have a go posting again just below....

Cheers
LK

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last edited:
We are spending two days hiking at "Devil's Lake State Park", Wisconsin's largest. It is truly one of the most beautiful in the Midwest. Glaciers scoured through the area leaving behind a 360 acre blue lake with huge Quartzite boulders cascading down 500' to the water's edge on its west and east rims. The views from the top are magnificent and we also walked the perimeter of the lake. We have been enjoying this park for many years and it's great to be back this spring in perfect weather. Tomorrow we hike several more of the parks 29 miles of trails.
Screenshot_20210511-210714~2.pngScreenshot_20210511-210832~2.pngScreenshot_20210511-211012~2.pngScreenshot_20210511-210146~2.png

We are spending two days hiking at "Devil's Lake State Park", Wisconsin's largest. It is truly one of the most beautiful in the Midwest. Glaciers scoured through the area leaving behind a 360 acre blue lake with huge Quartzite boulders cascading down 500' to the water's edge on its west and east rims. The views from the top are magnificent and we also walked the perimeter of the lake. We have been enjoying this park for many years and it's great to be back this spring in perfect weather. Tomorrow we hike several more of the parks 29 miles of trails.
View attachment 99909View attachment 99912View attachment 99916View attachment 99915
There is a huge lesson in the message in your last photo, Chrissy. Giant boulders can be stopped in their tracks! Glad you are having such a feast of nature.

Just back from a week on the Pennine Way, carrying tent and food. Apart from day walkers, met only one thru’ hiker...

Had to stop due to sub zero nighttime temperatures and absence of facilities....

To be continued! It was an alternative to heading from Alméria to Granada.81CF7D1C-B926-4C61-A6C2-A789C71357A8.jpeg4D1B591E-0C5C-4723-90ED-95638DAF72EE.jpeg430F6898-76B9-4DAD-B381-9DFF3595B435.jpegFFF0A073-14BE-4025-8D10-8508A94A15B9.jpeg70B1BBBC-3BE5-4AD9-94E2-9CC47992E9BD.jpeg

And thanks to you I now know that a fell runner is something quite different than a fallen runner.

Lovely pictures!
Ha ha, thanks Laurie
these guys and gals are amazing
I was imagining broken ankles and bones with the way they were moving over the rocks
a tough lot up here for sure

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Beautiful colourful evening at Iona an hour before sunset, wandering the river paths lined with Scotch Broom, the marshes bright with blooming Yellow Flag Irises and the boardwalk path at the edge of the pond lined with birders waiting for the Ospreys to start fishing. Along the way a Rufous Hummingbird and a Tree Swallow.

Ipath.jpg I path3.jpg I rufous.jpg I path2.jpg I yellowflag.jpg I walk.jpg I swallow.jpg

Last edited:
Supposed to be an easier low level walk today along the Coledale valley
Walked up the miners track to the now abandoned mines which mined Lead and Zinc for 130 years.the mine was closed in 1991

Crossing the river to go back down the other side, we spotted a very faint path going up and up
Well that put paid to the low level walk...
Well it's a path after all so it must be going somewhere we reasoned as we passed a shelter
Indeed it was and we ended up on Barrow overlooking the beautiful Newlands valley
Then to the village of Braithwaite for coffee
A detour to the isolated little church which unfortunately this time was closed
About 12 km..4 hours image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A walk in London today. Starting along the North bank of the River Thames and then walking under the river, through the 1912 foot tunnel. This then leads past the Cutty Sark, a 19th cent. Tea Clipper. Then through to Londons oldest Royal Park, Greenwich. It is not large but has a lot of history. I walked up past the site of the Roman temple, swung up around by the Anglo Saxon burial cemetary, 6th-7th cent. and on to the Original Royal Observatory. This is where Greenwich mean time was set and the 0 meridian. The view from the top by the Observatory covers from the City of London, to Canary Wharf, the new financial district, and on downriver. Since it was low tide on the river when I was there, I managed to get in some mudlarking as well.
Thames foot tunnel.jpgCutty Sark.jpgBurial mounds.jpgRoyal Observatory.jpgPanorama.jpgForeshore.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A walk in London today. Starting along the North bank of the River Thames and then walking under the river, through the 1912 foot tunnel. This then leads past the Cutty Sark, a 19th cent. Tea Clipper. Then through to Londons oldest Royal Park, Greenwich. It is not large but has a lot of history. I walked up past the site of the Roman temple, swung up around by the Anglo Saxon burial cemetary, 6th-7th cent. and on to the Original Royal Observatory. This is where Greenwich mean time was set and the 0 meridian. The view from the top by the Observatory covers from the City of London, to Canary Wharf, the new financial district, and on downriver. Since it was low tide on the river when I was there, I managed to get in some mudlarking as well.
View attachment 99994View attachment 99996View attachment 99997View attachment 99998View attachment 100002View attachment 100003
Thank you for these pics. For anyone who’s interested in the Royal Observatory, I highly recommend this book:

1620865863040.jpeg

And here’s an illustration of a painting in the book of the Royal Observatory circa 1766.

FB4994ED-EEA3-4B4A-9A51-12B4D414FDC3.jpeg

One of these days I am going to get to Greenwich.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
View attachment 99994View attachment 99996View attachment 99997View attachment 99998View attachment 100002View attachment 100003
Cutty Sark is the name of a Scotch Whisky. I worked in that Whisky Bond when I was a schoolgirl, during the holidays. For the record, £5.00 a week because I was only 15, and my friends got £8.00 as they were 16!
I have a few stories connected to those six weeks, and I still have the ridge on my left thumb from missing the top of the bottle with the little hammer when attempting to put in the cork!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A wonderful walk today with some amazing scenery
Off up the Newlands valley with Dale Head in view
The trig point in sight all the time like a speck on the horizon
Natural swimming pools and waterfalls on the way

Up and up to Dale head tarn and then further up to the summit at 2400 ft
Very undulating paths over Hindscarth and Robinson
Down then to splashing over a bog like area and over another ridge and down to Buttermere

The bus was due at 1318 and we really had to make this one as the next one was 2 hours after.....now missing it by an hour would be OK, but not by 5 minutes!!
So coming down was a challenge in itself and we've never run down a mountain so fast before
Made the bus by 5 minutes..
But did not have the time to visit the little church...next time we willimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

A wonderful walk today with some amazing scenery
Off up the Newlands valley with Dale Head in view
The trig point in sight all the time like a speck on the horizon
Natural swimming pools and waterfalls on the way

Up and up to Dale head tarn and then further up to the summit at 2400 ft
Very undulating paths over Hindscarth and Robinson
Down then to splashing over a bog like area and over another ridge and down to Buttermere

The bus was due at 1318 and we really had to make this one as the next one was 2 hours after.....now missing it by an hour would be OK, but not by 5 minutes!!
So coming down was a challenge in itself and we've never run down a mountain so fast before
Made the bus by 5 minutes..
But did not have the time to visit the little church...next time we willView attachment 100072View attachment 100073View attachment 100074View attachment 100075View attachment 100076View attachment 100077View attachment 100078View attachment 100079View attachment 100080View attachment 100081
Gorgeous! i love sweeping views like these! Very few in my area!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, I really didn't intend to derail the thread. Age was the reason. I got less because I was younger.

Sorry, I really didn't intend to derail the thread. Age was the reason. I got less because I was younger.
🤣 Yes, I know that.
Probably because she was a girl...period.
I absolutely refuse to go there! 🤣

I was thinking of ... er, ineptitude. What my brother delights in calling ‘user error,’ ... a running joke in our family.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I finally did my century ride! I really had hoped to do that before the heat of summer kicked in. It was not as much fun as many of my other rides, because I plotted the ride so that I did not go through towns where I was likely to want to tarry, but I am very glad I did it.

View attachment 100102View attachment 100103View attachment 100104View attachment 100105View attachment 100106View attachment 100107View attachment 100108
Congratulations
“the girl done good”
is that an old Ford truck?
we used to have one like that 60 years or so ago, and slide down the “thingy” on the side!...called a “baby Ford” back then
the buildings apart from the church look like those from the old Wild West films!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Congratulations
“the girl done good”
is that an old Ford truck?
we used to have one like that 60 years or so ago, and slide down the “thingy” on the side!...called a “baby Ford” back then
the buildings apart from the church look like those from the old Wild West films!
My thought exactly!

Heading up to Grassmoor peak image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegthis morning, we saw that it was covered in mist as were all the other peaks.
Went on for a while but as it wasn't lifting, decided to go back down and walk the fairly undulating valley
A beautiful walk with Bluebells growing all over the hills, an amazing sight.

Apparently over half of the worlds population of bluebells grow in the UK and it takes several years for a bluebell seed to grow into a bulb and subsequently flower

Arrived in Buttermere , a village dating back to at least Viking times when people fished and farmed for a livelihood
A nice easy days walking and as it had taken us 6 hours yesterday to cover 13 km, maybe it was just as well
After a month here, I'd probably have to be taken home in a box!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
An 8 k trek from home across the Iron Workers Memorial Bridge to see the grands at their soccer practice, and to have an outdoor visit.

- alongside a creek where efforts have been made to restore the natural flora
- a glimpse, between the bars of the bridge, of Burrard Inlet. The inlet continues five miles up Indian Arm and, up there, is mercifully free of industry
- in front of someone’s house, potted plants reminiscent of the Mediterranean
- lupins in bloom
AE6FC9E3-D868-4CD8-9E20-9CC137A46FC4.jpegFF37D86D-BCBA-43CC-B4F1-620EAE77E928.jpeg7962C1DB-D6A7-49B3-A014-709B19A43A7F.jpeg
1263506F-BE2C-4446-866A-00D4D59B6223.jpeg1A9C84DC-D9CC-4F35-9F5C-236E3A262710.jpeg

Before I went out this morning I listened to a story telling of the need as well as the value of uncovering past stories to explain the present. Of all the photos I took, here is one that partly shows that. It show the heights to which the people aspired in times past, and in the foreground, apartments have replaced a church building that belonged to a minority culture.
F1A90773-3DC1-4268-8C75-2DD84B684144.jpeg

A park on one of Los Angeles’ many hills. I was walking about 6am so lights were still on.

Attachments

• 6F7DBF87-A8E6-47C5-84FE-080E163F454F.jpeg
    6F7DBF87-A8E6-47C5-84FE-080E163F454F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 6B4DB800-DDFB-4EC1-8496-0967B74F8BFD.jpeg
    6B4DB800-DDFB-4EC1-8496-0967B74F8BFD.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 4408BFA4-3397-4A52-9E5A-3829539F2583.jpeg
    4408BFA4-3397-4A52-9E5A-3829539F2583.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Walk today with a friend but we were so busy talking that I only took two blurry pictures.
Then we have to force you to go back. The "Kevie" is way too good not to share with us ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back