• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do I begin?

Confabulous

Hi,

My name is Niall, I'm 26 and from Ireland. I'll be walking the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago next April. I don't why I'm doing it yet, except I've read Tim Moore's book 'Spanish Steps' (such a funny and inspirational book) and thought I'd benefit from it in some way. Just feel like a change of perspecive I guess.

Niall

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You have already begun your Camino !

The preparation is an exilarating phase where you are anxious and frightened by reading all these comments about cleanliness of albergues, blisters, rain or heat, dogs (!) and I don't know what.

Take it easy.... read on the Camino(s), buy yourself a good and lightweight guide. Read this forum. Enjoy.

It's somewhat more reflective but I think you should read Joyce Rupp's "Walking in a relaxed manner" - you don't have to be quite as saintly as her, though

Now that the second edition is lighter, the John Brierley book should be your guide (strong on the route and buildings) , supplemented with the CSJ annual guide (strong on refuges and shops) when it appears in early 2007

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Niall...

I say don't question "why"... sometimes you just need to do things...
My friend Ann and I are walking it next Spring as well. Maybe we'll see you out there. Good luck!

hey

hey Niall,
my names aine im planning to the camino next month...curiosity being my main reason and the spanish countryside looks amazing do u have any tips that you've read?! i have some friends that did it and have been reading lonely planet guides and trawling the net..so far my main concerns are safety (travelling alone etc.) and the blisters!!!

Hola, Niall,

Mercedes is right. Don't think too much about the "why". When you're on the camino the reason will dawn on you.

And even if you've gone home and you still don't know why, treat it as a perfect excuse to go back to the camino one more time. ;-)

Mark TQM

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Aine, don't really know much about the camino other then what I've read here and in Spanish Steps by Tim Moore (get it in Easons O'Connell St, it's really good). So no tips except either: 1. Use a donkey or 2. Keep it light (the backback, not the donkey).

Good luck on your way, and thanks to everyone for the tips. Or buen camino.

Hey Niall

Everything everyone has said here is so true.

Don't worry about the why. Maybe you have a shadow of an idea for why, but guaranteed that will change as you walk.

I suffer a lot from anxiety. I've done the camino before, so I think I know what to expect. I worry about dogs, tiredness, heat etc.

But deep down, I know it will be nothing like it was the last time. It will be a new wonderful adventure. New people, new challenges, new achievements.

Enjoy your time preparing and remember the camino starts from your front door, so you are already on your journey.

buen camino
:D
John

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back