• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where do I begin?

Confabulous

Hi,

My name is Niall, I'm 26 and from Ireland. I'll be walking the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago next April. I don't why I'm doing it yet, except I've read Tim Moore's book 'Spanish Steps' (such a funny and inspirational book) and thought I'd benefit from it in some way. Just feel like a change of perspecive I guess.

Niall

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You have already begun your Camino !

The preparation is an exilarating phase where you are anxious and frightened by reading all these comments about cleanliness of albergues, blisters, rain or heat, dogs (!) and I don't know what.

Take it easy.... read on the Camino(s), buy yourself a good and lightweight guide. Read this forum. Enjoy.

It's somewhat more reflective but I think you should read Joyce Rupp's "Walking in a relaxed manner" - you don't have to be quite as saintly as her, though

Now that the second edition is lighter, the John Brierley book should be your guide (strong on the route and buildings) , supplemented with the CSJ annual guide (strong on refuges and shops) when it appears in early 2007

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Niall...

I say don't question "why"... sometimes you just need to do things...
My friend Ann and I are walking it next Spring as well. Maybe we'll see you out there. Good luck!

hey

hey Niall,
my names aine im planning to the camino next month...curiosity being my main reason and the spanish countryside looks amazing do u have any tips that you've read?! i have some friends that did it and have been reading lonely planet guides and trawling the net..so far my main concerns are safety (travelling alone etc.) and the blisters!!!

Hola, Niall,

Mercedes is right. Don't think too much about the "why". When you're on the camino the reason will dawn on you.

And even if you've gone home and you still don't know why, treat it as a perfect excuse to go back to the camino one more time. ;-)

Mark TQM

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hey Aine, don't really know much about the camino other then what I've read here and in Spanish Steps by Tim Moore (get it in Easons O'Connell St, it's really good). So no tips except either: 1. Use a donkey or 2. Keep it light (the backback, not the donkey).

Good luck on your way, and thanks to everyone for the tips. Or buen camino.

Hey Niall

Everything everyone has said here is so true.

Don't worry about the why. Maybe you have a shadow of an idea for why, but guaranteed that will change as you walk.

I suffer a lot from anxiety. I've done the camino before, so I think I know what to expect. I worry about dogs, tiredness, heat etc.

But deep down, I know it will be nothing like it was the last time. It will be a new wonderful adventure. New people, new challenges, new achievements.

Enjoy your time preparing and remember the camino starts from your front door, so you are already on your journey.

buen camino
:D
John

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
We all know there are a lot of bikers on the shared Camino path. I was knocked over in the town of Villatuerta and had to return immediately to the US for treatment after destroying my Camino on...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back