• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to leave my car in Santiago?

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
Hi all, I am really looking forward to my little Christmas Camino! My plan is to drive from my home in Asturias to Santiago, leave my car there, travel by public transport to my starting point on the Portugués de la Costa (A Guarda) and then start walking back to my car. Does anyone know of a (free) parking in or around Santiago where I could leave my car?

I have been thinking of the (paid) airport car park, but maybe there is another option on walking distance from the center. And yes I know, every town or village in Spain is on walking distance from Santiago of course, but in this case I mean about 15-30 minutes walking from the center. 😁

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
When I was in Santiago with a hired car, I parked my car here. Easy access, not dark and good spaced parking lots. About 15 minutes walk from the cathedral. Easy to find in Santiago.
View attachment 160077
This is the parking I use (Parking la Salle), I think you can reserve a spot here:

If you are on a budget, this place here is one of the few places in Santiago where you a park for free. It is on the street... but free:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have to consider the security of your car. If a vehicle is parked in an ordinary public car park for an extended period of time, then it becomes of interest to the Police. You may return to find that the car has been visited by the Bomb Squad!
When I needed a long stay secure parking for my UK registered car in Seville, I used the airport car park. If you book in advance like I did, the weekly rate was lower than the daily rate for hotel parking.

Agree with @Marcus-UK with an addition that the care unfortunately may become of interest to "bad people" (probably faster than the police).
Granted it probably may matter not if its a paid "secure" garage\parking area, but IMHO its still better that just "leaving it in the open".
Any time I have to leave my car anywhere for extended period of time I use paid parking facility. Don't rightly know if they have the same in Spain, but here in US I even went as far as to use the facility where you leave the keys with the car (obviously make sure that anything of the value is out from it). The attendant will park it inside the facility and nobody but authorized personnel is allowed into the area...

Good luck, @Luka and Buen Camino! Don't forget to post on FindPenguins - will be following you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You have to consider the security of your car. If a vehicle is parked in an ordinary public car park for an extended period of time, then it becomes of interest to the Police. You may return to find that the car has been visited by the Bomb Squad!
Unless I'm reading things wrong, parking up for a week or so, with a car on spanish plates, won't be any big deal and there's lots of free parking around SdC on street/off street.

OP.. Enjoy Christmas camino!

When I needed a long stay secure parking for my UK registered car in Seville, I used the airport car park. If you book in advance like I did, the weekly rate was lower than the daily rate for hotel parking.
My car has Spanish license plates, so it would be a piece of cake for the police to contact me.

I checked the airport rates. It is definitely the cheapest, but still €78 for 12 days (if you pay in advance). I saw they do a discount of 20% if you book between November 24 and 27, so if I am going to choose that option I'll wait for those dates.

Agree with @Marcus-UK with an addition that the care unfortunately may become of interest to "bad people" (probably faster than the police).
Granted it probably may matter not if its a paid "secure" garage\parking area, but IMHO its still better that just "leaving it in the open".
Any time I have to leave my car anywhere for extended period of time I use paid parking facility. Don't rightly know if they have the same in Spain, but here in US I even went as far as to use the facility where you leave the keys with the car (obviously make sure that anything of the value is out from it). The attendant will park it inside the facility and nobody but authorized personnel is allowed into the area...

Good luck, @Luka and Buen Camino! Don't forget to post on FindPenguins - will be following you!
I have done it a few times before (in Oviedo, Logroño and Zamora), but a paid parking does give more peace of mind for sure.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The attendant will park it inside the facility and nobody but authorized personnel is allowed into the area...
On a similar note, on an outing to Chicago several years ago with a friend, her car was left with the attendant of an underground parking garage. When we returned at the end of the day and paid, the attendant brought the car to us. On the drive home she noticed the gas tank was nearly empty, yet she had filled it up that morning...it looked like a siphoning scam to us.

Most read last week in this forum

I'm sure this info has already been shared, but here's an update: the Tuna are still working their magic under the arches in the Praza Obradoiro (facing the catehdral) in the evenings. I was there...
I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
Mods: please move this thread to wherever it belongs and/or give me links to threads about this. Thanks! I will be in Santiago on Apr. 28-30. Usually I have stayed at zthe Last Stamp, but they...
I plan on arriving in SDC on July 23, and stay a day or two. How feasible is it that I will be able to get a seat for the 10:00 Mass on the Feast Day, the 25th? Am I better off attending a...
Hello, What time does the office close in Santiago today? The website lists different times in different places.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.