• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start my Coastal Camino?

Laura M

C.P. 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2023
Earlier this month, my husband and I completed the Portuguese Central from Valença, earned Compostelas, and absolutely loved the experience. We are already thinking about walking a portion of the Portuguese Coastal route in fall 2024. Due to limited time, we can spend no more than 7 days on the Camino. We are seniors and between us dealing with back and sleep issues so we’d like a route with beauty, mostly level paths, and ample amenities close to the Camino. We are not looking to visit Santiago again but to take in natural beauty, culture, and regional food along the way. We love walking along the beach and visiting fishing ports. We’re looking to keep our daily distance to 15km or less and our total walk to 90km or less. Could any veterans of the Coastal recommend good starting and end points, “must see” towns or attractions, or specific daily legs?

I might add that this year we visited the Pinhais sardine factory in Matosinhos this year (highly recommended!), but did not visit the beaches there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think the stretch between Matosinhos to Oia is the best fit for your parameters following the Senda Litoral whenever available. But I haven’t actually walked the part between Vila do Conde and Viana da Castelo. We switched to the central for that part. We had exceptional seafood in Matosinhos, A Guarda and Oia. Oia is a particularly lovely fishing village with an incongruously large monastery and the Camino has a lot of road walking beyond there so it’s a good stopping point.
If you had extra time, the boat trip from Vilanova da Arousa to Pontecesures includes a stop at a mussel farming operation. It’s really interesting!

I agree with ElCee that Oia in Spain would make a good stopping point. And for a beginning point, you might consider Viana do Costello on the Portuguese side. One advantage of Viana is that you can take the train directly there from Porto. And the segment between there and Oia includes some of the nicest scenery on the Coastal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think the stretch between Matosinhos to Oia is the best fit for your parameters following the Senda Litoral whenever available. But I haven’t actually walked the part between Vila do Conde and Viana da Castelo. We switched to the central for that part. We had exceptional seafood in Matosinhos, A Guarda and Oia. Oia is a particularly lovely fishing village with an incongruously large monastery and the Camino has a lot of road walking beyond there so it’s a good stopping point.
If you had extra time, the boat trip from Vilanova da Arousa to Pontecesures includes a stop at a mussel farming operation. It’s really interesting!
Thanks so much for this intriguing suggestion!

I agree with ElCee that Oia in Spain would make a good stopping point. And for a beginning point, you might consider Viana do Costello on the Portuguese side. One advantage of Viana is that you can take the train directly there from Porto. And the segment between there and Oia includes some of the nicest scenery on the Coastal.
Thanks so much! I appreciate the suggestion. Already can't wait for our next trip!

For me personally, I like the stretch between Oia and Baiona (my website with lots of photos to see this stage), so I would stop in Baiona. It is a wonderful town, with a castle and glorious beaches. In fact, with seven days, you should be able to do Porto to Baiona, keeping to the Senda Litoral if your goal is to stay on the coast as much as possible! Enjoy and happy planning!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I didn't do the Camino Portuges in Portugal, but started in A Guarda. The Way between A Guarda and Baiona is an easy walk and is beautiful. It's about 2/3 walking on the road, but the ocean is always on your left. Because of hip issues, I didn't take the rocky trail over the ridge from Mougas but stayed on the road (good shoulder facing the traffic).

Don't miss the harbor in A Guarda. It's like a postcard with lots of restaurants and bars along the water. I had incredible seafood there. Baiona too is a pretty town with lot of food options, a well as history. There used to be a bus that ran between A Guarda and Vigo, stopping in Baiona. I'm not sure if and when it's running.

Buen Camino.

I didn't do the Camino Portuges in Portugal, but started in A Guarda. The Way between A Guarda and Baiona is an easy walk and is beautiful. It's about 2/3 walking on the road, but the ocean is always on your left. Because of hip issues, I didn't take the rocky trail over the ridge from Mougas but stayed on the road (good shoulder facing the traffic).

Don't miss the harbor in A Guarda. It's like a postcard with lots of restaurants and bars along the water. I had incredible seafood there. Baiona too is a pretty town with lot of food options, a well as history. There used to be a bus that ran between A Guarda and Vigo, stopping in Baiona. I'm not sure if and when it's running.

Buen Camino.
Thank you, winemakerfw51.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back