• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

where to start the 100KM min?

Travelbug91

Time of past OR future Camino
(2013)
Being a non student or retired American, my vacation allowance will allow just 10 - 12 days. I want to walk the "way" for 5-6 days meeting the 100km minimum for credentials :). Likely fly into Madrid, somehow get to where I will start the "way" and then spend a couple days in Barcelona on my way out. My trip will likely be in early September.

1. Recommendations from where to start my short camino?
2. Once in Spain, is it easier to train around vs flying? i.e. train from CDS to Barcelona, from Madrid to start?
3. Is it common to have to prebook a bed?
4. Am I a fool to not start on the Camino Frances? It seems like the beginners route. Suggestions for other routes from the ocean or more coastal route? Camino Portugués perhaps? from Tui?

This will be my pilgrimage out of Breast Cancer and into my 40's... & approximately 6 months out of a pretty big surgery. A 5-6 day walk will be ample to get the heart racing and quell my zest (for a while anyway) for some cross-cultural hobnobbing, history, architecture, culinary bliss, the milky way. Please tell me we can see the milky way on the camino!
Travelbug, Florida

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Travelbug,
Welcome to the Forum. There are a number of places to start from but the most popular is probably starting at Sarria on the Camino Frances. This will give you the 100km for the Compostela. The Camino Frances is also probably the easiest for accommodation. Flying would definitely be quiker and easier as the train network can be a little slowish. Lot's of people prefer buses in Spain as they are sometimes easier and cheaper to get to many places. I've travelled back to Barcelona twice by train, once via Madrid (to spend time there) & then high speed to Barcelona, and once straight across (if there is such a thing with rail connections in Spain), both long journeys. If I had limited time I think I would look for cheap flights to Barcalona.
Buen Camino
Col

My answer is short and sweet. We only gave little time off work so are shortened caminho starting in Valença Portugal going 5 or so days ending in Santiago so NO you are not "incorrect" doing a different caminho. It is such a personal journey there is no right or wrong way to take it. I wish you the best as I walk in May in honor of my sister a victim of the horrid breast cancer and I walk for me, just a 50 yr old finding her way too! :)
Bom Caminho!
Red

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Everyone seems to mention Sarria as the start for the last 100 kms. Please could anyone tell me are there other routes for the last 100 kms please. We are wandering starting in SjjP but would like to know are ther other last 100 kms to obtain our Compostella. Thanking all in advance for this info.

I did a trip that was the five 100km routes into Santiago, so it is possible to do just 100km on any of the routes. On the Camino Ingles you need to start in Ferrol instead of A Coruna to get 100km.

Sienna Moon said:
Everyone seems to mention Sarria as the start for the last 100 kms. Please could anyone tell me are there other routes for the last 100 kms please. We are wandering starting in SjjP but would like to know are ther other last 100 kms to obtain our Compostella. Thanking all in advance for this info.

From Sarria on the Camino Frances
From Ourense on the Via de la Plata
From Ferrol on the Ingles
From Valenca or Tui on the Portugues

Also, to Santiago from Muxia via Finisterre or Finisterre via Muxia may also qualify but I'm not sure of exact distance for that route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I started my first Camino in Ourense (about 107km if memory serves), and it's a splendid walk. This route allows you to take the detour to the monastery in Oseira and pass through Cea, with its famous bread. You'll see plenty of other pilgrims, but it definitely won't be crowded, if that's a consideration. Oh -- it's the Via de la Plata / Camino Sanabres.

Melanie

Seeing the Milky Way could depend on the phases of the moon and, of course, cloud cover.
The planning website - http://www.godesalco.com/plan - provides sunrise/sunset and lunar illumination.
I checked the first week in September and you might be in luck! On the 6th September there is only a 2% illumination and 7% the next night, which means that on a clear night the skies will be dark enough for you to see the Milky Way! :D

Getting to Sarria
You can fly to Santiago from Madrid and then get a bus or taxi to Sarria. Or, you can take a night train from Madrid which gets you there in the early morning.

Flights: There are 5 daily flights on Iberia, from Madrid to Santiago (1hr10mins) ± $134 return (€101) or check RyanAir - they don't show any flights at the moment but usually do have flights 'in season' for about $40 (€30) one way

By bus from Santiago (you will need to take two buses – one to Lugo and then to Sarria)
To Lugo: The Company Freire, SL runs between Santiago and Lugo. From the bus station you catch a bus to Sarria (see next section) or take a taxi.
You can get the bus from the Santiago airport or from the bus station in Santiago. Check the timetables on the website. http://www.empresafreire.com
From Lugo to Sarria: The Company Monforte, SA runs busses from Lugo to Sarria. There are several buses every day of the week. http://www.monbus.es

Taxi: From Santiago airport to Sarria for about $132 (€100) The taxis take 4 people so you could share with other pilgrims

By train: Direct from Madrid:
Monday to Friday and Sunday (no service on Saturday): There is a Hotel-Train at 22:30 which arrives in Sarria at 6:50 the next day. Prices: from €51.30

You go girl! Hob-nob and munch your way through the Camino!! You deserve it! And if you want an itinerary, see attached.

Travelbug91 said:
Being a non student or retired American, my vacation allowance will allow just 10 - 12 days. I want to walk the "way" for 5-6 days meeting the 100km minimum for credentials :). Likely fly into Madrid, somehow get to where I will start the "way" and then spend a couple days in Barcelona on my way out. My trip will likely be in early September.

1. Recommendations from where to start my short camino?
2. Once in Spain, is it easier to train around vs flying? i.e. train from CDS to Barcelona, from Madrid to start?
3. Is it common to have to prebook a bed?
4. Am I a fool to not start on the Camino Frances? It seems like the beginners route. Suggestions for other routes from the ocean or more coastal route? Camino Portugués perhaps? from Tui?

This will be my pilgrimage out of Breast Cancer and into my 40's... & approximately 6 months out of a pretty big surgery. A 5-6 day walk will be ample to get the heart racing and quell my zest (for a while anyway) for some cross-cultural hobnobbing, history, architecture, culinary bliss, the milky way. Please tell me we can see the milky way on the camino!
Travelbug, Florida

Attachments

• TravelBug - 100km on the Camino de Santiago.docx
    14.2 KB · Views: 6
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
miguel_gp said:
From Sarria on the Camino Frances 114km
From Ourense on the Via de la Plata 108 km
From Ferrol on the Ingles 112 km
From Valenca or Tui on the Portugues 117km

From Lugo on the Camino Primitivo 101 km
From Baamonde on the Camino Norte 102 km
From Monte de Lemos on the Camino Invierno 120km
From Muxia/ Finisterre on the Fisterra Way 116 km

Thank you for the feedback and advise! I am so excited for the camino and the breadth of knowledge and advise received already. Thank you for sharing! Travelbug

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back