• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to start? Will I see wildflowers?

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
OK I had thought I had made my mind up. My next Camino would be a combination of Norte and Primitivo. Then I started thinking about it again.

Do I really want to see again what has already been seen? How about a new challenge, something different? Something beautiful that I haven't yet experienced?

So now I am considering the VdlP. I will have 22 days of walking, though that, demonstrated in the past is enough to cover about 800 km, when accomodated.

I am thinking about starting in either Merida or Caceres.

If I start in one of those places, will I see wildflowers in May? I would start May 13 and fly home June 5. It seems to me seeing other accounts that the best wildflowers might be further south.

I know very little about VdlP so please forgive me for my ignorance.

What do you experienced VdlP'rs think?

Damien

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
OK I had thought I had made my mind up. My next Camino would be a combination of Norte and Primitivo. Then I started thinking about it again. If I start in one of those places, will I see wildflowers in May? I would start May 13 and fly home June 5. It seems to me seeing other accounts that the best wildflowers might be further south.Damien
You will see many, many wild flowers in May - throughout all of Spain. It's a lovely month in which to walk - the rains of April have gone and the temperatures are rising. Indeed it can be VERY hot in May/June - it was 37 degs C when I walked the Ebro this last May. But the flowers always amaze me - and I take too many pictures of the wild flowers..... enjoy!
DSCF6658.JPG DSCF6700.JPG

P1020785.JPG P1020966.JPG

Buen camino!

Our Spanish friend said the route is best from Merida onwards. We started from Seville (on bikes) but we admit he was right. In May the flowers were wonderful and especially between Merida and Salamanca.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Annie - I have experimented with starting a camino and not making it to Santiago before given time restrictions, and it didn't suit me well. I had to fly home and then for the next two weeks read my new friend's posts about their camino while I was in my office in front of my computer... Very depressing for me...

So I'd like to start somewhere where I have enough time to finish in Santiago, or maybe even walk on to Finn or Muxia as I haven't done that for a couple of years.

I like a challenge but 1000km in 22 days seems like pushing it little....

In April/May this year I walked from Málaga, joining the VdlP at Mérida. I posted to my blog every day with lots of photos of wild flowers. Take a look if you like - see the link below.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the information, thanks for the photos. My current plan is to start in early-mid March 2016 (I have only a 30-days window of opportunity). I need to do my homework on the wild flowers and the weather conditions during March-April on Via de la Plata and Camino Frances, I am not flying solo, my wife will be with me. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
Gronze has a note for the albergue in Valdesalor saying the key needs to be picked up from the town hall or the bar. Am I correct in assuming that this only applies if you are the first to arrive...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back