• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

History/Interesting things to see on the Sanabres?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
My daughter and I are going to walk from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago on the Sanabres (she doesn't have a lot of time) this spring. Gerald Kelly's guidebook for VdLP and the Sanabres is a wealth of info about accomodations and other facilities available in towns along the way, restaurants, info on altitude rises and drops, navigation, etc. Is there another guide that would cover this section and provide more information about interesting sites and history along the way? thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My daughter and I are going to walk from Puebla de Sanabria to Santiago on the Sanabres (she doesn't have a lot of time) this spring. Gerald Kelly's guidebook for VdLP and the Sanabres is a wealth of info about accomodations and other facilities available in towns along the way, restaurants, info on altitude rises and drops, navigation, etc. Is there another guide that would cover this section and provide more information about interesting sites and history along the way? thanks!
To help with your planning
you might check the points of interest listed in the Eroski on line guide.

Carpe diem to both of you.

Last edited:
How lucky, a walk with your daughter!

One place to look is in the “Al Loro” section of Gronze. There’s an “al loro” tab on every stage, and it contains a mish mash of interesting potpourri info about the stage and frequently includes little side detours.

I’m kind of drawing a blank for historic sites after Puebla de Sanabria (which has its own romanesque church/castle to visit). The places that come to mind are mainly before Puebla, like castle at Castrotorafe, monastery of Moreruela, the oldest known statue of Santiago Peregrino on the exterior wall of a very nice romanesque church in Santa Marta de Tera (I’m just throwing these out for others who might be interested).

But the detour to the monastery and new albergue in Oseira would have to be up there at the top of the list of historic sites after Puebla. And the doorway to the Ourense cathedral is said to have been done by Maestro Mateo of Santiago fame, or someone in his workshop.

Maybe others will remember what I’m surely forgetting.

My one bit of unsolicited advice would be to avoid the industrial/commercial slog into Ourense and take the river path.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, one obvious thing is the Pórtico del Paraíso in the cathedral of Ourense. It's influenced by and almost contemporary with the Pórtico da Glória in Santiago and is a more pleasant 'visiting experience' because it's not separated out from the regular cathedral visit with photos prohibited like in Santiago.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You'll be going through wolf country. Chances of seeing any small, but still...just to know that they're there....buen camino

John Brierley’s C. Sanabres guide book (covers this and the Invierno) is definitely work a read for this route.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ourense has one of the best Tapa scenes on any of the camino routes. It is well worth it to make run through the bars for dinner...

Also..I agree with Laurie about the really mind killing industrial slog into Ourense.
I normally do not recommend skipping a local route as I like to see it as the locals see it...but this is really something that will add nothing to your adventure.

Since you are time challenged, you may want to see about a taxi or uber or bus into town to give you more time to look around.

Hopefully, the municipal albergue is no longer locking the door at night with a chain and padalock :oops:

You'll be going through wolf country. Chances of seeing any small, but still...just to know that they're there....buen camino
I was behind a bush for a pit stop when my French amigos saw a wolf at close range. It was before Campobecerros up on the ridge. Why was I the unlucky one?!

Which reminded me of a very interesting place to visit. About a kilometer and a half out of Lubian, there is an old wolf catcher structure that is really fascinating. The path leaves from the medical center and it’s very obvious.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I want to see a wolf!
We will be starting our walk in Puebla de Sanabria in mid-April, which is looking - from my research - to be a bit chilly. Will albergues/hostals be open then?

I want to see a wolf!
We will be starting our walk in Puebla de Sanabria in mid-April, which is looking - from my research - to be a bit chilly. Will albergues/hostals be open then?
Just spitballing, but since Semana Santa / Easter is the last week of March next year, presumably albergues will be open by mid-April.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Come to Los Angeles, California for wildlife.

We have urban coyotes, watch out for your wee doggies left outside.

The neighborhoods near mountain foothills have more coyotes, bears, mountain lions, and wolves.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I want to see a wolf!
When I walked the Levante, the two French pilgrims I was walking with were stopped a bit ahead of me while I went behind a bush for a pit stop. They saw a wolf (this was somewhere after the company town ruins for building the dam after A Guidiña but before the descent to Campobecerros, on the Sanabrés). They said it was just standing there, kind of locked eyes with them, and then haughtily sauntered away.

So maybe you will be lucky, but if not, the 19th century wolf catcher outside Lubián is very interesting!

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back