• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to walk for 7 to 14 days on Le Puy route?

chitocamino

Hello a friend and I are walking the camino for about two weeks this July. We want to do at least half (or maybe the whole time) in France. We're wondering which part of the Le Puy route people would recommend.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Ashley

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
You can start at the beginning! from Le Puy to Aumont-Aubrac is 7 days. Aumont-Aubrac is the first town after Le Puy with a rail connection. Or, you could walk from Aumont-Aubrac to Conques, which is another 7 days. However, there is no rail in Conques so you will need to arrange motor transport out. The best scenery is between Le Puy and Figeac, so if you only have one week, I recommend you spend it in that area.

There is also a route deviation in the Ceile Valley, which I have not personally walked but many here have, that I think is about a week. I'm not sure the rail/transit connection start/end for you though.

If it was me, I would walk from Le Puy as far as I could: my favourite part of the whole route was this first section from Le Puy to Conques. You might end up somewhere without easy transport out, eg in Conques, but could then take a taxi to Rodez if the limited public transport didn't suit.
I don't have public transport details, but if you manage to get as far as Figeac or Decazeville, they are both larger centres that I am sure you could find connections from.
Margaret

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Le Puy - Conques.

PS Keep in mind that this a beautiful section and you don't want to gallop along and rush so much that you miss things. Like stopping by a stream, a medieval church, enjoying a drink in a bar etc. You can of course do it quicker than the conventional 12-14 days, but my guess is you want a quality walk and want to avoid merely passing through. Joggers do that!

If you do this walk, let us know your thoughts? There are some good pics on the forum....

Bon chemin!

Le-Puy-en-Velay to Conques is about 9 days; to Figeac is about 11 days; to Cahors is about 14 days, all depending on your level of fitness. The first part of the pilgrimage has the more dramatic scenery, but the end approaching St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port is also quite nice.

falcon269 said:
Le-Puy-en-Velay to Conques is about 9 days; to Figeac is about 11 days; to Cahors is about 14 days.
Not necessarily.... I had been on the road for 21 days before I reached Cahors..... I had two rest days along the way- one in Estaing to let blisters heal after my feet got saturated crossing the Aubrac Plateau, and another in Conques to enjoy being there.... plus I deliberately walked short days on my first few days out from Le Puy to 'walk myself in'.
Margaret

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No killer days except perhaps into Cajarc and Cahors:

Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km)
1) Le Puy-en-Velay - Saint-Privat-d'Allier 24 24
2) Saint-Privat-d'Allier - Saugues 19.6 43.6
3) Saugues - La Roche-sur-Lajo (FR 600 m) 21.3 64.9
4) La Roche-sur-Lajo (FR 600 m) - Aumont-Aubrac 22.9 87.8
5) Aumont-Aubrac - Montgros 23.6 111.4
6) Montgros - Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac 18.9 130.3
7) Saint-Chély-d'Aubrac - Espalion 23.7 154
8) Espalion - Golinhac 25.8 179.8
9) Golinhac - Conques 20.9 200.7
10) Conques - Livinhac-le-Haut 25.1 225.8
11) Livinhac-le-Haut - Figeac 25.3 251.1
12) Figeac - Cajarc 31.6 282.7
13) Cajarc - Varaire (FR 500 m) 26.1 308.8
14) Varaire (FR 500 m) - Cahors 32.8 341.6

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back