• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where to walk in February?

debigetsout

Donating Member
Time of past OR future Camino
all
We are keen on walking again soon, and mostly focusing on beginning in the south-east of Spain for weather reasons. We have 4-6 weeks, and are open to cobbling together all or portions of numerous routes. We have been thinking about beginning on the Mozarabe, but the Levante from Valencia (eventually joining the Madrid) is also intriguing. We don't have a lot of criteria, other than selecting a beautiful route and hopefully not getting rained on every day.

We don't really care where we end up as we will purchase a one way flight from The Netherlands, and plan our return journey once we know where we are returning from. Oh, and we have walked the Serrana and VDLP, so are looking for something different.

So, can anyone recommend a route that they have walked, or dream of walking?

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Debi
I think your decision to post on the mozárabe sub forum was a good one. The amigos who look after the section from Almeria to Granada ensure you get the best intel for this route. So make contact with them. Nely lives in Almeria.

I don’t think you could go wrong with this choice., since you’ve already walked the Vdlp. (Unless you walk that one again ❤️ / the Vdlp is a super caminó. )

I haven’t walked the portugués starting in Lisbon but would be worth researching.

You might have noticed a thread by @islandwalker recently…. about a different walking section out of Almeria.

I think you’ll find it cold anywhere in February but with the right gear and preparation- it should be fun.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We are keen on walking again soon, and mostly focusing on beginning in the south-east of Spain for weather reasons. We have 4-6 weeks, and are open to cobbling together all or portions of numerous routes. We have been thinking about beginning on the Mozarabe, but the Levante from Valencia (eventually joining the Madrid) is also intriguing. We don't have a lot of criteria, other than selecting a beautiful route and hopefully not getting rained on every day.

We don't really care where we end up as we will purchase a one way flight from The Netherlands, and plan our return journey once we know where we are returning from. Oh, and we have walked the Serrana and VDLP, so are looking for something different.

So, can anyone recommend a route that they have walked, or dream of walking?
Have you thought about the Lana, starting from Valencia or Alicante via Cuenca to Burgos? You don´t say when you are walking, but spring is very unpredictable - you may get hot and dry, you may get very wet even in Andalucía.

or dream of walking?
I spent most of February in Sevilla last year, and while the nights were cold, the afternoons were usually warm. I think if you go farther north, past the mountain ranges above Sevilla, it'll start to get much colder.

So how about walking on the Mozarabe from Almería past Granada to Baena and back down to Malaga? Then, if you still have time go west from Malaga and start the Via Serrana to Sevilla.

I haven't been on either of these routes, but I've read a lot about them and they sound really nice.

Have you thought about the Lana, starting from Valencia or Alicante via Cuenca to Burgos? You don´t say when you are walking, but spring is very unpredictable - you may get hot and dry, you may get very wet even in Andalucía.
I will check these out! We are quite open to where we walk, so I am casting a wide net to learn more about wonderful walks that people have done or want to do. We will be sure to dress/pack for variations in weather!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I spent most of February in Sevilla last year, and while the nights were cold, the afternoons were usually warm. I think if you go farther north, past the mountain ranges above Sevilla, it'll start to get much colder.

So how about walking on the Mozarabe from Almería past Granada to Baena and back down to Malaga? Then, if you still have time go west from Malaga and start the Via Serrana to Sevilla.

I haven't been on either of these routes, but I've read a lot about them and they sound really nice.
We have walked the Serrana, but your other suggestions offer nice possibilities. We don't need to have a fixed destination; only walk!

Hi Debi
I think your decision to post on the mozárabe sub forum was a good one. The amigos who look after the section from Almeria to Granada ensure you get the best intel for this route. So make contact with them. Nely lives in Almeria.

I don’t think you could go wrong with this choice., since you’ve already walked the Vdlp. (Unless you walk that one again ❤️ / the Vdlp is a super caminó. )

I haven’t walked the portugués starting in Lisbon but would be worth researching.

You might have noticed a thread by @islandwalker recently…. about a different walking section out of Almeria.

I think you’ll find it cold anywhere in February but with the right gear and preparation- it should be fun.

Buen camino.
Thanks, OzAnnie! Can you tell me how to contact those Amigos in advance, if that is indeed possible?

We have walked the Portugués from Porto, the first part along the coast (wonderful!) and then moving inland (also nice, but the sea is nicer).

Thanks also for the mention of Islandwalker's post. The videos are in the queue to check out.

We began the Serrana in January 2023, and mornings were indeed crispy, warming up to an ideal walking temperature during the day. Except for driving wind and rain on the first day, we had perfect walking weather!

When we walked the VdLP we did not begin until April, and it was already super hot, so that is a good one for a winter start, for sure. As MLA1 found, an umbrella helped immensely to moderate the sun. So we will certainly prepare for all kinds of weather. Really, only the prospect of endless rain is discouraging. We get enough of that in The Netherlands!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here are some notes I copied a couple years ago. They may not be up to date:

If you have the link - I’d suggest
Number 1- Contact the association president ‘Mercedes’ of the group

by WhatsApp. +34649806150

She will send you the latest version to your WhatsApp number.

Nely (another association member ) who lives in almeria has an albergue there (donativo)
Her WhatsApp is: +34619860198

There are other association contacts - Veronika lives along the route. Usually after they finish work in Fridays - Mercedes and Veronika will catch up with pilgrims enroute.

Paco is the contact in Guadix.

I’d suggest you load these 2 WhatsApp numbers in your phone to start with.
I stayed with Nely in Almería for 2 nights - she was very helpful with stage ideas - I had a list of my proposed stages and she gave me her opinion.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here are some notes I copied a couple years ago. They may not be up to date:

If you have the link - I’d suggest
Number 1- Contact the association president ‘Mercedes’ of the group

by WhatsApp. +34649806150

She will send you the latest version to your WhatsApp number.

Nely (another association member ) who lives in almeria has an albergue there (donativo)
Her WhatsApp is: +34619860198

There are other association contacts - Veronika lives along the route. Usually after they finish work in Fridays - Mercedes and Veronika will catch up with pilgrims enroute.

Paco is the contact in Guadix.

I’d suggest you load these 2 WhatsApp numbers in your phone to start with.
I stayed with Nely in Almería for 2 nights - she was very helpful with stage ideas - I had a list of my proposed stages and she gave me her opinion.
Thank you! So helpful. Love this forum. I just made another donation to Ivar.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, OzAnnie! Can you tell me how to contact those Amigos in advance, if that is indeed possible?

We have walked the Portugués from Porto, the first part along the coast (wonderful!) and then moving inland (also nice, but the sea is nicer).

Thanks also for the mention of Islandwalker's post. The videos are in the queue to check out.

We began the Serrana in January 2023, and mornings were indeed crispy, warming up to an ideal walking temperature during the day. Except for driving wind and rain on the first day, we had perfect walking weather!

When we walked the VdLP we did not begin until April, and it was already super hot, so that is a good one for a winter start, for sure. As MLA1 found, an umbrella helped immensely to moderate the sun. So we will certainly prepare for all kinds of weather. Really, only the prospect of endless rain is discouraging. We get enough of that in The Netherlands!

Dennis Pack has kindly shared the contact info.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When do you think that you will begin walking in February, Sue?
Looks like the 19th or 20th, as it is going to take me all weekend to get to Almería. So far I'm arriving by bus in Granada on the evening of the 18th, but to late for the onward bus. I'd like to have a look around Almería, so plan to stay there on 19th and start walking on 20th.ill then have just over 3 weeks to walk as far as I can to a place where I can get transport back to Normandy.

Looks like the 19th or 20th, as it is going to take me all weekend to get to Almería. So far I'm arriving by bus in Granada on the evening of the 18th, but to late for the onward bus. I'd like to have a look around Almería, so plan to stay there on 19th and start walking on 20th.ill then have just over 3 weeks to walk as far as I can to a place where I can get transport back to Normandy.
We begin much earlier so are unlikely to cross paths. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
So impressive, the enthusiasm and care from the Almeria Camino Mozarabe association. I may end up there myself, although I'm looking at several other options in the south of Spain for early March.
Same here. :) I’ll start around feb 24th but still not sure which one and my itinerary, i have almost three months so i always combine camino’s. I was looking at the La Lana and Sureste from Alicante also. But not sure about the accomodation. Like you mentionned i’m enthusiasm about the Almeria Camino association. It can be different but always so nice.
My last one was Vdlp two years ago.

I will add my 2 cents worth regarding the Mozarabe.

I walked from Almeria to Merida in the Spring of 2022. I would concur with what has already been written regarding the Mozarabe "association" and their incredible commitment to the pilgrims passing through as well as the time and effort they've put in maintaining/improving the Camino markings/directions along the route, publishing their (mostly) monthly guide which encompasses the entire route from Almeria to Merida, etc. As someone has already stated, the association focuses their efforts primarily on the stretch of the Mozarabe from Almeria to Granada. I believe there are similar groups which cover the later sections of the Mozarabe, but they didn't have as much of a presence in my view as Nely & Mercedes and the "association".

Nely, in particular, is simply a camino angel (and that's an understatement) and was, more or less, "on call" 24/7 if you needed information about where to stay, etc. She met me in Almeria (where she lives and works), fed me, and helped me make my initial arrangements regarding stages, places to stay, and so on.

The Spring of 2022 was uncharacteristically wet and rainy with a lot of local flooding which posed a number of logistical problems on some of the stages (esp. early on between Alboloduy to Abla and Abla to Hueneja) involving washed out roads & rock slides. Nely was one of several folks who drove out to the albergues in the rain to check on us to make sure we arrived ok. I can't sing Nely's and the association's praises enough.

And then there are my friends Michel Cerdan and Jonathan Browne who are involved with the "Amis Camino Mozarabe Via de la Plata" (Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mozarabesdelmundo) and who have recently opened the Centro de Interpretacion del Camino Mozarabe de Santiago de Magacela (https://www.wikicaminomozarabe.com/fr/centro-de-interpretacion-del-camino-mozarabe-de-magacela) [both in french & spanish, but google translate into english works for the most part] which is dedicated to promoting the history, culture, and natural beauty that are such integral components to understanding and experiencing the Mozarabe in particular and Andalusia & Extremadura, in general.

As you can see, there are so many people who share a passion and commitment to the Camino Mozarabe, its history, and importance in the overall cultural fabric of southern Spain and the Camino de Santiago.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nely and the team will make the section from Almeria to Granada a good start. They contact hospitaleros and give access codes to unstaffed albergues.

From Granada onwards you need to arrange your own accommodation. I was prepared to camp out and did so 4 times. Used police refugios 4 times. Also budget hotels and hostels.

I walked March/April to Merida. So in Feb it would be a cooler walk.

You pass through varying agricultural land. Farm tracks and roads. Ascents and descents don't last long and the paths are clear.

Up to Granada it can seem like a party. Less people up to Cordoba. I walked to Merida mostly on my own. Then busy at the albergue in Merida. A main stopover.

I'm currently considering starting from Cadiz or Gibraltar in the next few weeks

Nely and the team will make the section from Almeria to Granada a good start. They contact hospitaleros and give access codes to unstaffed albergues.

From Granada onwards you need to arrange your own accommodation. I was prepared to camp out and did so 4 times. Used police refugios 4 times. Also budget hotels and hostels.

I walked March/April to Merida. So in Feb it would be a cooler walk.

You pass through varying agricultural land. Farm tracks and roads. Ascents and descents don't last long and the paths are clear.

Up to Granada it can seem like a party. Less people up to Cordoba. I walked to Merida mostly on my own. Then busy at the albergue in Merida. A main stopover.

I'm currently considering starting from Cadiz or Gibraltar in the next few weeks
Thanks! There are some Forum threads on the Serrana (which you likely know about), including our experience of it.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
We have now booked our flight. We plan on beginning the Mozarabe in Almeria on 7 February. Staying in Malaga on the 3rd and 4th and then taking the train to Almeria, staying there the 5th and 6th. Hoping to bunk at the Almeria albergue and chat with Nely. Thanks for the input, everyone!
I've booked too. Will be 2 weeks behind you. Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back