A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Video Why do People Walk the Camino - with Ivar Rekve (who shares a Secret!)

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
Yes, thank you for this series. I note that you have excellent lighting conditions Robo - what is the secret?
It's not that hard really, well I guess it's all relative.
I do a lot of videos and webinars (very amateur) from my desk, so it's actually permanently set up like a studio.
As is my living room, whilst I work from home :rolleyes:

This was just recorded on my PC (Zoom) using a webcam.

But for lighting, I have:

1 main light (softbox) at about 45 degrees and above.
1 reflector (in place of a fill light) at about 45 degrees on the other side.
1 'hair light' softbox above and behind me.

A 'classic' studio setup really.

So it's 2 very cheap video lights with softboxes and stands (maybe $70 each) and a reflector (about $30).

You could get close to the same effect if you had good window light at about 45 degrees probably.

Hope that makes sense.

I can PM more detail if you need it.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) Portugues(2013)
San Salvador (2017) Ingles (2019)
It's not that hard really, well I guess it's all relative.
I do a lot of videos and webinars (very amateur) from my desk, so it's actually permanently set up like a studio.
As is my living room, whilst I work from home :rolleyes:

This was just recorded on my PC (Zoom) using a webcam.

But for lighting, I have:

1 main light (softbox) at about 45 degrees and above.
1 reflector (in place of a fill light) at about 45 degrees on the other side.
1 'hair light' softbox above and behind me.

A 'classic' studio setup really.

So it's 2 very cheap video lights with softboxes and stands (maybe $70 each) and a reflector (about $30).

You could get close to the same effect if you had good window light at about 45 degrees probably.

Hope that makes sense.

I can PM more detail if you need it.
You are very kind to offer more details. I will try to see what I can do. I use a MacBook air normally, though occasionally I use an ipad. I don’t like the ipad, I prefer the control I can get on the laptop. I open a daily zoom meeting at 7pm Gmt, with a closed group, and we share a silent moment focussing on the frontline workers who are caring for those in danger because of corona virus, Covid19. Our focus is not optimum lighting, but I would like to try to improve the effect, as it makes the experience much more pleasant when I see how sharp and clear yours is. Anyway, once more, thanks for these little cameos, they are short and sweet, and informative.

Rex

Pilgrim Trekker
Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago (2013)
Lisboa to Santiago (2018)
Wonderful short video and interesting observations from Ivar. Great to see Ivar on the other end of the questions, too.

lavender girl

Camino(s) past & future
Future
Wonderful interview. Brings memories flooding in of the most amazing experience of my life as a 70+ year old from Australia who was brought down twice once with bad health and once from the soul destroying cold temperatures and wet days my shorts and t-shirts were inadequate for but who still wants to come back one more time........

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
I'll be sorry if the luggage storage service is discontinued but if that's what it takes to give Ivar the freedom to experience walking his own Camino, then so be it.
Was that "the secret"?

Trini48

Camino(s) past & future
2014 CF
2015 Irun to Oviedo.
2017 Primitivo, Portuguese
2018 Madrid
Enjoyed the interview very much, thanks

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF Sarria to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
You are very kind to offer more details. I will try to see what I can do. I use a MacBook air normally, though occasionally I use an ipad. I don’t like the ipad, I prefer the control I can get on the laptop. I open a daily zoom meeting at 7pm Gmt, with a closed group, and we share a silent moment focussing on the frontline workers who are caring for those in danger because of corona virus, Covid19. Our focus is not optimum lighting, but I would like to try to improve the effect, as it makes the experience much more pleasant when I see how sharp and clear yours is. Anyway, once more, thanks for these little cameos, they are short and sweet, and informative.
In that case, just make sure you have good light, natural from a window if possible, or a lamp of some kind. From the front or side. Not behind you or it looks like one of those silhouette criminal interviews! And try to get the webcam at eye level.

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018, 2019
Was that "the secret"?
I think the "secret" was that Ivar hasn't walked the Camino. I think I heard Ivar say this in another video, so it wasn't really a secret. It is surprising, though, considering that Ivar has played such a significant role in this community.

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
He needs to walk it! And then stay home with the child while his wife walks it. (I've seen families with small children doing the camino, but it looks a lot more heroic than i would ever attempt.)

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times
Ivar, as soon as it is feasible and safe for you, please walk the Camino. 👍

Juno

Camino(s) past & future
Camino French Way (2012 - 2014)
SJPDP - Sahagun (June 2015)
Sahagun - Muxia (June 2016)
80,000 on this forum, that’s staggering! I had to listen again to make sure I heard you right Rob. Congratulations Ivar, that’s worth celebrating! A good jobs bars are open again. ;)

countycork

Camino(s) past & future
26th May 2013
Oh my God - Ivar has never walked the Camino, thought he had already done ALL the routes😄😄😄 lol!!!!
Enjoyed the interview ROBO - must tune into the other videos, thank you!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.7%
  • October

Votes: 157 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock