• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why do we do it?

Qwertyberty

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Santiago 2016
St Olav's - 2017??
Well, I'm sure this has been addressed many times before, but.....
Why do we do it?? Why do we keep on coming back to the camino, despite (in my case, vowing "never again") ?
Next September (planning already) will be my 11th walk on various camino paths - this must be some kind of treatable addiction, surely? (I confess my initial introductory post on here may have been somewhat misleading)
Should I see my GP, or more like, my counsellor?
Well, for me, for all that I am not "religious", I do feel a strong spiritual connection with The Way; the millions of previous pilgrims walking those paths over the last thousand years must surely have left some kind of aura.. or prescense. Hard to explain. Whilst trekking up a dire hill in the pouring rain, I try to imagine some poor medieval pilgrim in his cloak and sandals with just a hard straw palliasse to lie on at the day's end, and no chance of a menu del dia con vino.
Undoubtably, the Camino de Santiago does carry a much wider swatch than, for example, The Pennine Way. OK, the AT/PCT in the US would come close, I guess, but my experience is that everyone you talk to has heard of the camino, more so of course since the film.
I have walked the Frances 3 times now, and still need to do it again.
Is this sad?

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A well know poem by Eugenio Garibay Baños from a wall in Najera (CF), reads, in translation:

Dust, mud, sun and rain,
is the Way of Saint James;
thousands of pilgrims and more than a thousand years.

Pilgrim, who calls you?
What hidden force brings you here?
Nor the Way of the Stars,
nor the grand cathedrals.

Neither is it the courage of Navarra,
nor the Rioja wine.
Nor the seafood of Galicia,
nor the fields of Castilla.

Pilgrim, who calls you?
What hidden force attracts you?
It is not the people of the way
nor their rural customs.

Nor their history and culture.
Nor the cockerel of la Calzada,
nor Gaudi's palace,
nor the castle in Ponferrada.

Everything I see in passing is a joy,
but the voice which calls me,
I feel much deeper.

The force which pulls me,
that attracts me,
I cannot explain.
Only the one above knows why.

Why do we do it?? Why do we keep on coming back to the camino, despite (in my case, vowing "never again") ?
Next September (planning already) will be my 11th walk on various camino paths - this must be some kind of treatable addiction, surely?
Incurable. Sorry. (Not really...)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Next September (planning already) will be my 11th walk on various camino paths - this must be some kind of treatable addiction, surely? (I confess my initial introductory post on here may have been somewhat misleading)
Well, for me, for all that I am not "religious", I do feel a strong spiritual connection with The Way; the millions of previous pilgrims walking those paths over the last thousand years must surely have left some kind of aura.. or prescense. Hard to explain. Whilst trekking up a dire hill in the pouring rain, I try to imagine some poor medieval pilgrim in his cloak and sandals with just a hard straw palliasse to lie on at the day's end, and no chance of a menu del dia con vino.
Undoubtably, the Camino de Santiago does carry a much wider swatch than, for example, The Pennine Way. OK, the AT/PCT in the US would come close, I guess, but my experience is that everyone you talk to has heard of the camino, more so of course since the film.
Is this sad?

Edit. Dare I add this? A peregrina companion would be welcomed for a Frances walk next Sept. PM if interested:)
Is this sad?

Edit. Dare I add this? A peregrina companion would be welcomed for a Frances walk next Sept. PM if interested:)
Why do we do it? We are blessed...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It worries me also. I am going back for my third Camino next year (P0rtugal). And today I read about the "Way of St Francis" in Italy. There goes 2017. Is there no end to this.

Is this sad?
Not really, wish you more great Camino's in the future.
Wish you all the best, Peter.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It worries me also. I am going back for my third Camino next year (P0rtugal). And today I read about the "Way of St Francis" in Italy. There goes 2017. Is there no end to this.
I will do also my third next year ,the Camino Portugues in September.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hmmmm, well, not looked at the forum since my OP, thanks for your replies.
Life somehow got in the way - my wife taken ill and spent the whole of Xmas in hospital - obviously took my thoughts away from future caminos......and as soon as she came home I was into eye casualty myself with possible detached retina.
C'est la vie.......
This year's walking a non-event, methinks.

So sorry to hear that! Hope and pray that you and your wife are recovering quickly! Buen Camino (even if it is next year), SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hmmmm, well, not looked at the forum since my OP, thanks for your replies.
Life somehow got in the way - my wife taken ill and spent the whole of Xmas in hospital - obviously took my thoughts away from future caminos......and as soon as she came home I was into eye casualty myself with possible detached retina.
C'est la vie.......
This year's walking a non-event, methinks.
Take care and wish you both a quick recovery , Peter.

Thanks, guys. The OH is better, but still awaiting further hospital treatment.
My eye is much the same - no treatment unless it gets worse - at present it's restricting the things I do in my spare time, which tend to be micro making stuff.
But, could be a lot worse. And I can still walk, so camino plans are back on the front burner!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.