• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Why I have been away...

Diogo92

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
C. Português 2013, 2014
C. de Fátima 2014
C. do Salnés 2015
Some people, especially those from the Caminho Português part of the Forum, have been asking why I have been so “off” from the Forum lately. And I think that I have to give a proper response to that, since I know that I had the privilege to meet wonderful people, that although some of them I do not know personally (yet!), I know the bonds that we share will last a life.

One could say that it all started on April 12 last year, when I adopted my dog Olivia. And how can a dog change a life from one person? Well, Olivia it’s kind of a special dog which has some needs, mostly love needs, but also exercises needs. We had to change our life at home, since we are only two, and this it’s a “project” that we both decided to make, under any circumstance. Dogs change your life in ways that you don’t understand, untill you have them. They take time and effort for training and exercise every day.

10329238_1400073966945473_8208669025054250550_n.jpg

I already had other dogs in my life, but none has Olivia. Mostly because, Olivia arrived to our home already being 8 years old and lived 5 years in an animal shelter in Lisbon, before we rescued her. All the other dogs that I previously had come to my place either born some weeks earlier or they were very young (1 to 2 years old). I’m very happy to have Olivia with me. She’s a very good company (both at home, and in the outdoors), and it’s a living proof that love can really surpass anything in life. It’s wonderful to see that dog on its walks, totally happy for moving her legs.

10390231_1418332495119620_2314115061495842604_n.jpg

Has two or three from you know, I was diagnosed on late September, with a Retinal Detachment on my left eye, due to a car accident that I had in past July. I was very lucky to not going blind on my left eye, since the retina stabilized during those 2 months. It was detected during a normal ophthalmologist appointment, and I’m very thankful for that.

During the post-surgery time, I ended up staying lying/sitting with my face down, during almost two weeks. It was an exercise of patience, and it allowed me also to think about something’s in my life. I finally got out to the conclusion that, I was in part, a fony. Simply because, I spent the majority of my time at home, sitting in front of a computer, reading articles about living outdoors, trekking/hiking, and getting into discussions about travels that I would never do. And so, during that time, I’ve decided to change my life.

I’ve decided to be more active, and spend more time offline, than online. I’ve decided to walk every day in the woods that surround me, to learn the basics from living outdoors, and give my natural spirit a second chance. And with this, it comes some sacrifices. No more computer at home (at least, not spending too much time on it); no more big 2,3,4,5 or more years projects, that I sure know that I will never do; and for some time, no more Camiños.

The Camino Salnés, this year, will be some sort of the culmination of a turning point of my life. It will be my last Camino for some time.

The Camiño has become part of my life since 2012, when I started to prepare for my first, in 2013. And, after a lot of talking, walking, reading, discussing, etc, I understood that I’ve always been on the Camiño, and that the decision that I took, won’t take me away from it. I will still find my ways to help people, either with the (now) small participation in this Forum, either via the Associations with which I keep in touch every month.

I would like for those who read this message, to understand that I hadn’t lost my faith, or that I’m broken out for some reason. Not that at all. I’m happy right now; I have the love of a wonderful dog, family, good job, and some good health. I’m simply starting to take the credit and lesson from my Camiños, understanding that the Camiño it’s really a metaphor for life. If you go slowly and light packed, you will have time for everything, and enjoy all of it. If you go fast and heavy packed, you will burn your life, without knowing how is to stop and smell that flower, and in your final moments, very few memories of enjoyment will pass in front of you.

I would like to thank you all that have read my posts, have talked and interacted with me, and to those I’ve created the bonds that I’ve talked on the paragraph from this text. Albert, Laurie, Stephen and Tony, those are friends that I will never forget for the rest of my life, and if God will, we will manage to have a very good Camiño dinner someday.

This it’s not a good bye note, at all. It’s more a “See you in five” note. I will not delete my account. Has I’ve said, I count with come to here, to check out things every once in a while.

Because, has my signature goes, “Life is a journey, not a destination”.

Bon Camiño for you all and May God bless you all!
Diogo

935518_569840229713020_548204967_n.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
......I’m simply starting to take the credit and lesson from my Camiños, understanding that the Camiño it’s really a metaphor for life. If you go slowly and light packed, you will have time for everything, and enjoy all of it. If you go fast and heavy packed, you will burn your life, without knowing how is to stop and smell that flower, and in your final moments, very few memories of enjoyment will pass in front of you........This it’s not a good bye note, at all. It’s more a “See you in five” note.
View attachment 15768

What a wonderful comment and sentiment.....

....and, Diogo, I look forward to seeing you in five!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Some people, especially those from the Caminho Português part of the Forum, have been asking why I have been so “off” from the Forum lately. And I think that I have to give a proper response to that, since I know that I had the privilege to meet wonderful people, that although some of them I do not know personally (yet!), I know the bonds that we share will last a life.

One could say that it all started on April 12 last year, when I adopted my dog Olivia. And how can a dog change a life from one person? Well, Olivia it’s kind of a special dog which has some needs, mostly love needs, but also exercises needs. We had to change our life at home, since we are only two, and this it’s a “project” that we both decided to make, under any circumstance. Dogs change your life in ways that you don’t understand, untill you have them. They take time and effort for training and exercise every day.

I already had other dogs in my life, but none has Olivia. Mostly because, Olivia arrived to our home already being 8 years old and lived 5 years in an animal shelter in Lisbon, before we rescued her. All the other dogs that I previously had come to my place either born some weeks earlier or they were very young (1 to 2 years old). I’m very happy to have Olivia with me. She’s a very good company (both at home, and in the outdoors), and it’s a living proof that love can really surpass anything in life. It’s wonderful to see that dog on its walks, totally happy for moving her legs.

Has two or three from you know, I was diagnosed on late September, with a Retinal Detachment on my left eye, due to a car accident that I had in past July. I was very lucky to not going blind on my left eye, since the retina stabilized during those 2 months. It was detected during a normal ophthalmologist appointment, and I’m very thankful for that.

During the post-surgery time, I ended up staying lying/sitting with my face down, during almost two weeks. It was an exercise of patience, and it allowed me also to think about something’s in my life. I finally got out to the conclusion that, I was in part, a fony. Simply because, I spent the majority of my time at home, sitting in front of a computer, reading articles about living outdoors, trekking/hiking, and getting into discussions about travels that I would never do. And so, during that time, I’ve decided to change my life.

I’ve decided to be more active, and spend more time offline, than online. I’ve decided to walk every day in the woods that surround me, to learn the basics from living outdoors, and give my natural spirit a second chance. And with this, it comes some sacrifices. No more computer at home (at least, not spending too much time on it); no more big 2,3,4,5 or more years projects, that I sure know that I will never do; and for some time, no more Camiños.

The Camino Salnés, this year, will be some sort of the culmination of a turning point of my life. It will be my last Camino for some time.

The Camiño has become part of my life since 2012, when I started to prepare for my first, in 2013. And, after a lot of talking, walking, reading, discussing, etc, I understood that I’ve always been on the Camiño, and that the decision that I took, won’t take me away from it. I will still find my ways to help people, either with the (now) small participation in this Forum, either via the Associations with which I keep in touch every month.

I would like for those who read this message, to understand that I hadn’t lost my faith, or that I’m broken out for some reason. Not that at all. I’m happy right now; I have the love of a wonderful dog, family, good job, and some good health. I’m simply starting to take the credit and lesson from my Camiños, understanding that the Camiño it’s really a metaphor for life. If you go slowly and light packed, you will have time for everything, and enjoy all of it. If you go fast and heavy packed, you will burn your life, without knowing how is to stop and smell that flower, and in your final moments, very few memories of enjoyment will pass in front of you.

I would like to thank you all that have read my posts, have talked and interacted with me, and to those I’ve created the bonds that I’ve talked on the paragraph from this text. Albert, Laurie, Stephen and Tony, those are friends that I will never forget for the rest of my life, and if God will, we will manage to have a very good Camiño dinner someday.

This it’s not a good bye note, at all. It’s more a “See you in five” note. I will not delete my account. Has I’ve said, I count with come to here, to check out things every once in a while.

Diogo

View attachment 15768
Favoloso, Diogo - happy to hear from you in detail, photo.JPG
and to get a sense of that you really listen within and follow that particular river. - Well done! Or should I say: Well Being!
Every good wish to you and most likely, our path will cross again .... on the camino of life.
Saluti, Claudia
(PS: the attached image shows the first violet of the year which i found today in the garden, marvelously fragrant! Sending the beauty along your way!)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Diogo,

I am new to the forum, so had never known about you.

But after reading your post, and yes, I am a dog lover which is probably why I read all the way through, what I am thinking is that if the Internet has a truly positive side to it, it's to read a post like yours: a post about Olivia, her past life and her new life - a post about how a man can change another sentient being's life - a post about new starts in life.

Thank you for all of what you shared, all that I have taken in from your post. And may this World we live in continue to bring you such experiences and insights, because you make us richer when you share them.

Amigo querido. Muito muito obrigado para tudo. Eu sabia a historia de você ja .
Para a gente ficará amigos para sempre.
No futuro encontraremos-nós em Portugal uma vez.
E talvez poderemos encontrar-nós na Holanda ?

A gente desea-lhe tudo de bem mas ao mesmo tempo não é uma despedida.

Beijos e um abraço deste lado

Nel e Albert

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, Diogo,
Hard to find the right words to react, but thank you for posting this very personal post. You don't owe us an explanation, of course, but I appreciate the generous sharing of your very private thoughts.

If you happen to check in to the forum before April, I will be in Lisbon during the first week in May and another few pasteis de nata would be wonderful! I'll post a note on the forum later, and I don't want to hijack this thread, just wanted to alert you on your next visit to the forum.

Wishing you a bom caminho in whatever way your journey takes you, amigo. Laurie

Thanks for the explanation that was not really need Diogo. But it is nice to know all is well (sounds like better than well). Sometimes members kind of disappear and one wonders why, wonders if everything is OK with them. It reflects on you that you take the time to think of your friends here. May you and Olivia enjoy your companionship.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Diogo

View attachment 15768
Wonderful read .From one dog rescuer to another.

From one dog rescuer to another.

In 1961 (I was 13 years old) rescued a young blackdog FOXY (1 years old) from garbage belt. After 1 year a stranger killed Foxy with poison meat.
That's I only can say; Love The One You're With.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Diogo -
Thank you so very much for your wonderful story and for sharing Olivia with us through your beautiful words and photos. The unconditional love of a dog is like nothing else in the world and the love you receive from a rescue dog is something that's uniquely special.
Take joy in every step with your precious girl walking alongside you. We look forward to seeing you on the Forum when you check in.
Buen Camino Diogo and cheers to you -
Jenny

Take care @Diogo92 and see you around. I also am most active on the forum when the camino is far away. When I'm into preparation and actually doing things there is not much time to linger longa!

My friend Diogo!
What a lovely forum comment!
I absolutely love dogs: maybe one day I'll even meet Olivia :). I've had a few 'rescued' dogs in the past and know what loving creatures they can be.
It's important in life to enjoy the company of those you love - animal or human - and maintain the happy relationship.
At the moment much of your time will be with Olivia .... but, my friend, you have already been bitten by the camino bug: it won't go away! And maybe one day you'll be able to bring Olivia on a camino as well. I met this peregrino on my first camino in 2011, on top of the mountain pass as you leave Porto ....

P1090252.JPG

travelling with her master and heading for the Italian camino.
We certainly won't forget you or Olivia: join us as often as you can ..... as the other guys have said, "see you in five...."
Blessings from cold [minus 2 degrees] England.
Your friend ....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have benefitted from your knowledge of the Portugese Camino and I want to thank you for that. Also thank you for sharing your and Olivias story, it was very touching and Olivia is a lucky dog to have a person like you in her life.
All the best to you and Olivia, see you in five.

Best wishes

Diogo92, what a marvellous post - thank you.

To me the story of the Good Samaritan is fundamental, a true teaching on how to live our lives. The story ends, as you will know, with Jesus asking
Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?and the expert in the law replying, “The one who had mercy on him.”
Jesus then commands him (and therefore, us), “
Then go, Ye, and do likewise.

It isn't just humans we are commanded to help - your rescue of that adult dog ... well .... you went "and did likewise"

Bless you

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Rescuing an adult dog is a special kind of love and give us incomparable blessings.
Lovely post. No explanation needed for being 'absent" from the forum - as far as I know, no one is taking attendance. Drop by whenever and know that we will all be joyful when/if you decide to return in full force!
Buen Camino

Most precious picture of you two hugging! And like what you posted.. I rescued my little doggie, too, and end of Aug. '14 on the Camino had retinal detachment.. How is your eye?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
When I was 17 I was in an eye hospital for an operation. Around me two recovering from surgery for detached retinas. They had to lie still, flat on their backs wearing pin hole spectacles for two weeks or more. They were bored to tears. I felt really sorry for them. My sympathy for what you are going through and glad things are improving. Eyesight is such a precious thing. I value it especially as I have always been a cyclops.

See you in five, Diogo! Or on the camino somewhere....

When I was 17 I was in an eye hospital for an operation. Around me two recovering from surgery for detached retinas. They had to lie still, flat on their backs wearing pin hole spectacles for two weeks or more. They were bored to tears. I felt really sorry for them. My sympathy for what you are going through and glad things are improving. Eyesight is such a precious thing. I value it especially as I have always been a cyclops.
I was fortunate that way -- had to sleep upright for 3 weeks and could only turn my head to one direction when sleeping. Eye still not quite right, but hoping in time it'll improve. Yet Pamplona was an excellent city to recover in! Best espressos ever! I cannot get it out of my head the wonderous time on my Camino. Though 8 days going into it and from Sarria, 8 days ending it and 5 weeks in between in recovery, it still is my fondest adventure/spiritual experience with countless miracles/blessings each day. I long to return and walk the parts I missed.

I pray you recover completely and return Dreamwalker.
Thank you! I do believe!!! (I will return and my eye will prove or at least I'll get used to it)! But I sure pray my knee will cooperate! Basically resting it and MRI/X-ray show no evidence of trouble with bone tendon, etc., yet it can really ache -->ever since descent after 'Hill of Forgiveness'. Not complaining, just explaining. It better get better, dang it! Much more enjoyable walking without pain, but will do it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For two weeks, I was always looking down, has if I was sad, or grounded. But now, it's all ok. I've lost part of my eyesight, but at least I didn't went blind!

Hope the best for you @Dreamwalker33 !
I'm sorry about your loss of vision! My Dr. Said 6 months to a year for complete healing. (My surgery was end of August and again end of September). ~This post reminded me of our waiter at Don Merito in Pamplona on my 62nd birthday last September.. He inquired about my eye. I told him of my eye surgery and he wished me well and told me that he had lost 70% of his vision when he was a young boy. Knowing my prognosis, I was again reminded of my blessings and humbled. And prayers were answered to get my depth perception back in time so we could continue on our Camino before our flight home.
You are so right on when you say "walk slowly, lightly pack"! Smell the roses, make memories. I'm glad to have met you and wish you the best!

I'm sorry about your loss of vision! My Dr. Said 6 months to a year for complete healing. (My surgery was end of August and again end of September). ~This post reminded me of our waiter at Don Merito in Pamplona on my 62nd birthday last September.. He inquired about my eye. I told him of my eye surgery and he wished me well and told me that he had lost 70% of his vision when he was a young boy. Knowing my prognosis, I was again reminded of my blessings and humbled. And prayers were answered to get my depth perception back in time so we could continue on our Camino before our flight home.
You are so right on when you say "walk slowly, lightly pack"! Smell the roses, make memories. I'm glad to have met you and wish you the best!

I still don't know how much I've lost. I had my surgery on late October (23rd), and I'm going to the eye doctor every 2 months. I now see more blurry from the left eye (it's also were I have my myopia), but my right eye compensates it (I wear glasses). I have noticed some improvement, but not so much has that. Only time will tell. Heads up, and keep walking with a smile on the face :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I still don't know how much I've lost. I had my surgery on late October (23rd), and I'm going to the eye doctor every 2 months. I now see more blurry from the left eye (it's also were I have my myopia), but my right eye compensates it (I wear glasses). I have noticed some improvement, but not so much has that. Only time will tell. Heads up, and keep walking with a smile on the face :D
I keep reminding myself to keep my head up when walking, besides, looking down vision isn't quite clear anyway! Lol ~ Looking through my "bad" eye is still blurry, like a frosted glass and I get a strob light effect most days. My daughter has had both eyes operated on due to retina detachment, and experiences this still, after 5 years, along with the achiness. But she said, like my Dr., takes about a year to fully heal and also for the brain to adapt. My problem is my operated eye with corrective lens is so much better than the other eye that things appear a kilter and it affects me like I'm on a rolling ship. Oh well. I'll get a grip soon, I'm sure. Will again get new lenses in the months ahead. I will keep walking and smiling! You, too!

Depth perception? Not sure what that is. All the physics I have been taught tell me I cannot have it, yet I have played many sports, including ball sports and Karate in my life. So I must have it somehow. Still it always gives me an excuse if I am ever clumsy. (Well apart from when I am clumsy with my speech - I need another excuse for that).

Depth perception? Not sure what that is. All the physics I have been taught tell me I cannot have it, yet I have played many sports, including ball sports and Karate in my life. So I must have it somehow. Still it always gives me an excuse if I am ever clumsy. (Well apart from when I am clumsy with my speech - I need another excuse for that).

I think the gas bubble that was put in my eye after my own fluid was drained, made it impossible to see depth (well, see at all until the gas bubble started to dissapate). So I couldn't see steps or bumps/ruts/dips on the ground. I literally had to hold onto my husband for about 3-4 weeks when walking.
My Dr said no Camino for me, but 10 days before I got the okay to travel, my Dr stopped the eye drops that dilated my eye, and 5 days prior to us leaving I could start to see depth. This meant I could continue the Camino!
In Santiago, one of the ladies inside the Official Pilgram's Office asked me why I was crying, was I OK? I answered, Yes - these are tears of joy! My prayers were all answered. After everything I had been through, I stood there getting my Certificate with involuntary tears of pure happiness and joy, and with my husband, who initially did not want to walk this walk, but did and turned out that I couldn't have done it without him - nor did I want to.. Such wonderful memories!
Now you see my clumsiness in speech and getting off the track. But, ya.. I suppose I have an excuse.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I did the CF in 2022 and found the planning quite easy as there were albergues all the way so yiu can walk as much or as little as you please and there is always somewhere to stay. I...
Hello pilgrims, I have unfortunately hurt my knee(s) on the second day of walking from Porto. I pushed through some more kilometers, but I had to take a break in Marinhas. I tried everything to...
I have a new copy of the guide to Camino Portuguese by Kat (I think) XX. My question is: is there anyone who is going to Lisbon/ Porto who could pop it in the Albergue municipal/ or use it and...
Barcelos was having a huge May 1 celebration when we passed through. There was a major unveiling of a sculpture titled Peregrina the following day—very big event. We weren’t there, so I lifted a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back