• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wifi Speed??

Mustangx3

Traveling the world
Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
Greetings all. I apologize if my question was answered somewhere but I searched and didn’t find it.
Basically I’m looking for Wifi speeds I can expect on the Frances route.
Plan is to be able to upload photos and videos to a cloud service so I won’t loose any by accident and so I don’t need to carry terabytes of storage.
Are wifi speeds fast enough for quick uploads to the cloud (like around 10 mbps at least)?
Thanks in advance!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Greetings all. I apologize if my question was answered somewhere but I searched and didn’t find it.
Basically I’m looking for Wifi speeds I can expect on the Frances route.
Plan is to be able to upload photos and videos to a cloud service so I won’t loose any by accident and so I don’t need to carry terabytes of storage.
Are wifi speeds fast enough for quick uploads to the cloud (like around 10 mbps at least)?
Thanks in advance!
Our photos upload to Google drive storage and we have not had difficulties. We don't take hundreds of photos though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The short answer is that you will find internet speeds to be "adequate." Sometimes they will be quite fast. Sometimes they will be agonizingly slow.

If you are trying to upload 10s of MBs regularly, try to only use the higher speeds you will find at hotels, etc.

Many places along most of the Camino routes have some sort of Wi-Fi. But, frequently, it is not the highest speed available.

Please, try to temper your expectations. Remember, this is a pilgrimage. Many of your fellow pilgrims will have turned off of left home their devices to enhance the Camino experience.

This does NOT mean that people will take notice of, or say anything about your techno-Camino. There is a basic precept that says that each pilgrim is entitled to walk his or her own Camino - in the manner they choose. None of us has the right or the standing to tell you otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Our experience a few years ago was that wifi speeds in albergues varied enormously. You can have better luck at hotels, but not always. My son was flabbergasted at the poor wifi in our room at the parador in Santiago, after I had touted it as a luxury splurge. In albergue where wifi is provided you are generally sharing the Internet connection with all of the other pilgrims using the wifi, so that can affect things, too.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I streamed live from the free WiFi available in some squares. Spain is not a third world country ... I had better internet and mobile service there than I get when I go to the US.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, I’m starting my Camino Frances on May 12. I’ve booked my first night in SJPDP, but I’m starting to worry I need to book more. My plan was to take it day by day and just turn up, but lots...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.
Does anyone have a favorite place to stay in arzua? Thanks for any suggestions!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.