• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Will a Spanish SIM card work in an original iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anne100

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte, Sept.-Nov. (2013)
Or am I going to have to upgrade?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it is GSM, takes SIM chips, and is unlocked, yes, it will accept a Spanish SIM card.

I took my old unlocked iPhone. I had AT&T and with them, if the phone is over 2 years old, they unlock it for free. The Spanish SIM worked fine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I just walked CF in June with unlocked Verizon iPhone 4S using Vodafone SIM purchased in Pamplona. Worked great.

Be aware if you have your phone unlocked by outside sources, it will invalid your warrantee.

I don't think I'd want an iPhone on the Camino (I feel the desire to unplug), but would take a very basic phone for calling ahead to pensions or calling 112. Just because I wouldn't take an iPhone, don't let that dictate what you take. I would take an iPod Touch as my means of communicating with home (Facebook, Face Time, Twitter, etc) and interfacing with a cloud photo storage site (I'm thinking Eye-Fi, as it's unlimited storage for like $50.00).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don't think I'd want an iPhone on the Camino (I feel the desire to unplug), but would take a very basic phone for calling ahead to pensions or calling 112. Just because I wouldn't take an iPhone, don't let that dictate what you take. I would take an iPod Touch as my means of communicating with home (Facebook, Face Time, Twitter, etc) and interfacing with a cloud photo storage site (I'm thinking Eye-Fi, as it's unlimited storage for like $50.00).

What is your definition of unplugged? Taking an iPod Touch and taking a basic cell phone is being unplugged? Being unplugged means being disconnected from the world from electronic gadgets, and being unreachable.

Well, I thought about bringing a netbook or a ChromeBook. However, that would be too much to worry about. So, the iPod Touch was a compromise. I also had the thought of taking a flash drive and a memory card reader...

Well, I thought about bringing a netbook or a ChromeBook. However, that would be too much to worry about. So, the iPod Touch was a compromise. I also had the thought of taking a flash drive and a memory card reader...

It might make sence to take a small and reasonably priced multi-function device that does everything you need, such as an android smart phone. I use mine primarily as a camera and also for GPS should the need arise.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had considered taking my Galaxy S3, but the exorbitantly high rates for data that I would be charged just didn't make any sense. I reasoned that the iPod Touch would be good as it can only be used on WiFi and I can get the Divine Office on a daily basis.

I had considered taking my Galaxy S3, but the exorbitantly high rates for data that I would be charged just didn't make any sense. I reasoned that the iPod Touch would be good as it can only be used on WiFi and I can get the Divine Office on a daily basis.

You can still take your Galaxy S3, just have you phone carrier unlock it for you, that way you could purchase a local SIM card with data and be able to use what you are already familiar with, why spend extra money on an iPod touch when what you already own will do the same?
Swapping out SIM cards in a Galaxy S3 is simple, if you can change the battery, you can swap out a SIM card.

The Galaxy S3 cannot use iTunes, and that's how I would download the Divine Office and other podcasts

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The Galaxy S3 cannot use iTunes, and that's how I would download the Divine Office and other podcasts

Just curious, what phone carrier do you currently use?
An unlocked iPhone with a local SIM with data would be ideal to use, it beats having to carry a locally bought phone and an iPod touch. You can still get your podcasts from iTunes and can use it as a phone as well.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.