• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wineries on CF

rossmckay

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
I'm a wine scholar (sounds so pretentious I know but a fact) and I'm looking for any resources on wineries accessible from the CF route.

I have a couple of Iberian Peninsular wine region maps and I'm pretty familiar with the wines themselves so that's no problem, I'm specifically after winery and bodega information.

Thanks to you all and this resource is a ripper.

Cheers

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a winery/bodega at Villamayor de Monjardin. You walk on the edge of their vineyards climbing up to the village. Similarly the land near Cacabellos and Villamayor de Bierzo is rich with vines and vineyards which the CF crosses. (Click the highlighted names for more info re individual bodegas)
(For many more bodegas say near Logrono search on Google maps Logrono, bodegas)

Last edited:
We visited four bodegas on our Camino. An interesting note: Unlike our typical American winery where you can taste the range of wines all in one go, we typically were only offered one or sometimes two wines to taste. On the flip side, each tasting tended to come with a tapas.
We visited a couple in Rioja and then two just after Ponferrada.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The terroirs of the Camino Frances are truly fascinating. As you walk you will note that the soil changes a lot along the CF. Some places will be predominately clay (nasty when wet), chalky (as you approach the Meseta). The micro-climates of the plains and mountainous areas of Leon and Galicia are also intriguing.

As you walk pay close attention to how the vinateros manage their respective vines. I found that the Spanish farmers use a variety of management structures. There is a lot of sun particularly in Rioja so canopies are not pruned as aggressively as in upstate New York.

On the Camino itself you will actually encounter Bodegas Irache just outside of Lorca and Bodegas Jacobo outside of Navarette. Both are in the Rioja Baja area. The grapes there are the tempranillo and garnacha. If you are walking in mid to late September as I did, the fruit is there for the picking.

In Cacabelos, stay at the Hotel Moncloa. It is a family run hotel. They have their own vineyards as well. They grow the Mencia grape, which is excellent. Outside of Cacabelos you will climb up a long hill. There are Bodegas outside of town. As you divert to the right in Pieros you will walk down to Villafranca del Bierzo. There will be rows and rows of vines.

You can always make arrangements to visit the various bodegas by calling ahead. I found the vinateros to be very happy to discuss their grapes, cultivation techniques, micro climates, etc. My Spanish was really challenged in some instances so I hope you speak better Spanish than I. Nevertheless, they were very happy to accommodate a pilgrim.

While in Galicia I became very partial to the Albarino grape. There is just so much to take in on the Camino.

Have a "grape time" John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bodega Tandem in Navarra, between Uterga and Villatuerta. It's literally on the Camino. Met one of the owners last summer while walking the Camino and spoke with him a while. Really cool guy.
http://www.tandem.es/

The terroirs of the Camino Frances are truly fascinating. As you walk you will note that the soil changes a lot along the CF. Some places will be predominately clay (nasty when wet), chalky (as you approach the Meseta). The micro-climates of the plains and mountainous areas of Leon and Galicia are also intriguing.

As you walk pay close attention to how the vinateros manage their respective vines. I found that the Spanish farmers use a variety of management structures. There is a lot of sun particularly in Rioja so canopies are not pruned as aggressively as in upstate New York.

On the Camino itself you will actually encounter Bodegas Irache just outside of Lorca and Bodegas Jacobo outside of Navarette. Both are in the Rioja Baja area. The grapes there are the tempranillo and garnacha. If you are walking in mid to late September as I did, the fruit is there for the picking.

In Cacabelos, stay at the Hotel Moncloa. It is a family run hotel. They have their own vineyards as well. They grow the Mencia grape, which is excellent. Outside of Cacabelos you will climb up a long hill. There are Bodegas outside of town. As you divert to the right in Pieros you will walk down to Villafranca del Bierzo. There will be rows and rows of vines.

You can always make arrangements to visit the various bodegas by calling ahead. I found the vinateros to be very happy to discuss their grapes, cultivation techniques, micro climates, etc. My Spanish was really challenged in some instances so I hope you speak better Spanish than I. Nevertheless, they were very happy to accommodate a pilgrim.

While in Galicia I became very partial to the Albarino grape. There is just so much to take in on the Camino.

Have a "grape time" John
Wow, what a compilation of bodegas info!!!

But there's one mistake. Bodegas Irache is just after Estella, not Lorca :)

That you all. There are some names there that I'm familiar with (Martin Codax, my first Albarino ever and a Descendientes de Palacios is one of my most extravagant auction purchases) and some I have never encountered. All are gratefully received.

A Camino wine pilgrimage might be a great honours subject.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
...A Camino wine pilgrimage might be a great honours subject.

Indeed it would be! If with time you decide to walk another terroir such as Champagne do plan to stop at our farm where a pilgrim shell hangs at the door marking the path!
Bon chemin and Buen camino!

Last edited:
Indeed it would be! If with time you decide to walk another terroir such as Champagne do plan to stop at our farm where a pilgrim shell hangs at the door marking the path!

Wow, that would be most special and 2017-18 I'll take you up on that. All things being equal

Hi mspath and all.
We brought a ruin in Mazeray, Charente Maritime(edit) area of France a couple years ago which had shells fixed above the door, at the time we thought it was decoration from the previous dweller (40 years ago) but now as we are about 100metres from the pilgrims way. NowI am thinking this house may have been a stop for pilgrims.

My wife(CofE priest) and I have considered opening the garden to campers wanting a nights rest.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for everyone's responses. I've been able to get motivated enough to walk upstairs and drag out a map I have.

Regions as previously noted
Navarra - Valdizarbe (14) & Tierra Estrella (13) - http://www.tandem.es/, Villamayor de Monjardin
Rioja - Alta & Alavesa - Bodegas Irache, Bodegas Jacobo, http://www.bodegasalvia.com/en/ (all up heaps)
Arlanza - almost but 18 around Burgos
Tierra de Leon - http://bodegasjuliocrespo.com, www.bodegasvinosdeleon.es (36 all up)
Bierzo - 74 all up
Valdeorras - 46 all up
Ribeira Sacra - 94 all up
Rias Baixas - Ribeira do Ulla & val do saines if going to the sea (not many)

So all up close to 400 in the DO that the camino go through. Some of them will be too far away, some won't have tasting facilities and/or are closed to visitors. A lot more work to do yet but thanks again for any tips on who to visit

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back