• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter Camino to Santiago- Which one ? (CdN)

JimG59

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese (Lisbon) 23, Camino del Norte 24
Hello,

Our intention to walk the Camino Del Norte in April/May has been thwarted when our son and daughter in law announced that we are going to be first time grandparents in mid April, all being well. We are delighted at the news and look forward to this special time.

We soon and quietly realised that our April / May CdN is not happening as we had intended. Rather than leave our next Camino until Sept 2024, we have thought about walking February to mid March 2024.

Any reason we should not continue our plan for CdN in Feb/Mar or indeed any other Camino at this time ? I would imagine that all our backpack contents for September/ October/ November Caminos would be the same.

I had thought about the Camino Via de Plata from Seville, but was discouraged at the possibility of traversing a mountain range in the snow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not sure if traversing a mountain range in the snow is the wisest thing to do, but if and when the opportunity arises, you might as well take the bus.

Happy Grandparenting!

I had thought about the Camino Via de Plata from Seville, but was discouraged at the possibility of traversing a mountain range in the snow.
Probably not the Primitivo, the Sanabres or the Frances then. Snow a distinct possibility on the higher parts of those routes. Sticking lower down and closer to the coast might be a better move to avoid snow. The Portugues - either inland or coastal? The Ingles? Maybe adding on a walk to Fisterra or Muxia if that is shorter than you aim for?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Probably not the Primitivo, the Sanabres or the Frances then. Snow a distinct possibility on the higher parts of those routes. Sticking lower down and closer to the coast might be a better move to avoid snow. The Portugues - either inland or coastal? The Ingles? Maybe adding on a walk to Fisterra or Muxia if that is shorter than you aim for?
I did the CP from Lisbon this April and been to Fisterra/ Muxia on my last two Caminos. I think it still might be the CdN or start in Madrid to SdC.

I did the CP from Lisbon this April and been to Fisterra/ Muxia on my last two Caminos. I think it still might be the CdN or start in Madrid to SdC.
Just a note that on the Camino de Madrid between Madrid and Segovia is the pass of Fuenfria, the highest point on any Camino in Iberia. I'm not sure what it is like in winter as I climbed it in June. If you were to start in Segovia, you wouldn't have to deal with the mountains.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Our intention to walk the Camino Del Norte in April/May has been thwarted when our son and daughter in law announced that we are going to be first time grandparents in mid April, all being well. We are delighted at the news and look forward to this special time.

Take the chances, clear off and walk before the tsunami change of the bestest grandchild in the world lands on your doorstep! Take your pick. just be sure to be home in time..

What snowy mountain range are you thinking of, on the Vía de la Plata from Seville?
The pass on the provincial border near Padornelo is pretty high (1350m?). And the mountain ridge between A Gudiña and Laza is quite high and very exposed. I've been caught in a white-out near A Gudiña while walking in January.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Via de la Plata / Sanabrés starting from Sevilla in early February of 2019. Weather was perfect - single digits in the mornings and 10 - 15 C later in the day. No issues with snow that year although one day started with a flurry. Very little rain, but occasional wet conditions with water flowing down some of the trails in Galicia. Overall, I found it to be a good time of the year to walk. For what it's worth, I'll be starting the Levante this coming February on the 10th.

Most read last week in this forum

In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.