• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter CF 2018 Photos and a Merry Christmas

Darby67

Enólogo caminando
Time of past OR future Camino
2018 CF Jan-Feb
2019 CF Jan-Mar
Christmas Eve. I’m spending a lovely day with family. Yet I’m a bit on edge.

Every time I escape for some alone time I get drawn into looking blogs and photos people have posted about their journey. While each story is individual, it is really fun to see some of the photos of particular spots that people found special enough to capture. The graffiti or other messages along the camino are fun to see the connections we made to them but the connections to the structures or valleys or mountains or trees often from the same spots is something that continues to resonate with me. Seeing some of these places in their daily ‘lives’ as seen by pilgrims throughout the year is incredibly special; a blanket thank you to all of those that have shared and continue to share.

This time of year is hardest time of year for me as I am sure many can relate. My ideal selfish fantasy Christmas would have been to flee and walk. Getting to live vicariously through others stories and photos helps feed my hunger but it also gets my mind grinding on a packing list!

So without further fanfare, I’m going to share: ~4000 culled to a bit over 1750. A ton of photos. Too many. But perhaps not enough. The formatting of the photos isn’t great for viewing on phones so I recommend something larger, but it get’s the job done. Thank you for taking the time to take a peek.

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/ef90f2b50c4a4cb99a9458e720539960

Merry Christmas to you all!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Darby, I am excited to look at your photos...after Christmas! I too, take approx. 4000 photos in 6 weeks on a Camino and can usually reduce to under 2000 after I get back home, but it's really hard to choose which ones to eliminate! And when showing them to any "interested" family or friends I painstaking edit further, but 800 seems to be as low as I can go as I love them all!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Darby, I am excited to look at your photos...after Christmas! I too, take approx. 4000 photos in 6 weeks on a Camino and can usually reduce to under 2000 after I get back home, but it's really hard to choose which ones to eliminate! And when showing them to any "interested" family or friends I painstaking edit further, but 800 seems to be as low as I can go as I love them all!
Thank you for your response! The cull is the most challenging part for me. A lot of culling took place on the journey to get to the 4000 number. The choice of removing something that really had meaning at the time is really an excercise in futility at times! Heck it took me 6 months to even begin the organization and the impending post-camino cull...that’s how much I wanted to avoid it!

The showing is the hardest part. I have about 50 photos that I punish the family/friends with. Another 30 waiting in the wings if they show a sign of interest.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Darby thanks for sharing, not as much snow as I expected but I guess the elevation is not so high.
I have to say I don’t take that many photos, only about 500 or so.
I imagine there could be a lot of snow in several of the portions with the right weather. Walking through snow reminds me of tracking game in Washington state with my grandfather as a child. Great memories. In fact I went back to walk some of the mountain stages in reverse but 2 weeks later all the snow was gone...beautiful but not the same so I stopped after O Cebreiro -> Villafranca del Bierzo. Beautiful but not the same.

I just took a quick look at the first 20 or so...now just need time to leisurely view the rest. So far they look excellent..what camera gear are you using?

I just took a quick look at the first 20 or so...now just need time to leisurely view the rest. So far they look excellent..what camera gear are you using?

@jmcarp, thank your for the comment. After much contemplation I chose to not take a DSLR and only relied on an iPhone. Tough internal battle: interesting commentary on the rational and irrational mind engaging in pugilism.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@jmcarp, thank your for the comment. After much contemplation I chose to not take a DSLR and only relied on an iPhone. Tough internal battle: interesting commentary on the rational and irrational mind engaging in pugilism.
I am continually amazed at the quality of photos taken by iPhones and other recent smartphones, especially in the hands of a gifted photographer. Well done, @Darby67.

Every time I escape for some alone time I get drawn into looking blogs and photos people have posted about their journey. While each story is individual, it is really fun to see some of the photos of particular spots that people found special enough to capture. The graffiti or other messages along the camino are fun to see the connections we made to them but the connections to the structures or valleys or mountains or trees often from the same spots is something that continues to resonate with me. Seeing some of these places in their daily ‘lives’ as seen by pilgrims throughout the year is incredibly special; a blanket thank you to all of those that have shared and continue to share.

This time of year is hardest time of year for me as I am sure many can relate. My ideal selfish fantasy Christmas would have been to flee and walk. Getting to live vicariously through others stories and photos helps feed my hunger but it also gets my mind grinding on a packing list!

So without further fanfare, I’m going to share: ~4000 culled to a bit over 1750. A ton of photos. Too many. But perhaps not enough. The formatting of the photos isn’t great for viewing on phones so I recommend something larger, but it get’s the job done. Thank you for taking the time to take a peek.

enjoyed the journey through your images- thank you! henny

€46,-

great eye/excellent photos/thanks for for the virtual walk down memory lane.

@Darby67, I've only looked at your photos until Santo Domingo so far, but they are outstanding! I probably will never walk a winter camino, but your beautiful photos make it look very appealing!

@Darby67, I've only looked at your photos until Santo Domingo so far, but they are outstanding! I probably will never walk a winter camino, but your beautiful photos make it look very appealing!

@Camino Chris, still slugging away at it! Thank you for the comments.

I completely understand the sentiment. I thoroughly enjoy seeing the other seasons but I will likely never choose to walk at any other time but winter!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What were the dates of your trip? and what was your packing list? I would love to take a winter camino!

I enjoyed seeing your photos. During my caminos I often wonder what the scenery looks like in the winter. I especially liked seeing the path up to O'Cebreiro with the foot prints in the snow.

Jamie

€46,-
Beautiful photos! Thank you so much for sharing. And I understand your constant need to view and read the journey of others. This obsession with walking, not as a hobby or holiday, but all the time on Caminos has taken over my life. I live, breathe and eat the trails.

Darby, thank you so much for sharing your photos. I spent 2 1/2 hours and 2 cups of coffee sitting in bed following your Camino. There were some photos where I had vivid memories and others I did’nt remember at all, must have been looking right when you were looking left, all the more reason to do it again!
Feliz Ano Nuevo!!

What were the dates of your trip? and what was your packing list? I would love to take a winter camino!
I started walking on Jan 12 and arrived in SdC on Feb 14th 2018. Then a handful of days to the coast. My packing list really wasn't much different than most peoples throughout the year, just a little heavier layers and gaiters for sure. Merino wool stuff and rain gear, no poncho. All said and done my pack was about 12 kg. And I used poles for the first time...I couldn't imagine having done it without them.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I started walking on Jan 12 and arrived in SdC on Feb 14th 2018. Then a handful of days to the coast. My packing list really wasn't much different than most peoples throughout the year, just a little heavier layers and gaiters for sure. Merino wool stuff and rain gear, no poncho. All said and done my pack was about 12 kg. And I used poles for the first time...I couldn't imagine having done it without them.

I'll do almost the same trip in 2019 as you did then. I'll start walking on Jan 14.

Darby, I cant wait to look at your pics - I will settle in with a glass of wine later tonight when the kids are in bed :)
We, being me, husband and our 9 and 11 year old boys walked March/April this year and are planning to walk again mid December 2019/late Jan 2020.

I hope you don't mind some questions...

The .gif up above.. did you walk that day from Valcarlos (or sjpdp)? If so, what was the road like to walk - did you feel safe? We walked sjpdp to Roncesvalles on one go (not next time) and it started snowing about half way up..

you mentioned gaiters - long (knee high) or short? Are they a must? We have pretty good rain pants.

What shoes did you wear/take? Husband and I had Moabs, the boys had scarpas and didn't get wet at all but never walked IN snow - just on light layers or through tracks of snow from earlier/faster walkers

Like my husband, I see you have in-built face warmer (beard) but would you recommend some sort of face protection/balaclava type covering?

Did you struggle with accommodation and finding a place for coffee :). Where there supermarkets open near albergues to get daily supplies?

Did you cross paths with many other pilgrims?

Any tips you care to share either here of via message would be greatly received.

Darby, I cant wait to look at your pics - I will settle in with a glass of wine later tonight when the kids are in bed :)
We, being me, husband and our 9 and 11 year old boys walked March/April this year and are planning to walk again mid December 2019/late Jan 2020.

I hope you don't mind some questions...

The .gif up above.. did you walk that day from Valcarlos (or sjpdp)? If so, what was the road like to walk - did you feel safe? We walked sjpdp to Roncesvalles on one go (not next time) and it started snowing about half way up..

you mentioned gaiters - long (knee high) or short? Are they a must? We have pretty good rain pants.

What shoes did you wear/take? Husband and I had Moabs, the boys had scarpas and didn't get wet at all but never walked IN snow - just on light layers or through tracks of snow from earlier/faster walkers

Like my husband, I see you have in-built face warmer (beard) but would you recommend some sort of face protection/balaclava type covering?

Did you struggle with accommodation and finding a place for coffee :). Where there supermarkets open near albergues to get daily supplies?

Did you cross paths with many other pilgrims?

Any tips you care to share either here of via message would be greatly received.

I'm not Darby, but I want to give my 2 cents about gaiter and walking through snow anyway. I did a couple of hikes through deep snow (up to 0.5m/almost 2ft) and a Gore-Tex shoe + a knee-high gaiter kept my feet dry the entire time. The gaiter keeps the snow from entering from the top of the shoe (I don't use boots) and also provide some extra warmth.

The same applies for mud, as gaiters are much easier to clean than pants. In case of rain you can put your rain pants on TOP of the gaiters, completely preventing water from entering from the top of the shoe. Pick gaiters that have a good seal where the zipper (if they use one) is.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Gumba

I began in Roncesvalles. I didn’t want to deal with the SJPdP - Roncesvalles stage. The first stage and more importantly MY first stage, I really didn’t want to walk the highway most of the way and the up and down to boot just sounded like I would be working to recover from that first stage for several days. Just a choice that I contemplated and was happy in the end I made.

The gaiters help as Samarkand mentioned but with one other added benefit. On the days where it isn’t snowy or muddy bog, Villafranca Montes de Oca to Ages being a good example, if worn on the outside of your pants it helps to keep your pants presentable for the evening. Some people wear them outside the entire time and happy with that, I’ve had wet feet using that method in the past. Mine are over the calf by RAB. They are not absolutely necessary with solid rain pants, but do help on those occasions of deeper snow or mud. Unless people use them entirely to keep pant bottoms presentable as evening attire! Which was a topic of discussion in the evenings.

One item that I purchased and took but jettisoned in Logroño were some simple rubber slip over boot tire chains doohickies. Simple design for walking on ice. I really could have used them in parts of Leon and Galicia. The warmer midday and cool night got the ice formed just beautifully in the mornings. Slow going and one tumble that thankfully my backpack and shoulder took the brunt of...rather than my head. I was wishing i kept them then. Even with trekking poles it would have been safer and more enjoyable not thinking about breaking my gourd.

I had mid Keens. I did find that the water proof membrane in them was no match at all for the rain in Galicia. Towards the end of a few days my boots had turned into some groovy water fountain show as water was shooting out of the eyes with each step. Funny but not fun. I also found Keens didn’t have a firm enough shank for my feet and that they were pretty much good for one Camino: the tread was bald in several of my normal wear spots. Currently I’ve been trying Oboz, the ugliest bowling shoes in the world, and the shank seems to give my feet better support. Merrels don’t work for my feet. Haven’t tried any of the shoes with narrower lasts. My recommendation is listen to your feet and work to find the footwear that works best for you. I have bad feet, horrible feet. Dropped metatarsals, hallicus rigidus, bone spurs on the top of metatarsal joints, toes that I broke as child that jut off in random directions. Real beauties. For those old enough to remember Steve Martin’s Cruel Shoes, you might get the picture. My wife is terrified of my feet. Toe socks have also been good for me as i get blisters between toes where they don’t articulate with each other well.

A neck gaiter was indispensable for me. Merino wool, but some form of technical fabric would do. In certain areas I pulled it up over my ears like a balaclava. I would probably stick with the same as a balaclava would have really only been useful 1 day for me; the Meseta can be bitter at times in the morning. The neck gaiter has multi purposes! Again, your mileage may vary and you might prefer more coverage. See pictures below for the neck gaiter in action. I think in the future for winter I would replace one of my mid-weight layers with a mid-weight merino turtleneck as the neck gaiter would crawl up my neck at times leaving the tender pasty flesh bare around lower neck...as I said...Meseta cold.

Accomodations, albergues for me, were never an issue in my case. They were all warm enough and ended up only using my sleeping bag a few times. My silk sleeping bag liner was sufficient with some of the thermals. I keep considering taking 2 silk liners and forego the sleeping bag. That could be foolhardy but I tend to sleep warm.

They were always at a distance for me that was doable. The Aprinca list that Lourdes in Fromista maintains is the winter Bible, although not 100% accurate as she relys on the albergues to contact her of their closed dates and sometimes that information isn’t passed. More might be open but they have chosen to not be on the list for one reason or another or other. A few people told me of arriving at one on the list and they had some issues and weren’t taking pilgrims so they had to wander to the next village. Here is the website, you will find it plastered all over this forum and others: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

I carried some high cacao chocolate bars or a few mandarins. Coffee for the most part is pretty easy to find...this is Spain and there are bars! BUT...as some villages are dwindling the bars would not be open in the winter. Argh! Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Belorado, not one bar open. There was a bakery in Grañon that I chose to pass-up for a better offering...mistake. It was really cold and I really really wanted some coffee. Get while the getting is good if you aren’t prepared or willing to forego.

Groceries. I chose to not do much cooking in the albergues. But I did go hunting for provisions of one type or another. Most towns and villages have something. Entering Galicia I was surprised to find less. Sufficient but less. After one particularly long day of wet and soggy walking I finally threw in the towel in Hospital de la Cruz where there was either nothing open or it didn’t exist. With a few squares of chocolate I was just prepared to deal with the hunger until the next day. A few other pilgrims rolled in later in the same conditions, wet and tired but in good spirits. The hospitalera of the Xunta that evening, unsolicited, kindly offered to take a few of us in her car back to Portomarin to get some provisions. One of several acts of kindness I found on my walk that really helped to restore my faith in ‘us’. We are all pilgrims in one form or another. Even if you don’t ask for hospitality it sometimes finds you. Precious.

I encountered 3 people between Roncesvalles and Pamplona that I was never far from. Other confluences from other routes and starting points gave momentary blips of people or journey long interactions. Galicia is where the crowds began. A holiday around the 2nd week of February there was a holiday in Portugal. Hundreds of young teenagers and the Sarria to SdC crowd. One albergue, the Xunta in Barbadelo, filled 17 of 18 beds. If you are alone, you won’t be for long. If you are with people you can choose to walk alone.

I hope in my meandering fashion that I have answered your questions! Very best to you!

Attachments

• 052FB385-4561-44DD-B23C-DD3F55F08A1C.jpeg
    052FB385-4561-44DD-B23C-DD3F55F08A1C.jpeg
    603.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 98508BCF-8A7C-43CE-B4B7-78C1F7CE46DD.jpeg
    98508BCF-8A7C-43CE-B4B7-78C1F7CE46DD.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks Darby - cant tell you how much I appreciate your reply. We had pleanty of cold and snow in March when we walked, but we started just as many of the conveniences were starting to open. Love the suggestion for the traction cleats - I can think of several days where these would have come in handy. Your reply was most helpful.

€46,-
Just lovely pictures. As with @CaminoChris, can't imagine I'll ever walk a winter camino, but I am thrilled by the views you have captured. With this album, you have walked it for us and captured it artfully. Thank you!

Stunning photos Darby, thanks for sharing... really enjoyed looking at them.

Paul

Thanks for sharing your winter camino! Seeing your photos from Abergue Verde in Hospital De Orbigo brought back some fond memories

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thank you for sharing your fabulous photos. I have been umming and arring about a Winter camino but seeing your photos have sealed the deal.

Thank you for sharing your fabulous photos. I have been umming and arring about a Winter camino but seeing your photos have sealed the deal.
CK, thank you for your comment! My wife and I just returned from her first and my second winter CF. Before leaving she was very hesitant about the winter option. She tends to run cool and at times her backpack weighed close to nothing as she was wearing every layer she had. But about half way through she was sold on the winter option as we slowly began encountering more and more "traffic". She was a trooper and I really enjoyed being able to share 6 weeks of wandering slowly east with her.

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
👣 Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Crazy! That is what we were told by others when we decided to walk 500+ miles with two of our children across the top of Spain. We got a little nervous in the weeks leading up to the flight that...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the Fería de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.