• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter for this future peregrina

sheiko

Ubi amor ibi fides
Time of past OR future Camino
(October 2016) Camino Frances from SJDdP
Hello everyone, so thrilled to find this resource! Please forgive my lengthy first post.

First -- my background is in Art History, studied Christian and Byzantine Art in another life. I love the confluence of Moorish and Christian aesthetics. Currently itching to embark on a different track not only career-wise but also relocating, strengthening my faith, finding my true calling, etc. I had an epiphany during a bout of insomnia that I need to do the Camino de Santiago.

I’m considering going in late November / December but have just started planning. I intend on going solo and naturally nervous about walking alone. Some research eases my worries a bit, and you peregrinos seem to be a warm, lovely bunch!

Second
-- I am a mere 100lbs and not necessarily an athletic person. More bookish. I get lost easily. I have done day-hikes up the AT and some wall climbing but that's about it. I tend to melt in the heat (ugh) and feel most alive during the fall. I have an auto-immune thing that makes me lethargic, so obv doc clearance is in order.

Now the logistics:

• Winter = snow/colder = heavier gear, boots vs trainers
  • Bringing journal/sketchpad = 20% of gear weight recommended, LOL
  • I would rather brave a tent outside than get bitten by bed bugs (which means bulkier gear, esp. sleeping bag)

Option 1:
12-day trek on the 4th week of November, perhaps the Camino Primitivo since it would be a good way to start the journey, considering I love everything historical and medieval.

Option 2: A month-long trek until before Christmas, which would allow me to do Camino de Portugese — would love to visit Sintra and Porto along the way.

Option 3: A month on the Camino Frances — which would address the going solo worries, availability of albergues, conveniences.

Option 4: 10-day max doing shorter route (Finisterre / Ingles) or partial (Leon to SdC / Porto to SdC)

Do you guys think any of these is overly ambitious, given my limitations? Which track would be best? I feel I should do a whole route instead of just portions of the pilgrimage since I don’t know when I’d ever have the chance again. Does it matter in the end if you’ve done a section only? Is the experience as life-changing?

And lastly, should/can I get mace spray? o_O

TIA!

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
In January, I met twelve fellow pilgrims in three weeks between Leon and Santiago. It is very quiet in the winter. Accommodations are open only in the large places, so the ability to stop every five kilometers disappears. It is beautiful, but expect to be alone!

In January, I met twelve fellow pilgrims in three weeks between Leon and Santiago. It is very quiet in the winter. Accommodations are open only in the large places, so the ability to stop every five kilometers disappears. It is beautiful, but expect to be alone!

Thank you for the input -- I do hope November is much "friendlier!"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I think that, for a first Camino, the Francese would be preferable, although I have twice done the Primitivo and love it. As well, stages on the Francese are more flexible for those for who might not be the most able to walk long stages. The Francese infrastructure is the most sophisticated. It will also have a good dose of the romanesque buildings which might interest you. I might also suggest a detour out of Mansilla las Mulas to San Miguel de Escalada, which has one of the most extraordinary Mozarabic church, which will show powerful links to the Byzantine tradition. The Roncesvalles-Logrono stretch is chockful of exciting mediaevaliana (and you sometimes feel yourself walking through a Renaissance painting), and this picks up again at Burgos and all the way to Santiago.

Gitlitz and Davidson is downloadable and will be your friend. Janice Mann's "Romanesque Architecture and its Sculptural Decoration in Christian Spain, 1000-1120: Exploring Frontiers and Defining Identities" might be helpful in choosing a route. I would not recommend staying in a tent in November, but I daresay there are those who do so- the bedbug problem is not so great that it should drive us to that. I would note that campgrounds are not easily found and wild camping is discouraged by property-owners-- often albergues will allow camping-- there are threads on this forum on the topic.

As far as mace or pepper spray goes, I find that males are usually not the best discutants on topics of women's safety, but I will point out the limited legality of these sprays in Spain-- US laws do not apply outside the US (well, they do try with tax laws, but that's another discussion for another place), and I will refer Sheiko to the threads on security on the Camino. Pilgrims walking together are likely the best protection.

Which track would be best? I feel I should do a whole route instead of just portions of the pilgrimage since I don’t know when I’d ever have the chance again. Does it matter in the end if you’ve done a section only? Is the experience as life-changing?
And lastly, should/can I get mace spray?
Lastly first! No, don't get mace spray. I would not even consider it. Instead, walk with sensible precautions, with more confidence than you would have in a park at home, wherever that is.

There is no "whole route" except from your front door and back again. I would recommend the Frances because of the clear marking and the infrastructure.

I expect that a winter pilgrimage would have a number of unique aspects that would make it every bit as life-changing or meaningful as any other route at other times, or likely more.
I would rather brave a tent outside than get bitten by bed bugs (which means bulkier gear, esp. sleeping bag)
I am known around these parts for my plentiful bedbug experience and advice. They are not uncommon, but most people are never apparently bitten, and I would certainly not suggest winter camping as an alternative! Is your concern based just on the "yuckiness" factor, or do you have a known severe reaction? If it is simply yuckiness, then I suggest simple basic knowledge about decontamination would be adequate. If you are severely allergic, send me a Private Conversation and we can discuss!

I think that, for a first Camino, the Francese would be preferable... The Roncesvalles-Logrono stretch is chockful of exciting mediaevaliana...Gitlitz and Davidson is downloadable and will be your friend. Janice Mann's "Romanesque Architecture and its Sculptural Decoration in Christian Spain, 1000-1120: Exploring Frontiers and Defining Identities...

THANK YOU SOO MUCH, this excites me even more! I am strongly considering Camino Frances even for this alone!

...No, don't get mace spray... Instead, walk with sensible precautions, with more confidence than you would have in a park at home, wherever that is.

Hear, hear. Thank you, members, for this piece of important advice.

I am known around these parts for my plentiful bedbug experience and advice...If it is simply yuckiness, then I suggest simple basic knowledge about decontamination would be adequate. If you are severely allergic...

I'm afraid to push it because I have questionable luck when it comes to anything health-related! I will def research on how to handle this bug-a-boo issue without resorting to camping out.

I wished I've gotten the CdS calling much earlier (so I could've been there by now) but I suppose He has other plans for me! The wintry season does require a bit more planning...but exciting nonetheless!

As for my schedule -- I am at a point where I want to take a break from everything so I can reset. So 10-14 days is optimal but if I have to do a month, I will! (though this would just need a stricter budget).

THANK YOU for the replies. I sincerely appreciate them.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi there @sheiko ! Welcome aboard!

As a personal opinion, I reckon you should go for Option 3; being your first time with the added winter time window to walk.

The Camino Frances is lovely but, for being too popular, its way too crowded between april to october, leaving the remaining months - IMHO - the only still enjoyable months to do it! I love to have other pilgrims to meet, but I can't take it the queue of pilgrims that are in the trails during summer time, the lack of beds in the albergues and so on...

On the other hand; during nov/dec in other Caminos, you may find it's way too empty... loooong lonely walks...

Regarding the walking time, also in my opinion, one month is a good amount of time for you to really get into this... For you to go through all phases of pain, regret, bliss, joy and enlightenment.... Shorter versions ( 1 to 2 weeks) are still ok, but in my experience they do not provide you with the same mind&soul experience :rolleyes:

Read all other valuable tips from other forum members, there are a lot of threads talking about the Camino in winter.

I'll be in the Aragones in November and the Frances once again in November/December .

There is this thread that I've put together to list the pilgrims on this forum that will be walking any of the caminos during nov/dec/jan.

Happy planning!

Ultreia!

I think Leon or Astorga are good start options . I'd probably go for Leon , it would be a shame not to see its stunning cathedral , it's a good option for a beginner distance wise and for services / accommodation and company at that time of year . That's my 2 cents on the matter :) . Whatever you choose I hope it's a blessed trip .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi there @sheiko ! Welcome aboard!

As a personal opinion, I reckon you should go for Option 3; being your first time with the added winter time window to walk...I'll be in the Aragones in November and the Frances once again in November/December .

You lovelies have convinced me! Camino Frances it is! I love narrowing down options as the days go closer.

I do hope I will get ample time to experience the journey as you have described. Perhaps I'll see you on the road! :)

I think Leon or Astorga are good start options . I'd probably go for Leon , it would be a shame not to see its stunning cathedral , it's a good option for a beginner distance wise and for services / accommodation and company at that time of year...

Thank you so much! The structures look stunning indeed from the pics I've seen! This is def in my list! Gracias!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
plan in some extra time to visit the basilica San Isidoro in LeĂłn!
Definitely.

Hiked along with two girls for a few days on one of the toughest spots on the Appalachian Trail. They had already hiked 300 miles south through Maine. One looked like if you wet her down she might reach close to 90 pounds. After provisioning her pack weighed 45 pounds. So the extra winter load can be carried.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sheiko:

I would suggest you walk the CF. The marking is better than the CP and the start is much easier. Therefore, you are more likely to not get lost and you will have a few days to allow your body to adjust to walking distances before the hills. There might be issues with some Albergues being closed but some planning should make this manageable.

I have never encountered a bed bug on my Camino's. I spray my back pack and sleeping bag with permethian. This can be purchased in a store like REI.

Life changing? Try not to have an expectation and just be open to whatever the Camino offers you.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back