• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter - How to get to St Jean?

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning from SJPdP 2015-16 winter
My husband and I are planning to walk from St Jean Pied de Port in mid December 2015. This will be our first Camino and we're very excited (and ready for some cold weather!). We'll most likely fly in to Barcelona (want to go to a futbol game). I've tried to determine how we can get to SJPdP, and tried to follow recommendations from this forum and other web searches, but I think maybe in the winter many of these routes don't run?
- Alsa bus looks to stop the route from Pamplona in November 2
- Conda bus seems to only go as near as Pamplona in December
- Renfe train to Pamplona also works but then from Pamplona to SJPdP is still not found
- taxi from Pamplona may be an option but is expensive?
- Train from Bayonne- Maybe I am just trying to book this too far in advance because it also doesn't show December dates? This may not be the best anyways - this would be out of our way quite a bit if we fly in to Barcelona

Does anyone know if the train or buses will have schedules to SJPdP that are just not showing now because it is too far in advance, but will show available routes when we get closer to the date? Or are there other recommedations for how to get to SJPdP in mid-December? Thank you

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just a heads up, I have read that the route Napolean from SJPDP will now have a closed season, not sure when this applies but please check it out otherwise you maybe disappointed.

My husband and I are planning to walk from St Jean Pied de Port in mid December 2015. This will be our first Camino and we're very excited (and ready for some cold weather!). We'll most likely fly in to Barcelona (want to go to a futbol game). I've tried to determine how we can get to SJPdP, and tried to follow recommendations from this forum and other web searches, but I think maybe in the winter many of these routes don't run?
- Renfe train to Pamplona also works but then from Pamplona to SJPdP is still not found
- Train from Bayonne- Maybe I am just trying to book this too far in advance because it also doesn't show December dates? This may not be the best anyways - this would be out of our way quite a bit if we fly in to Barcelona

Does anyone know if the train or buses will have schedules to SJPdP that are just not showing now because it is too far in advance, but will show available routes when we get closer to the date? Or are there other recommedations for how to get to SJPdP in mid-December? Thank you
This was from an earlier post,
Los frecuentes extravíos de peregrinos en medio de la ventisca y de la niebla, en ocasiones sin equipación adecuada para una ruta de montaña y con consecuencias fatales para sus vidas, han motivado que a partir de este año se cierre en los meses invernales (desde el 1 de noviembre hasta el 31 de marzo) la ruta más dura de la primera etapa del Camino de Santiago.

Frequent wanderings of pilgrims in a blizzard and fog, sometimes without adequate equipment for a mountain path with fatal consequences for their lives, have caused that from this year to close in the winter months (from the November 1 to March 31) the hardest route of the first stage of the Camino de Santiago.

So you may find no support better to follow up and check just in case.
Trevor

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes thank you for the heads up on the Napoleon route being closed, I had read that and we're ok doing the lower valley Valcarlos route instead (which I think I have read would be open). Maybe it's silly but we want to start in France, and hoping to go to Finisterre, for a border-to-border walk.

Happywalker:

You could take the train from Barcelona to Irun, which is on the French border (Hendaye), and start walking on the Vasco (tunnel route) from there. It intersects with the Frances in Santa Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos.

If you are intent on starting in SJPdP, you could take a train or bus from Barcelona to Pamplona. There is a website Corazonpuro.es. The owner picks up Peregrino's in Pamplona, puts them up for the night and drives them to SJPdP in the morning. You might want to contact them and see if they operate year round.

Ultreya,
Joe

Happywalker,

There will be some type of train/bus connection between Bayonne and SJPdP when you plan to start but it is too early for the 15/12/2015 schedule to be posted. Such schedules usually are posted 90 days in advance; do check later.

Bon chemin and Buen camino!

PS. For much info/many links see this earlier thread re Winter Walking

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Sorry, but I must ask: Are you serious? Do you know what it takes to walk in the winter in the mountains from SJPP when you are reaching the altitude of 1.500 meters? I think that they would not let you go from SJPP. Are you experienced walkers and comfortable with the extreme weather that could appear suddenly and the icy very steep uphill and downhill walking? Do you have gear for that situation? It´s quite something else to walk in the lowland area than up in the mountains. Certainly there are persons here that can do this but walking in the winter is something else. Think twice.

I have walked from St Jean Pied de port many times ....go for it.. you can take the Valcarlos route if your a novice walker which can be interesting in winter with snow but very doable..with the option to stop at Valcarlos

if you can get to IRUN main station you can then walk to a smaller station 5-8 minutes ,on Colon Ibilbidea (metro station)on the left hand side "Irun Colon" buy ticket from machine ,go downstairs to platform take train to Hendaye/hendaia. then change trains to Bayonne,
for Bayonne train to St Jean pied de port.

time tables seem to change for winter around 9th October on wards.

many people with winter skills venture out into hilly and mountainous terrain( and sometimes even they have short comings).....only a foolish inconsiderate person would do otherwise, safety first always..

in all honesty in winter time starting from Roncesvalles or even Pamplona is great as well,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
the train time table I have found called Euskotren. from Irun -colon (winter)

From Irun-colon to Hendaye/hendai (basque and Spanish spelling)

Depart 06:28
Arrive 06:32 am

Depart 06:51 am
Arrive 06:55 am

Then Departs 18 minutes past the hour and 48 minutes past the hour.

form Hendaye/hendai change over to other station one minute walk.
depart to Bayonne

D.05:09 am
A. 05:40 am
then 05 / 45 and 55 past the next hour.
then 31 past the hour.
from 08:00 am
D 08:01 am
A 08:31
then similar but not exact times past each each through out the day
last departure 17:26 pm.

Last edited:
Be sure to check for available accommodations before you leave !

Buen Camino

Many folks look at the altitude of the Napoleon route and make the mistake of comparing it to what ever mountains they hike. (I have an 11000' peak behind my house that I hike in summer. In winter, it kills people almost every year-it's simply not the same mountain)Make no mistake, in winter, this route can and does kill people. IF you are prepared (winter gear)AND experienced (snow/ice/storms) it certainly can be done as there is no technical section on the route. On the other hand, you must be prepared and capable of staying the night, or two, on the route. If you are not and you attempt this route, we will be reading about you next year. The gear you will need to complete this section is not the gear you want to carry for the rest of the Camino. To be honest(and no disrespect intended), if you were unaware of this, you should not be considering it. Roncesvalles is the historical Spanish start of the CDS. Ofcourse, so is the first step taken from where ever you begin.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry, but I must ask: Are you serious? Do you know what it takes to walk in the winter in the mountains from SJPP when you are reaching the altitude of 1.500 meters? I think that they would not let you go from SJPP. Are you experienced walkers and comfortable with the extreme weather that could appear suddenly and the icy very steep uphill and downhill walking? Do you have gear for that situation? It´s quite something else to walk in the lowland area than up in the mountains. Certainly there are persons here that can do this but walking in the winter is something else. Think twice.

Yes, thank you for making sure we're not crazy! :) We plan to walk the Valcarlos route from SJPdP which should avoid the worst of the mountains out of SJPdP, and if it's too bad even on the Valcarlos route we'll adjust our plans as necessary. We do have some winter camping, ski-in backpacking and mountaineering experience, but I also know that experience won't do us any good in whiteouts or icy-slopes without full proper ice gear. Thank you for the words of caution, we'll be careful.

Many folks look at the altitude of the Napoleon route and make the mistake of comparing it to what ever mountains they hike. (I have an 11000' peak behind my house that I hike in summer. In winter, it kills people almost every year-it's simply not the same mountain)Make no mistake, in winter, this route can and does kill people. IF you are prepared (winter gear)AND experienced (snow/ice/storms) it certainly can be done as there is no technical section on the route. On the other hand, you must be prepared and capable of staying the night, or two, on the route. If you are not and you attempt this route, we will be reading about you next year. The gear you will need to complete this section is not the gear you want to carry for the rest of the Camino. To be honest(and no disrespect intended), if you were unaware of this, you should not be considering it. Roncesvalles is the historical Spanish start of the CDS. Ofcourse, so is the first step taken from where ever you begin.

Thank you for the words of caution. We don't plan to do the Napoleon route - we plan to do the Valcarlos route. I have read that the last part from Valcarlos in to Roncesvalle also has a steep section up to Ibaneta - we'll watch the conditions and the weather and make a safe decision about it. While we do have some crampon/ice axe and quite a bit of winter camping / mountaineering experience, you are right that we don't want to bring all of this gear for the rest of the walk (and that no gear is "safe" in a whiteout if we don't know where we are going), so if the conditions don't allow, we'll start in Roncesvalle or Pamplona or somewhere else, but we'd like to at least start out hoping for a start in SJPdP.

SAM_0259.JPG

crossing over on a good day ?? this photo was took this side of the Spanish border crossing .the other side was a lot of snow and spin drift requiring me to camp in my mountain tent..next day crampons would of been required due to snow melt and the ascent and decent icing up..took 13 hours total.. and a lot of effort in deep snow....

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On way to Roncesvalles 1.JPG SAM_0257.JPG SAM_0258.JPG

the photo with my walking poles on the snow. shows foot prints from the day before, someone was heading in the wrong direction.
I learned later from the police in Roncesvalles it was a Korean person..this person was rescued..
for me I am qualified and prepared ....and I did all my winter skills courses(mountain leaders) in the military and as a civilian recently.........Always safety first

Last edited:
Of course, the single most dangerous thing to the Peregrino on the modern CDS are vehicles.

You really gotta love snow and ice cause this photo says it all. Burrr!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We walked in January over the high road for our first camino. It was not an extremely cold winter, but it was challenging as a whole pilgrimage. The whole pilgrimage is totally different to what you read about other times of year. We loved the sense of owning the track, as we only met a handful of pilgrims along the way. And it is more expensive, as you have to use private accommodation mostly - the albergues are frequently closed. The days are short, too, so allow for that. We ended up skipping the meseta, took bus and train for 100 km into Leon, as we just got exhausted and miserable battling the icy headwind there (we decided that it was supposed to be enjoyable, and after a few days R&R in Leon it was, again). Every pilgrimage has its charms and its downsides, but with careful preparation (clothing and finance) a winter camino is very memorable, we loved it. And you do feel very tough. (And when I read about the hordes on the track in summer and the race to get a bed each day, oh dear, that sounds awful).

I would start in Pamplona. I started my first Camino there, and then returned the next year to start at the true traditional start, LePuy en Velay.

The trip from Pamplona was great, one of the best ever. I did not feel like I missed any of the magic of the Camino by not starting where some movie claims the trail begins.

If I were to go over the Pyrenees, I'd bring my serious winter gear and mail most of it home from Pamplona.

Yes thank you for the heads up on the Napoleon route being closed, I had read that and we're ok doing the lower valley Valcarlos route instead (which I think I have read would be open). Maybe it's silly but we want to start in France, and hoping to go to Finisterre, for a border-to-border walk.
Buen Camino I hope, I know your Camino will be great.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I left sjpd on 12/28/15 and had no trouble on the vally route .I flew into madrid bussed from the airport to pamplona hotel for fhe night and a cabto sjpd in the morning fhe cab was 100 euros but got a guided tour of camino crossings and open alburges.one more tbing you never know what may be open so always keep some food with you if the weather is bad take a rest day.winter is a great time to walk beun camino

The French regional railway timetables run to early December then change for the next year - take this year's schedule as a guide and you won't be far wrong

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back