• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Where/how to get taxi from Cruz de Ferro?

kdtorrez

Time of past OR future Camino
9/2023 Camino de frances
Moderator note: This post has been moved from another thread to start this new thread

Good idea to walk short stages and savor the walk! If you take one taxi, I would make it Acebo to Molinaseca. Plenty of people walk it, but it’s sheer rock instead of dirt, and at least as challenging as SJPP to Roncesvalles in my experiences from 2021 and June 2023. I’m in my early 50’s, if that helps to gauge whether this is helpful for
That’s good advice. With bad knees, the descent from Cruz de Ferro will be a challenge. You can choose to walk on the road instead of the trail, but still it’s a long descent. There used to be and probably still are posters by the Cruz with telephone numbers to taxis, but you could also ask for numbers at your accommodation before you leave in the morning.
When getting a taxi at Cruz de Ferro, where would b a good place to get out at - where the path is not so rocky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
There is a road that goes right past, as the tour buses all use this to get up here. As already mentioned, there is a parking lot here for a taxi to wait.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When getting a taxi at Cruz de Ferro, where would b a good place to get out at - where the path is not so rocky?

If I understand your questio, you are looking to take the taxi FROM Cruz de Ferro.

I have edited my previous comment in deference to those with a better memory of the route. My last walk on that stage was 18 years ago.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If I understand your questio, you are looking to take the taxi FROM Cruz de Ferro. If so, I would suggest getting out in El Acebo which will bypass the worst of the rocky trail If my memory is correct.
I have reconstructed right knee (actually entire right leg and hip) from traumatic car accident, I found the downhill walk from Cruz de Ferro as nowhere close to the downhill from El Acebo de San Miguel to Riego de Ambros. That downhill from El Acebo killed my knees. If I have known about the horrific downhill before hand, I would taken a cab from Cruz de Ferro to at least Molinaseca. You can call +34 671 708 070 or +34 663 500 933 for taxi. Save your knees! See attached pdf for elevation profile.

Attachments

• CruzFerro_Molinaseca.pdf
    67.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
All the way from Cruz de Ferro (except until Manjarin) is a very hard and rocky descent, like from Alto del Perdon. If you have any sort of knee/foot troubles, I would strongly recommend walking on the road. From Alto del Perdon it is short and easy to Uterga, and from Cruz de Ferro it is long and easy from Manjarin to Molinaseca.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thanks for the replies. Want to save our knees a bit so you have given us options to consider. Much appreciated.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I booked a taxi the night before to pick me up at Cruz de Ferro. I'd recommend having the staff at your albergue/pensione call unless you speak perfect Spanish. My driver arrived earlier than requested and picked me up in the parking lot behind the cross.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back