• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter route recommendations

adrianm4492

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Mar-Apr 2017, Jan-Feb 2019
Hello all. I walked the CF last Mar/Apr but am now back in "civilisation". But the calling has got to me again and I have to go back. My plans at this point are to go to Japan in october to walk the 88 temples walk in Japan, then to Europe. I first planned to walk from Le Puy in January but reading posts on this it seems like a foolhardy thing to do. Apart from everything being closed it seems it's just too cold. I will be carrying a tent for times I might not find anything open but it seems it is just not possible. I'm no alpine hiker and am not that fit (though should be after walking Shikoku) but I am also realistic. So I guess what I am after is suggestions for which route to walk in winter. I hate the heat and love the solitude that winter brings but I don't want to die of exposure! I am now thinking the VDLP. Would this be a more viable option in winter?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hello all. I walked the CF last Mar/Apr but am now back in "civilisation". But the calling has got to me again and I have to go back. My plans at this point are to go to Japan in october to walk the 88 temples walk in Japan, then to Europe. I first planned to walk from Le Puy in January but reading posts on this it seems like a foolhardy thing to do. Apart from everything being closed it seems it's just too cold. I will be carrying a tent for times I might not find anything open but it seems it is just not possible. I'm no alpine hiker and am not that fit (though should be after walking Shikoku) but I am also realistic. So I guess what I am after is suggestions for which route to walk in winter. I hate the heat and love the solitude that winter brings but I don't want to die of exposure! I am now thinking the VDLP. Would this be a more viable option in winter?
In Spain definitely southern routes (Augusta, VdlP, Estrecho, Levante, Sanabres, La Lana, Mozarabe and Ebro) are likely to have more pleasant conditions then the rest up north. But if you want to have some real winter conditions I guess Frances with its infrastructure would be a safe bet.
Maybe check out vlog by a guy currently walking CF:
and get the idea what you might expect.
Also our forum member @mspath is a CF winter walker. A wealth of information.

Buen winter Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello - I am planning to walk about the first half of the Via Podiensis next month, May 2024. I will start from Le Puy and walk for 16 days. I am flying into Paris and would like to purchase a sim...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back