Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Wise Pilgrim Guide— on the Invierno

Sidknee

Time of past OR future Camino
1993 Francés, 2020 Francés, 2022 Francés
Hi @wisepilgrim I’m currently walking the Camino Invierno using your app (very good).

Have some current info on route changes we’ve encountered (not major, most are diverting you away from busy roads or through small towns), updates on some pricing for Albergues and photos you may/may not want to use.

Preference is to share them in a PM if you’re interested?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi @wisepilgrim I’m currently walking the Camino Invierno using your app (very good).

Have some current info on route changes we’ve encountered (not major, most are diverting you away from busy roads or through small towns), updates on some pricing for Albergues and photos you may/may not want to use.

Preference is to share them in a PM if you’re interested?
Starting Invierno on the 4th...will use wise pilgrim...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi All, first day walled from Ponferrada to Las Médulas, 28km. The way markers out of town are OK, but once out of Ponferrada they fall away quickly. Found myself checking WPG App regularly which kept us on track.

Took the red short cut after Santalla del Bierzo. It isn’t well mainted, can be very steep in parts. It runs past what looks like an old Albergue hut(?).

Didn’t follow any other Red routes. Walked up to the lookout after a shower, bite to eat and a couple of beers. Think that was a good decision. The steep decent from the lookout to Las Médulas would have tested me at the end of a day 1 hike.

Accommodation was at the Hotel on the way into town (empty).

Attachments

• IMG_2039.jpeg
    10.1 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2046.jpeg
    IMG_2046.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2035.jpeg
    IMG_2035.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2022.jpeg
    IMG_2022.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
Day 2 Las Médulas ti O Barco de Valdeorras, 27km. Bit of a climb out of Las Médulas, but it was down hill and flat for most of the day.

Accommodation at the Albergue. I WhatsApped them and they responded. Appreciate it says call, but I don’t have a Spanish phone number. WhatsApp worked.

Day 3 O Barco de Valdeorras to Quiroga, 42 km. Yep, long day in the saddle.

If you follow the yellow arrows and Camino “blocks” religiously there are a couple of diversions on the leg, not major but they vary from WPG. They eventually rejoin each other.

Also the Camino “blocks” all become slate, everything turns to slate for the next couple of days…

Couple of tough little climbs in this section.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Day 4 Quiroga to A Podrá do Brollon. Short stage, only 23km.

Just as you leave town the markers take you across the bridge and through a small town, rejoining the WPG track at the next bridge. Nothing really in the town, not sure what the redirection is for? If you can remember, stick with the WPG tracks.

A couple of climbs that will test your legs, but it was only a short day.

Stayed at the Albergue, €16.50. All prices seem higher than the WPG. That said, a nice Albergue. Not sure why more people don’t stay there. Hospitalera was extremely helpful and kind.

Food was hard to come by early in the evening (before 7:30pm). There was a Supermarket (from memory Ana’s on the round about as you go up the hill to the Albergue) where you can grab some food to self assemble if you can’t hold out for later in the evening when the bars/cafes start serving. Hamburgers seem to be the popular fare.

Stayed at the Albergue, €16.50. All prices seem higher than the WPG. That said, a nice Albergue.
The albergue in Pobra de Brollón has just recently opened - I haven’t heard anything about what it’s like. Good to know it’s nice! Any more details? Were there others there?

I’m wondering if the opening of a few more albergues is having an effect on numbers. You don‘t say anything about meeting others, @Sidknee, are you pretty much alone out there?

Thanks for the updates!

Day 5 A Podrá do Brollon to
The albergue in Pobra de Brollón has just recently opened - I haven’t heard anything about what it’s like. Good to know it’s nice! Any more details? Were there others there?

I’m wondering if the opening of a few more albergues is having an effect on numbers. You don‘t say anything about meeting others, @Sidknee, are you pretty much alone out there?

Thanks for the updates!
Added a couple of photos.

5 of us in total, in two separate dormitories.

Attachments

• IMG_2265.jpeg
    IMG_2265.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2269.jpeg
    IMG_2269.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2271.jpeg
    IMG_2271.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2268.jpeg
    IMG_2268.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2272.jpeg
    IMG_2272.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2274.jpeg
    IMG_2274.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 32
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thanks for the updates!
First 3 days didn’t see another pilgrim. Day 4 we saw 5. Day 6 we saw 7. Day 7 we saw 4. All different pilgrims. Very few people walking. The Albergues all require you to contact them at least 1 day in advance and in some cases 2 days.

Not having a Spanish phone number was a bit painful. Not all use WhatsApp. Which means I couldn’t always phone them.

Day 5 A Pobra do Brollon to San Paio de Diomondi.

If you’re staying in San Paio (and you should, the Albergue is a cracker) get some food on the way. There is a big Gadis supermarket in Montforte de Limos. But, and it’s a big but the Albergue doesnt have any cooking pots, utensils, plates, glasses or cutlery. Pre-packaged salads, cheese, bread, salami etc. if you have your own spork, knife or cutlery cup-a-noodles or the like may be an option. The hospitalera asked if we had food, it sounded like she’d help out(?) if we had said no.

The person who runs the pickup and drop back meal option looks like he isn’t operating. Tried to contact him the day before without response. Hence why we bought food.

Dogs unrestrained are a real problem on this leg. There are two in particular. Reigada and just after A Lagos (near A Cova)). Both were super aggressive. The dog in Reigada you come around a corner of some buildings and are confronted by it. You have no where to go in a small space. Come prepared. The dog near A Cova you can see and hear it a long way off, don’t be fooled into thinking it will back off. It doesn’t. You need a big stick or walking poles to fend it off.

Beyond those 2 locations the others are well restrained barkers and what you’d expect in farming communities. Can give you a fright if you don’t see them, but they wouldn’t cause you any harm.

Don’t want to put people off but it is something to be aware of.

Back to the Albergue. The Hospitalera is happy to show you the adjoining church and to talk about its history (she only speaks Spanish) but is a very patient and kind person.

Attachments

• IMG_2340.jpeg
    IMG_2340.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2346.jpeg
    IMG_2346.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2345.jpeg
    IMG_2345.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Day 5 (Part B)

When you’re coming into Monteforte de Limos you’ll come to a T-junction with 2 options (none of which mirror the WPG - see attached photos). I opted for the primary route (not alternativo). Think the was about 2km difference between the 2).

That’s the route to the left. If you choose this route you’ll see an electricity pole with yellow arrows on 2 sides. You are meant to turn left here. If you miss the pole or misunderstand the arrows and keep going straight ahead you’ll come to a fork in the road and can see a factory straight ahead of you then you’ve come too far.

The route into town is reasonably well marked, but it’s through an industrial area (code for not very nice).

As for the alternate route suggested on the sign and or the WPG suggestions I can’t offer any comment.

They all meet up eventually on the other side of town and eventually take you past the big Gadis supermercado.

Think WPG tries to take you on a more scenic and ultimately a better experience route?

Attachments

• IMG_2298.jpeg
    IMG_2298.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2297.jpeg
    IMG_2297.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 33
Dogs unrestrained are a real problem on this leg. There are two in particular. Reigada and just after A Lagos (near A Cova)). Both were super aggressive.
Not great to hear. I‘ve walked the Invierno several times and never had that problem. The two persistent problems with dogs were a loose mastiff in Villavieja, and the truly fierce dogs chained outside a door on the way down to the bridge at Barxa de Lor. Seems that both of those issues have been dealt with, and now some more pop up!

Were these dogs near a dwelling or just out loose? I have long used the following tactic — stop walking. Shout “oiga” till the owner appears. If my shouts don’t alert the owner, the incessant barking will. But of course if the dogs are just out running and far from home, that tactic won’t work!

I have come a long way coping with my fear of barking and growling dogs, but I don’t think I would be capable of walking past the ones you describe.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Camino Invierno - Day 6 - San Paio de Diomondi to Rodeiro.

A day only for the feint hearted.

Hardest part, first 3 hours. Extremely steep descent on what looks to be an old Roman stone road. Followed by a climbed that is equally challenging (including variations that different to the WPG).

If you’re not fit and sure of foot I’d think twice about taking this route (you can stick to the road. Much longer, but also much easier I’m told).

This is followed by a day climbing over Alto Faro, the highest point on this Camino. The climb to Alto Faro can be steep for the first 2km but it gets easier. Stop for a coffee in Cantina O Peto, it’s worth the stop and they have a sello there which helps if you need to collect another one.

Just when you think it’s all down hill, the route kicks back up.

Then you slide into Rodeiro for a good nights sleep.

Stayed at the Carpieteiras Hostal/Albergue (booked on …). This is a very good hostel. Lunch and breakfast served downstairs in the bar/restaurant. You can get dinner around the corner from the hostel.

Attachments

• IMG_2361.jpeg
    IMG_2361.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2362.jpeg
    IMG_2362.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2366.jpeg
    IMG_2366.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
Think WPG tries to take you on a more scenic and ultimately a better experience route?
I don’t know about WP‘s alternative because I haven’t seen the map, but the right hand turn at the spot you indicate gets you into town closer to the train station, Then you have a km or so down to join the other option in the center. That was the official route the first time I walked the Invierno in 2012. It could be that they have kept the two alternatives because anyone who stays in a place near the train station (such as the Albergue Lemavo) would have to do some backtracking if they took the left hand turn into town and then walking back towards the station.

Camino Invierno - Day 6 - San Paio de Diomondi to Rodeiro.
That was surely a grueling day, as you say. The Diomondi albergue, beautiful as it is, kind of puts you in a spot of having to choose either a really short walk to Chantada (or a few kms beyond to the hotel/albergue Vilaseco near Penasillás) or a monster walk with both the descent/ascent over the Miño, followed by the ascent/descent to Monte Faro.

I have always gone up to Monte Faro but have been tempted to try to lower elevation option, primarily because I hear there are some nice little romanesque churches along the way. But the Monte Faro is an important pilgrimage destination itself (totally separate from the Camino), and the views from the top on a clear day extend to incude all of the provinces of Galicia I‘ve been told. They are lovely and it’s a nice place for a rest stop. And I agree with you that the ascent to Monte Faro is pretty gentle, so doable for most, at least if they are starting out from Chantada or Penasillás!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not great to hear. I‘ve walked the Invierno several times and never had that problem. The two persistent problems with dogs were a loose mastiff in Villavieja, and the truly fierce dogs chained outside a door on the way down to the bridge at Barxa de Lor. Seems that both of those issues have been dealt with, and now some more pop up!

Were these dogs near a dwelling or just out loose? I have long used the following tactic — stop walking. Shout “oiga” till the owner appears. If my shouts don’t alert the owner, the incessant barking will. But of course if the dogs are just out running and far from home, that tactic won’t work!

I have come a long way coping with my fear of barking and growling dogs, but I don’t think I would be capable of walking past the ones you describe.

Both were near dwellings.

I wasn’t particularly hanging around waiting for the owners. I suspect they are some what deaf to the barking and growling.

Thank goodness for the stick I had for the first dog. But I’m not keen on suggesting people get too aggressive with these dogs. They may get themselves into more problems. Particularly if the dog grabs their stick/hiking pole.

Out of 7 days this far, they were the only 2 dog experiences I’ve encountered. Both on the same day.

The others have been dogs behind fences barking, catching me unaware. But no risk or harm to me.

Camino Invierno - Day 7 - Rodeiro to Silleda.

This would have to be one of the best days walking on any of the Caminos I’ve completed. The scenery was stunning, matched by the 4 or 5km walk out of Lalín. They have done a cracking job along the river.

Two observations about the route. As you leave Rodeiro (about 2km) you need to turn right to take you away from the highway. If you walked out of town on the LHS, that turning point is easily missed (with plenty of traffic ~ and rain for us). One of our Group opted to keep going straight ahead, while I back tracked and followed the rural pathway.

Commentary on the highway walk was it was shorter by ~4km. You weren’t actually on the highway but on the side roads (rural) that run adjacent to the highway. Easy walk, but It was pretty boring….

The actual route (my words), was through rural and farm land. Typically on easily managed paths. Nice to get away from the traffic. It was raining (think our British friends call it “wet rain”).

Coming into Lalin the routes meet just out of town. WPG takes you down along the river. Markers take you above the town then down through to the river. Past the church.

Great cafe to stop for some refreshments or food is Casa Curras, just down from the Church on the LHS.

Then you keep walking straight down the hill to the river and one of the best river/creek walks I’ve experienced on any Camino.

The remainder of the day is pretty good with some stunning scenery intermingled with industrial complex walking as you leave some of the towns.

Albergue I stayed at in Silleda is Albergue Trabazo. One of the better ones on this Camino. I was the only person staying there…very newly renovated, excellent facilities.

Had lunch and dinner at Mirtitha’s. Was recommended by the hospitalero. The food and portions were outstanding. I arrived late for lunch (3:30), but they were only too willing to give me anything I wanted from the menu. Only 5 minutes walk from the Albergue.

Attachments

• IMG_2435.jpeg
    IMG_2435.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2436.jpeg
    IMG_2436.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2446.jpeg
    IMG_2446.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2448.jpeg
    IMG_2448.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2449.jpeg
    IMG_2449.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2451.jpeg
    IMG_2451.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2455.jpeg
    IMG_2455.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2475.jpeg
    IMG_2475.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2479.jpeg
    IMG_2479.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Commentary on the highway walk was it was shorter by ~4km. You weren’t actually on the highway but on the side roads (rural) that run adjacent to the highway. Easy walk, but It was pretty boring….
Totally agree with your comparison between the road route and the camino route. Though I haven’t walked the road route, I think others have taken it when they needed a shorter day, wanted to have cafés along the way, or were just otherwise in a hurry to get into Lalín.

The camino route from that turnoff at the processing plant has changed several times since I first walked, but it has always been, IMHO, a very pleasant, kind bucolic rural route.

Camino Invierno - Day 8 - Silleda to Outeiro.

25km, generally flat through rural/farm land.

When leaving Silleda I skipped the first 2 side routes, they were rocking horse diversions. The major turning point to the right I followed and thereafter stuck to the sign posted (and WPG) routes.

The remaining walk was through farmlands. As is the case in this concello, it’s dairy and corn, with some vineyards. No difficult parts. Couple of short sharp hills, but none that were really challenging.

As I planned to stay at the Albergue at Outeiro, I dutifully stopped for food at the Carrefour Supermercado in Ponte Ulla. About 100m up the road from the route turn-off (it’s just past the under pass with the mural on your LHS). Noting that the Albergue has no cooking utensils, cutlery or plates. So think through your dinner choices.

Arrived just before 12:00. Right on 13:00 the Hospitalero opened shop. There is a buzzer, which I could have used, but was happy to sit for a while.

Beyond the lack of kitchen equip, this place has everything.

Took a shower, freezing cold…just as I was hopping out I thought to myself I think the waters getting warmer, or maybe I’m getting use to the cold….yep, it was warming up. Note to self, run it through 3 or 4 times if it’s cold to see if HW comes through. Particularly if your the first or in my case only pilgrim. (You can’t adjust the temperature). It’s a very warm temp.

Didn’t pass or see any walking pilgrims today. 9 bicicleta pilgrims zoomed past early in the day.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpeg
    IMG_2493.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2495.jpeg
    IMG_2495.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2499.jpeg
    IMG_2499.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2503.jpeg
    IMG_2503.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2511.jpeg
    IMG_2511.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2523.jpeg
    IMG_2523.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2528.jpeg
    IMG_2528.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2531.jpeg
    IMG_2531.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
Some photos of the Albergue in Outeiro. The last one is the offending shower. May not be to everyone’s liking (open setup)

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2534.jpeg
    IMG_2534.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2535.jpeg
    IMG_2535.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2536.jpeg
    IMG_2536.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2537.jpeg
    IMG_2537.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2538.jpeg
    IMG_2538.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2539.jpeg
    IMG_2539.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2543.jpeg
    IMG_2543.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Camino Invierno - Day 8 - Sidella to Outeiro.

25km, generally flat through rural/farm land.

When leaving Sidella I skipped the first 2 side routes, they were rocking horse diversions. The major turning point to the right I followed and thereafter stuck to the sign posted (and WPG) routes.

The remaining walk was through farmlands. As is the case in this concello, it’s dairy and corn, with some vineyards. No difficult parts. Couple of short sharp hills, but none that were really challenging.

As I planned to stay at the Albergue at Outeiro, I dutifully stopped for food at the Carrefour Supermercado in Ponte Ulla. About 100m up the road from the route turn-off (it’s just past the under pass with the mural on your LHS). Noting that the Albergue has no cooking utensils, cutlery or plates. So think through your dinner choices.

Arrived just before 12:00. Right on 13:00 the Hospitalero opened shop. There is a buzzer, which I could have used, but was happy to sit for a while.

Beyond the lack of kitchen equip, this place has everything.

Took a shower, freezing cold…just as I was hopping out I thought to myself I think the waters getting warmer, or maybe I’m getting use to the cold….yep, it was warming up. Note to self, run it through 3 or 4 times if it’s cold to see if HW comes through. Particularly if your the first or in my case only pilgrim. (You can’t adjust the temperature). It’s a very warm temp.

Didn’t pass or see any walking pilgrims today. 9 bicicleta pilgrims zoomed past early in the day.
Thanks for these. Many people at the Albergue there?

Thanks for these. Many people at the Albergue there?

Just me. It’s only 17km to Santiago, plus the lack of food nearby and no cooking utensils etc may put people off.

I carry a plastic knife/fork and spoon set (from flying tiger) plus a pocket knife with corkscrew.

If you can live with a salad, cheese, chorizos, salami etc meal or maybe a microwave dinner. With some bread. Then it’s a very good place to stay IMO.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Just me. It’s only 17km to Santiago, plus the lack of food nearby and no cooking utensils etc may put people off.

I carry a plastic knife/fork and spoon set (from flying tiger) plus a pocket knife with corkscrew.

If you can live with a salad, cheese, chorizos, salami etc meal or maybe a microwave dinner. With some bread. Then it’s a very good place to stay IMO.
Thanks much. I’m planning on it. In a couple weeks. Buen Camino

Update, 3 young German guys and a young Spanish lass have just arrived. It’s near 18:00 so not expecting many more.

Plenty of beds to choose from. Only 1 of the dormitories has been used.

Great to read of your Invierno. I walked it in May this year.
Though not your distances! :oops:

It's always interesting to read of others experiences.
For example, I met plenty of dogs, but none were a problem.
Luck of the draw maybe....... :rolleyes:

It's a stunning Camino though.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Happy memories, thanks for posting @Sidknee ! Nice to have photos of the new albergues - they look beautiful, especially Diamondi. Did you get photos in the church?

Couple of photos inside the church

Attachments

• IMG_2351.jpeg
    IMG_2351.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2349.jpeg
    IMG_2349.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2354.jpeg
    IMG_2354.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2355.jpeg
    IMG_2355.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2353.jpeg
    IMG_2353.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 29
Great to read of your Invierno. I walked it in May this year.
Though not your distances! :oops:

It's always interesting to read of others experiences.
For example, I met plenty of dogs, but none were a problem.
Luck of the draw maybe....... :rolleyes:

It's a stunning Camino though.

Agree Robo

I hope people are not put off by 1 day (and it was only 1 day’s) bad experience with a couple dogs.

It is a beautiful walk. Tough in parts, absolutely. Infrastructure limited in parts, sure, but it looks like it’s developing. A bit of forward planning needed to stay in Albergues, yes. Meals require some forethought at times.

Is it like the Francés, no. But that’s the charm and appeal.

PS have enjoyed your YouTube channel

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Someone asked how many Caminos there are. In last nights Albergue came across this list.
Actually, that map is my go-to source to start camino dreaming for the next year. Ivar sells it in his store and it is fabulous.

Agree with VN that the inside of Diomondi is beautiful. How crazy would it be to walk the Invierno a fourth time just so I could finally get inside that church????!!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Actually, that map is my go-to source to start camino dreaming for the next year. Ivar sells it in his store and it is fabulous.

Agree with VN that the inside of Diomondi is beautiful. How crazy would it be to walk the Invierno a fourth time just so I could finally get inside that church????!!!!
Hi @peregrina2000 the young Hospitalera has a key to the church and is happy to let you in, show you around and explain some of the history.

I’m thinking I’m feeling maybe another Invierno bubbling away in someone’s think…?

Camino Invierno - Day 9 Outeiro to Santiago de Compostela.

The Final Day of what has been an extremely enjoyable walk. Ambled the last 17km into SdC on a cool and overcast day.

It starts well with continuation of country side walking, sadly, all to quickly you’re in SdC and walking through the paved streets towards the Cathedral.

Who and why put that last hill into this route?

The closer you get to town the fewer “Buen Día/Buenas Días/Buen Camino” greetings. People seem too busy going about their day.

And then it’s over. Your in Praza do Obradoiro before you know it

It’s time to do those usual final day (for me at least) obligatory things.
1. Walk through the arch where the Galician bagpipe player is playing
2. Sit in the square for 30 minutes or so, catching up with a couple of other hikers
3. Head off to the Pilgrims Office to pick up Compostela(s)
4. Café con leche, zumo naturales y también un croissant (is it my imagination or are they getting bigger each year?)
5. Back to accommodation (SP55) to checkin, shower and sort through washing
6. Off to the laundromat. Everything gets a proper wash….
7. A visit to the Cathedral
8. Lunch and some beers; and then
9. The reflections.

The conversation turns quickly to what will we do on Wednesday - Camino Ingles or SdC/Muxia/Fisterra/SdC. It’s agreed, the Ingles it is.

Then one final ritual. As the night ends a visit to the shadow of the Pilgrim past.

IMG_2553.jpegIMG_2555.jpegIMG_2558.jpegIMG_2560.jpegIMG_2563.jpegIMG_2565.jpegIMG_2579.jpegIMG_2580.jpegIMG_2582.jpeg691de6ea-3405-4d34-ae21-da4f1cabbe84.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The summary and some stats.

Accommodation pre - Camino - San Nicholas Albergue - Donativo (€15)

Day 1 - Ponferrada to Las Médulas - 28km
Accommodation Las Médulas - Hotel Medulio (€45)

Pilgrims - nil

Day 2 - Las Médulas to O Barco de Valdeorras - 27km
Accommodation O Barco - Albergue de Peregrinos Xagoaza (€10)

Pilgrims - nil

Day 3 - O Barco de Valdeorras to Quiroga - 42km

Accommodation Hostal Quiper (€38 - shared 2 people)

Pilgrims - nil

Day 4 - Quiroga to A Pobra do Brollón - 23km

Accommodation Albergue A Pobra do Brollón (€16.50)

Pilgrims - 5

Day 5 - A Pobra do Brollón to San Paio de Diomondi - 35km

Accommodation Albergue de Peregrinos de Diomondi (€8)

Pilgrims - 7

Day 6 - San Paio de Diomondi to Rodeiro - 36km

Accommodation Hostal y Albergue Carpinterías - €13.50

Pilgrims - 7

Day 7 - Rodeiro to Silleda - 38km

Accommodation Albergue Trabazo (€17.55)

Pilgrims - 15 Pilgrims

Day 8 - Silleda to Outeiro - 25km

Accommodation Albergue de Peregrinos de Outeiro (€8)

Pilgrims - 8

Day 9 - Outeiro to Santiago de Compostela - 17km

Accommodation SP55 (€20-€23 per night)

Pilgrims - nil on the road until I was within 5km of SdC, then plenty.

Although SdC has seemed to be very quiet these past few days(?)

Buen Camino

Thanks for bringing us along, @Sidknee. Though the pilgrim numbers may seem small to you, the Invierno is definitely on the up and up. I have only seen two other pilgrims (TOTAL) on my three Inviernos (well, on two of them I was walking part way with one other pilgrim, so I guess that brings the total to 4 on three caminos).

I think the sweet spot is still a few years off, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see this route become as popular as the Primitivo.

Hope you enjoy your Camino Inglés!

I shall be heading off for this autumn's walk in 24 days: Madrid to Sahagun, the Frances to Ponferrada then the Invierno to Santiago. I was delighted to get some perspective on this year's Invierno. It is my favourite camino and I am looking forward to a first view of the inside of the new albergue at Diomondi, especially the church. I must say that I was relieved to hear of the lack of pilgrim crowds on this route. Long may it last (a purely selfish reflection).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Couple of photos inside the church
Thanks for the photos. We saw the Diamondi church in mid Sept, and I'd love to see inside, plus ...
... would be fun to stay in the albergue next door. Oh dear, I'm now dreaming about the Invierno again (for 3rd time) after only one month! That's crazy, right?

I hope people are not put off by 1 day (and it was only 1 day’s) bad experience with a couple dogs.
No bad dog experiences at all for me/us this time, and I was expecting them after some problems for me and others in 2018. The 2018 mastiff in Villavieja and the others at Barxa do Lor seem to have been sorted. In fact, I feel the local people along the Invierno are so supportive of having this camino route that they are controlling problems as they arise, as happens when a route becomes more popular.

In 2018 there were only one or maybe two albergues the whole way, now there are many., plus other accom options. Thanks for posting photos of them @Sidknee... most helpful.

Congrats and buen camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the photos. We saw the Diamondi church in mid Sept, and I'd love to see inside, plus ...

... would be fun to stay in the albergue next door. Oh dear, I'm now dreaming about the Invierno again (for 3rd time) after only one month! That's crazy, right?

No bad dog experiences at all for me/us this time, and I was expecting them after some problems for me and others in 2018. The 2018 mastiff in Villavieja and the others at Barxa do Lor seem to have been sorted. In fact, I feel the local people along the Invierno are so supportive of having this camino route that they are controlling problems as they arise, as happens when a route becomes more popular.

In 2018 there were only one or maybe two albergues the whole way, now there are many., plus other accom options. Thanks for posting photos of them @Sidknee... most helpful.

Congrats and buen camino.
Only 1 bad dog in Villavieja in Sept 2023 for me..it was untethered so I watched and clicked and pointed sticks as he came after I passed him the first time...

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Folks can anyone advise about the ease. or lack of ease. of pack transport along the Invierno route? Many Thanks Michael.
We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back