• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Wise Pilgrim Guides: Primitivo

Silvermomma

VP 2021 CP 2022 CF 2023
Time of past OR future Camino
VP 2021 CP 2022 CF 2023
Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the kindle edition I would be reading it on my phone, so maybe I should get the print edition (how light is it?) and the app (already have). Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The text is theoretically the same. Although, of course, some will be more or less up-to-date than others:
- the print edition will be up to date as of when it was sent to the presses
- the kindle edition will be up-to-date as of when it was downloaded
- the website (and online guide on this forum) and the app should be right up to date.

The print edition will be as easy to read as a book. The downside is it takes up space and has weight for you to carry.

The kindle edition means reading on your phone but takes no space and has no weight. For me, that tends to make books worth reading on my phone on Caminos. But for others, the balance is different.

The app has the bonus of more useful maps, especially since they show where you are at the moment while on the Camino, allowing you to confirm at a glance whenever you are worried that you are on Camino. And if you find you are not, see exactly how to get back onto the Camino. For me, that's worth the price of admission itself. It also has the neat WhatsApp wizard to help you communicate with albergues via WhatsApp even if you don't know Spanish. It also has the comments from other pilgrims. I'm not sure if those are in the printed guide or Kindle version.

I'm sure @wisepilgrim can correct me if I got anything wrong.

Presuming the information is the same, the app is going to be a better option than the kindle for phone version, as navigation will be much easier as well as the advantages mentioned by David above. In general, an app is designed to be used on your phone while an ebook is a file designed to be printed and made into a real book, and that’s quite a difference.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The text is theoretically the same. Although, of course, some will be more or less up-to-date than others:
- the print edition will be up to date as of when it was sent to the presses
- the kindle edition will be up-to-date as of when it was downloaded
- the website (and online guide on this forum) and the app should be right up to date.

The print edition will be as easy to read as a book. The downside is it takes up space and has weight for you to carry.

The kindle edition means reading on your phone but takes no space and has no weight. For me, that tends to make books worth reading on my phone on Caminos. But for others, the balance is different.

The app has the bonus of more useful maps, especially since they show where you are at the moment while on the Camino, allowing you to confirm at a glance whenever you are worried that you are on Camino. And if you find you are not, see exactly how to get back onto the Camino. For me, that's worth the price of admission itself. It also has the neat WhatsApp wizard to help you communicate with albergues via WhatsApp even if you don't know Spanish. It also has the comments from other pilgrims. I'm not sure if those are in the printed guide or Kindle version.

I'm sure @wisepilgrim can correct me if I got anything wrong.
Presuming the information is the same, the app is going to be a better option than the kindle for phone version, as navigation will be much easier as well as the advantages mentioned by David above. In general, an app is designed to be used on your phone while an ebook is a file designed to be printed and made into a real book, and that’s quite a difference.
Thank you both. I've been playing around with the app and that's probably all I need. Although I do love books. :)

Can someone please describe the difference between the Wise Pilgrim print edition, the kindle edition, and the app for the Camino Primitivo? I mean up-to-date info, ease of use, etc. If I got the kindle edition I would be reading it on my phone, so maybe I should get the print edition (how light is it?) and the app (already have). Thanks!
I got the print edition out of personal preference. I don't like staring at my phone and have found internet to be sketchy in various stretches of different caminos. The print guide is very thin. I like it.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When using the app do you need to have internet ? I thought I’d put my phone in airplane mode to save battery while I’m walking.

You can download the map to operate ‘offline’ IIRC

Correct. On the Wise Pilgrim app tap the menu symbol at the top, then "Download Offline Map."

Screenshot_20240314_102143_Frances.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.