• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Woo hoo - I get to go!

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
I've been dreaming and planning walking the Camino Francis for almost two years now. During that time I've been trying to figure out how I can possibly get enough time off of work, as I want to walk the entire route. Part of me was resigned to the possibility I wouldn't be able to get the time off, and I'd have to wait until retirement, as many others have done.

So I had a heart-to-heart talk with my VP and CEO, and they've just advised that my request has been approved. I have 7 full weeks off in May/June 2023. While I was hoping to do it in 2022, waiting until 2023 made it more difficult for my bosses to say no :).

Now it's real. Not just theoretical, or a bucket list item to dream about. I've got about 18 months to learn Spanish, and to continue anticipating.

Sorry for the pointless post, but I just got the news and I'm bursting. See you out there in spring 2023!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Congratulations! You can use that time and the goal to do both the Spanish study and physical training, both of which can only do you good! It is especially good that you will have 7 full weeks off - that gives you lots of flexibility.

Congratulations! You can use that time and the goal to do both the Spanish study and physical training, both of which can only do you good! It is especially good that you will have 7 full weeks off - that gives you lots of flexibility.
I know 7 weeks aren't required, but my bosses don't... :). I need a buffer in there as I know I won't be ready to return to work immediately after. I want at least a week to process things before I return to the real world. And I want the flexibility to stop along the way if I so desire. 7 weeks = 51 days off work. I was tempted to ask for 8 weeks but didn't want to push my luck.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Good for you @JustJack ...so happy for you!
Very wise to allow a 're-integration' buffer at the end. 2012 was my first Camino & my initiation to long distance walking.
I pushed my luck & was able to get 6 weeks off work. Right from Day 1 (setting off from SJPdP), I KNEW it was going to be an extraordinary experience so I didn't rush & savoured every aspect.
This left me no time at the end & I had to depart the day after arriving in SdC thinking it was no biggie, but I was caught completely unawares of the impact the Camino would have. What followed in the weeks I returned home is well known to many on this Forum...the PCB (Post Camino Blues)...now that was a rough path to negotiate. 😢
Best wishes..hope you can maintain your current level of enthusiasm during the long wait!
👣 🌏

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Good plan Just Jack! I am from a Gulf Island near you. In 2018 I took 7 weeks. It took a day to get off my island to ensure my flight the next day. Flew all day. Lost a day to travel and time zones. Train strike meant instead of a train to SJPdP, I took a bus to Orly, flew to Biarritz, bussed to Bayonne, stayed overnight, then bussed to SJPdP! Those in Europe luckily don’t need 4 days to get to the start line 😉!! That will give you a good buffer to walk it, with a few days to stop and explore in Burgos, Leon, or wherever strikes your fancy along the way, and continue to the coast if you like, or plant yourself somewhere to contemplate your navel after your Camino. My 2020 return was derailed and I too am hopeful for May/June 2023. Fingers crossed. Happy planning!

Sorry for the pointless post, but I just got the news and I'm bursting. See you out there in spring 2023!
Your post is a lot of things, but certainly not pointless. Your camino has begun, @JustJack !

And since you have the time, you can explore the possibility of taking one of the routes to Santiago that take off from the Francés: the Manzanal, the Invierno, and even the San Salvador/Primitivo. The first two back to back would be an ideal alternative route to Santiago from Astorga, should you be wanting some solitude.
I know 7 weeks aren't required, but my bosses don't... :). I need a buffer in there as I know I won't be ready to return to work immediately after. I want at least a week to process things before I return to the real world
Very wise. I like to spend a fair amount of time in Santiago, just digesting what just happened, while still being in a pilgrim-friendly environment.

Bien camino, peregrino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Having the buffer is excellent. You don't need to have return flights booked, so you're no longer walking to a schedule. I felt it made a big difference on my first Camino. Sure, you may not get the cheapest flights back but.... for a break that's been three years in the planning and is still 18 months away? Factor it in to the overall cost.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've been dreaming and planning walking the Camino Francis for almost two years now. During that time I've been trying to figure out how I can possibly get enough time off of work, as I want to walk the entire route. Part of me was resigned to the possibility I wouldn't be able to get the time off, and I'd have to wait until retirement, as many others have done.

So I had a heart-to-heart talk with my VP and CEO, and they've just advised that my request has been approved. I have 7 full weeks off in May/June 2023. While I was hoping to do it in 2022, waiting until 2023 made it more difficult for my bosses to say no :).

Now it's real. Not just theoretical, or a bucket list item to dream about. I've got about 18 months to learn Spanish, and to continue anticipating.

I am genuinely thrilled for you ! Really ! My first Camino was life-altering I’m a positive way.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Congratulations! It just proves that you never know until you ask! It worked for me in 2016. I was able to put together 8 weeks off and avoid any pesky paperwork with vacation carryover from a previous year, a bit of extra weekend work during the year and borrowing a few vacation days from the next year. Could have taken 30 days without pay but paid was far better! Allowed me 53 glorious days in Spain. Buen Camino!

Well it sounds like your already in the spirit of the Camino. 7 weeks is great. You should not have to rush any plans, you have time to study guide books and ask questions on this forum. That way you can be sure to take in all the sites you would care to see. Also the experiences of a lifetime. Buen Camino

Not sure if learning Spanish has begun but I have been studying, daily now, for nearly 1,000 days on Duolingo. But the best recommendation I can offer is to look up, "Camino Spanish," in any browser and see what comes up. I know there is a short series on Youtube but there may be other hits.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Excited for you! Before you know it, 2023 will be knocking at your door!

Well congratulations on your committment for your Camino!
I rarely write on blogs or forums, but wanted to impart a piece of wisdom I have gathered on my four Camino. The first two Frances I did absolutely no research and carried no electronic device except for an iPod. The only reference material I had was John Brierley‘s book. No telephone, no electronic devices end it afforded the opportunity to Be free of the encumbrances of the 21st-century. On the third/fourth Caminos, the frances again and Via I had an old phone with voice over Internet phone capabilities. No apps, just analog. The first few days were tough not having the ability to solve all my problems electronically. But after a few days my Spanish got better, I spent more time with my head up looking around, made more friends, and eliminated the constant stream of news, Facebook, Instagram, emails, and really could focus on my journey as a pilgrim. For 2000 years people have been walking this without an app. these forums are awesome but what I have found overtime when I talk to other pilgrims is they have a preconceived idea formed by too much time doing research/and rely on apps. Learn Spanish, train physically and let the Camino take you where it will knowing that you are divinely guided.

Well congratulations on your committment for your Camino!
I rarely write on blogs or forums, but wanted to impart a piece of wisdom I have gathered on my four Camino. The first two Frances I did absolutely no research and carried no electronic device except for an iPod. The only reference material I had was John Brierley‘s book. No telephone, no electronic devices end it afforded the opportunity to Be free of the encumbrances of the 21st-century. On the third/fourth Caminos, the frances again and Via I had an old phone with voice over Internet phone capabilities. No apps, just analog. The first few days were tough not having the ability to solve all my problems electronically. But after a few days my Spanish got better, I spent more time with my head up looking around, made more friends, and eliminated the constant stream of news, Facebook, Instagram, emails, and really could focus on my journey as a pilgrim. For 2000 years people have been walking this without an app. these forums are awesome but what I have found overtime when I talk to other pilgrims is they have a preconceived idea formed by too much time doing research/and rely on apps. Learn Spanish, train physically and let the Camino take you where it will knowing that you are divinely guided.
Great advice. And I'm very conscious of the potential danger of over-researching, and trying not to go in that direction. Although I've spent countless hours during the pandemic watching youtube videos of the camino, I would say those are more for inspiration as opposed to planning. I will deal with the practicalities of planning much closer to my departure. And I know I'm probably overdoing the youtube thing, but I can't resist as it helps feed my anticipation.

I'm also hoping to avoid relying too heavily on an internet connection and apps. I work in digital marketing, so my natural instinct is to pull out my phone and google everything. The compromise I'm planning on striking is this:
- carry an iphone, and use it to make sleeping reservations
- avoid looking any any emails
- check my phone once each day for emergency text messages
- no phone calls or facetime, even to my wife and daughter, unless it's an emergency
- my only connection to people back home will be one daily Facebook post with a few photos. I'm not a Facebook user at all, but it's a platform that most family member use, so that's where I'll post a daily update so everyone knows I'm alive and well.

That's the plan anyway. I absolutely do not want to experience the camino via my phone screen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I know about the time off problem. I asked for 6 weeks off for Sept/2022 and received approval to go. I will turn 64 on Sept 1 2022 and hopefully I can take my first step on the trail that exact day.Then the next year I will be retired and than the time restraints will not be there if I decided to do another Camino. The 7 weeks off sound good though because with my 6 weeks I will have to go back to work fairly quickly upon return to Canada, especially if I go to Finisterre which I really want to do. I've been waiting two years also so giddy up and lets go. Lol.

I can definitely understand the extreme happiness! I have had to postpone mine 6 times for several reasons mainly family medical issues. As long as COVID does not ruin plans for 2022, I will also be there mid May to very late June.

- check my phone once each day for emergency text messages
- no phone calls or facetime, even to my wife and daughter, unless it's an emergency
In a life or death emergency you will want as much notice as you can get. One way you can handle this is to get a Spanish SIM and give the number only to a select few for emergency use only. Then you can leave the phone on. You may end up getting texts from your provider though so just answer calls. At the end of the day switch SIMs (easy if you have a dual SIM phone).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

That's really cool news! Now you have time to plan and watch utube videos of people who have gone before. Very fun. You can learn alot of spanish In That time but you really don't need alot of Spanish to have a great camino. Learn a handful of phrases such as I'm lost, where is the nearest super Mercado, sore foot where is the pharmacy, more vino please. I need a bed for tonight. How much further too ......? May I have another tortia please. Where can I get breakfast. Where is the nearest atm. What is your name, where are you from? Would you carry my backpack for a few miles 🤣.
Seriously I would spend much of the next year walking and hiking alot. If you can carry a 15-20 lb backpack for 10-15 miles day after day and still be happy then your camino will be awesome. Also I would suggest researching points of Interest along the way that you might otherwise miss. Have a great time planning this life changing adventure! Buen camino

Delighted for you!
I think you are going to find the time slowly passes by, then starts to speed up as your departure month nears.
You seem to be planning well and now have lots of time to ask questions and prepare for your trip (I know, you've already spent time preparing). But now it is real.
I've happy and excited for you. Looking forward to good conversations from you on this forum during the coming year.

Not a pointless post at all - I totally understand your excitement

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know I won't be ready to return to work immediately after
I also know that feeling. Even though not working, I needed about five days in and around Compostela to work through my feelings and revisit the reason I had started this pilgrimage. And it will be much the same should I complete my pilgrimage to Rome in 2022 (or will it be 2023?).

And you have quite a bit of time to prepare.

You have not mentioned this. One assumption is that, being from BC, you have an endless supply of opportunities to get physically and mentally fit for 30 or so days of wake up, get going, stop for coffee and lunch, arrive for the day, wash and clean clothes and gear, dress for the morrow, go to sleep.

On physical fitness I strongly suggest going up and down hills (with all the stuff you intend to take) until an elevation gain (or descent, or both) of 1,000 metres in a morning (or day) is easy peasy. There are three such events on the Frances: Pyrenees, Astorga to Ponferrada and the ascent into Galicia. And quite a few lesser events: such as after Pamplona and after Sarria.

For me, finding mental fitness was a novelty, at first. But it translated, in part, into judging when to continue or when to stop for the day. And for me, this further translated into not booking ahead.

I give these as no more than examples for your consideration.

In due course, I look forward to reading of your successes.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui (be strong, confident and patient)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
If you are planning to start a Camino in October 2024, you are invited to add a post to this thread – scroll down to the last post, and create a new post giving your expected start date, start...
Hi, this is Nils from Tenerife. I'm excited to start my very first camino - let's see what it will bring! 😍 For me, this journey is very much like an inwardly guided shamanic ceremony, following...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.