• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would a shemagh be useful on the Camino?

Stephen

Time of past OR future Camino
Twice walked from St Jean to Estella and once from Sarria to Santiago. Maybe someday I'll find the time to do the entire walk.
I've found the time. Just completed SJPP to Santiago. 25 Aug to 1st Oct, 2016.
And now the Portuguese from Lisbon.
It's a large scarf worn by people in the Middle East.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes. I used a scarf last Camino on both cold and hot days, to protect me from the cold wind, and to protect me from the sun.
It's also good coming from the shower, and as a coverup.

I used a bright purple patterned 117gr rayon sarong on my previous camino. I'd sprayed it with permethrin and would use it to mark my bunk, or wrap the pillow if no pillowcase, as a belt to make my Macabi and hiking t-shirts look a little "dressier" and as a curtain separating me from my bunk neighbor. Found an even lighter weight one I'm bringing this year. (on Amazon for $3 so if I want to give it away or leave it somewhere, no loss)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I could certainly have used one on a few very hot days. In fact I looked in a few shops for a suitable piece of fabric, but couldn't really find anything :(

I made do with a wide brimmed hat that had a neck flap. And lightweight gloves.........I saved putting on sunblock all the time. My hands got burnt in the first few days.

I found some interesting videos on how to wear a Shemagh though..... A very versatile bit of head gear!

Most of the videos were made by survivalist/military types, but this one is a good demo.

Just as an aside. I wore long sleeves and long pants all the way. Saw lots of sunburn on those who didn't and forgot to apply sunblock :oops:

Lazy and safe............just cover up ;)

Thanks Mister Rob for the link to the video (good information). Muchas gracias, Sir, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

I find the shemagh to be too large and heavy for what your needs would be on the camino. And being cotton (aren't they all mostly cotton?) it would take a long time to dry of it gets wet and too bulky for the packpack. This being said I always walk with my faithful silk meditation scarf. Serves also as a blanky on long bus rides to my starting point, extra warmth on cold nights.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I find the shemagh to be too large and heavy for what your needs would be on the camino. And being cotton (aren't they all mostly cotton?) it would take a long time to dry of it gets wet and too bulky for the packpack. This being said I always walk with my faithful silk meditation scarf. Serves also as a blanky on long bus rides to my starting point, extra warmth on cold nights.

I agree cotton would be too bulky and take too long to dry. I was looking for a lighter material but never really found anything whilst walking.

I used a bright purple patterned 117gr rayon sarong on my previous camino. I'd sprayed it with permethrin and would use it to mark my bunk, or wrap the pillow if no pillowcase, as a belt to make my Macabi and hiking t-shirts look a little "dressier" and as a curtain separating me from my bunk neighbor. Found an even lighter weight one I'm bringing this year. (on Amazon for $3 so if I want to give it away or leave it somewhere, no loss)
My lightest sarong is 207g, but I have a large 46" in square scarf (91g) I was planning to bring. It wouldn't be suitable to wear from the shower, though. I'm not sure I'd wear one anyway, but would it be more practical to look for something I could also wear?

Thank you Robo for the video, it was really useful.

I'm planning to take a large scarf (not shemaq though) and wear it as sun protection. Is it appropriate to walk around in a scarf if only the eyes are visible? I know in France it's not allowed to cover your face in public, how about Spain?

I would only wear the scarf ninja-style on the sunniest parts of the Camino (mountains, meseta), not the villages and towns. I'm allergic to sunscreen lotions and I'm very pale, so I burn easily. I thought a scarf would be the best option to protect myself from the sun. I've also been thinking about bringing an umbrella, but it's heavy and won't work in windy weather.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It wouldn't be suitable to wear from the shower, though.
Maybe it was just my luck with the places I stayed, but I never had the occasion to have to walk anywhere from the shower with any but my new fresh change of clothes on.

Maybe it was just my luck with the places I stayed, but I never had the occasion to have to walk anywhere from the shower with any but my new fresh change of clothes on.
That is exactly what I was going to say. You normally change right in the shower stall, or if it's not built for that, then in the bathroom itself. So you are fully dressed by the time you leave the bathroom.

Do you have a link to the Amazon sarong??

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nanumea, you can buy umbrellas that are claimed to be wind proof. Whether they are or not is another matter.

Thank you Robo for the video, it was really useful.

I'm planning to take a large scarf (not shemaq though) and wear it as sun protection. Is it appropriate to walk around in a scarf if only the eyes are visible? I know in France it's not allowed to cover your face in public, how about Spain?

I would only wear the scarf ninja-style on the sunniest parts of the Camino (mountains, meseta), not the villages and towns. I'm allergic to sunscreen lotions and I'm very pale, so I burn easily. I thought a scarf would be the best option to protect myself from the sun. I've also been thinking about bringing an umbrella, but it's heavy and won't work in windy weather.

in 2014 I met quite many ninja-dressed pilgrims (Korean?). I firmly believe in thermoactive fabrics, so I went with a coolmax extreme buff, which helps to cool down the skin upon excessive heat and has good UV protection.

in Finland you may check out in the closest Partioaitta outlet products like these:
http://www.partioaitta.fi/sea-to-summit-the-mullet
http://www.partioaitta.fi/euroschirm-swing

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back