• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portable bidet - would you use it?

JustJack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF: May/June 2023
VDLP: April/May 2024
This is a question for those that have had to make a roadside stop on your Camino to do a #2.

There’s a lot of concern about the mess of toilet tissue littering the trail. I’ve read lots of posts from people advising the proper way to pack your used tissues out and dispose of them properly. Understandably many people are a bit grossed out by the notion of doing that. But probably all recognize that keeping the path clean is an important responsibility we all share.

So what about a small portable bidet. A small plastic bottle you fill with water that has a spout that allows you to direct a spray of water to clean yourself. No paper needed.

Would you use it?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jack, No, I wouldn't use this device. But I agree with you that not leaving waste or litter of any kind is an important - and obvious - responsibility - not just on the Camino, but everywhere.

There have been lots of threads on the forum about this but I honestly think it's not that difficult. I'm not grossed out by taking my waste with me. I pick up after my dogs, after all. And they kindly let me take a few rolls of doggie bags with me in my backpack. That and a tissue or rag is all that's required. Plus some hand sanitiser. I'm far more grossed out by seeing toilet paper and other litter in the great outdoors.

Damn, I've broken my own rule about never commenting on toilet threads!! Be warned Jack, they sometimes go on for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So what about a small portable bidet. A small plastic bottle you fill with water that has a spout that allows you to direct a spray of water to clean yourself. No paper needed.

Would you use it?

In many parts of the World, that would be considered quite normal.
A regular single use water bottle is often used.......
I won't go into details about using the correct hand...... :rolleyes:

But wet wipes and a ziplock bag are probably easier......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why not? A couple of quotes from a very quick internet search:
Washing with water is a much more effective and long-lasting way of cleaning, and removes more germs and bacteria than paper

it takes up to 37 gallons of water to make a single roll of toilet paper

I used water travelling in Asia - no alternative - wouldn’t be hard to get used to.
The only downside is the weight of the extra water

Last edited:
Washing with water is a much more effective and long-lasting way of cleaning, and removes more germs and bacteria than paper

I used water travelling in Asia - no alternative - wouldn’t be hard to get used to.
The only downside is the weight
Completely agree with you when talking about one’s home a not much better than a pumpgun in the bathroom.

But on the trail? With limited options to hide away for longer? Trying to cut down on weight? Not so sure about that. Plus, as Janet points out, lots of potential for creating a mess.

The only downside is the weight
I can understand the potential benefits for the planet of reducing the use of toilet paper - in which case the far greater impact would be to use this method at home - not just when travelling. But it’s not for me on the Camino 😎

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rather than carrying the weight of the water or a supply of wipes or supply of doggie bags and TP, I use bandanna squares that I wash out with my laundry at night. Super easy, super light. I also have a bandanna for a hanky instead of tissues, cause something on the CF makes my nose run from morning til night. If I had to use tissues, I would go through 100 a day.

Getting technical here, but you still need something to wash your hands with after...a spritz of water is useless without soap and then a towel and heavier. It would be a lot better to buy a coffee and use the toilet in the next town...or carry a couple of packaged hand wipes in your pocket on an emergency.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
So many things are merely cultural, not better or right. So much cleaner. There are a lot of countries where the plumbing can't handle toilet paper and this solves the problem of the reeking trash can next to the toilet. Here is a little cap that you can put on most standard water bottles. Super lightweight and convenient.

Getting technical here, but you still need something to wash your hands with after...a spritz of water is useless without soap and then a towel and heavier. It would be a lot better to buy a coffee and use the toilet in the next town...or carry a couple of packaged hand wipes in your pocket on an emergency.
I agree, waiting to use the actual toilet facilities is better. But if you can't, then a "spritz of water" is just as good as dabbing at yourself with a dry piece of paper. Better, in my opinion (and much of the rest of the world). And people don't use soap after drying themselves off with toilet paper, so why would you need to with a bidet? If you have ever used one, people customarily just rinse off.

Naturally waiting until the next town is better, but that's not the point of this thread, is it. Sometimes you suddenly find that you simply can't wait.
The question was would you use this or not and clearly your answer is no.

Packaged hand wipes are also not a good solution from an environmental perspective. Potentially worse as they come in their own individual packet and as I understand it take longer to degrade.

Personally I've carried a part roll of toilet paper, with a mini hotel soap tucked into the cardboard roll since I first started backpacking 40 years ago. There's one in my daypack - which I carry daily - right now. Even in everyday life you sometimes find public toilets with no toilet paper/soap!

On the trail -yes, I still wish to wash my hands afterwards, regardless of which method I use, however that would be no harder with the OPs solution above.
And you don't NEED a towel. Although most of us are actually carrying them anyway

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is a question for those that have had to make a roadside stop on your Camino to do a #2.

There’s a lot of concern about the mess of toilet tissue littering the trail. I’ve read lots of posts from people advising the proper way to pack your used tissues out and dispose of them properly. Understandably many people are a bit grossed out by the notion of doing that. But probably all recognize that keeping the path clean is an important responsibility we all share.

Would you use it?
No and unnecessary weight. I used a pee pad, most are infused with something or other and cost about £10. Mine’s a square and has poppers and you just attach it to your back pack and wash out each night. I think it’s called piss off or something, am out so can’t look. Worked really well for me and still using one on all my hikes. Was appalled at the amount of tissue on the Frances, and really must be us women mainly to blame? Bag it or get a pee pad please.

So many things are merely cultural, not better or right. So much cleaner. There are a lot of countries where the plumbing can't handle toilet paper and this solves the problem of the reeking trash can next to the toilet. Here is a little cap that you can put on most standard water bottles. Super lightweight and convenient.

I agree, waiting to use the actual toilet facilities is better. But if you can't, then a "spritz of water" is just as good as dabbing at yourself with a dry piece of paper. Better, in my opinion (and much of the rest of the world). And people don't use soap after drying themselves off with toilet paper, so why would you need to with a bidet? If you have ever used one, people customarily just rinse off.
Yes talking about for my hands with the soap and water. I'd prefer a cleansing towelette for either end and then put it in a bag to throw away later. Better than me walking around with wet pants the rest of the day afterwards. Yes, I am fine if you have and want to use a bidet at home, but on the road, no thank you.

Yes talking about for my hands with the soap and water. I'd prefer a cleansing towelette for either end and then put it in a bag to throw away later. Better than me walking around with wet pants the rest of the day afterwards. Yes, I am fine if you have and want to use a bidet at home, but on the road, no thank you.
This way you really have no contact with anything as it’s got a sort of handle. Anyway a splash of water would do.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Oh, I would, and I do! It makes life so much less sh*tty. :) It weighs very little. The water in it can come from a stream, etc. since you're not getting it inside of you (of course you'll go far from said water source to do your business).

A lifesaver some days. I use a small backpacker towel (this is its only use) to dry my now-clean nethers.

I have a toilet-seat bidet at home, and when I travel and don't remember to carry the pocket-bidet, I am always sorry and home-sick.

Last year I bought a set of four of these bottle-top bidet spigots... I don't like them as well as the Brondell bottle, which has an inlet valve on its bottle to make it easy to squeeze all the water out under the same pressure.

I tried to give a few away as gifts to my walking companions... the only taker was one of my French friends.

Absolutely not.

I actually ordered a bidet for my toilet when I thought I was going to have shoulder surgery last month.
I didn't pay for the one you hook up to hot water.
All I can say is "Brrrrr!"

That said, there are all the considerations people have listed including the extra weight of the water you'd have to carry, and a way of washing your hands.

Honestly folks, it's not that hard to train your gut to do your pooping in the morning before you leave or at the first bar you reach. Do it before the trip. Most of the waste along the trail is TP from WOMEN peeing, anyway. I don't see a lot of feces, thank God!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I actually ordered a bidet for my toilet when I thought I was going to have shoulder surgery last month.
I didn't pay for the one you hook up to hot water.
All I can say is "Brrrrr!"

Ah, but that "brrrr" is refreshing when one has any condition that causes a burning sensation. You get used to it quickly.

Well maybe I just have a hot... tuchus.

Honestly folks, it's not that hard to train your gut to do your pooping in the morning before you leave or at the first bar you reach. Do it before the trip. Most of the waste along the trail is TP from WOMEN peeing, anyway. I don't see a lot of feces, thank God!
Actually … training your gut to do things differently from what it is used to can actually be much harder than you think. Also, for some people changing daily rhythm and type of food also has some major impact on their digestive system.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Actually … training your gut to do things differently from what it is used to can actually be much harder than you think. Also, for some people changing daily rhythm and type of food also has some major impact on their digestive system.
Right, if your gut is "trained" to your home time zone, but you are 8 time zones away it can take time to adjust. That said, unless it's a dire emergency, there will usually be a town within an hour's walk if you are on the Camino Francés.

Ok. Whatever.
Use the toilet in the albergue or find a bar.
Most adults can control their bowels long enough to do one or the other.

It is interesting to see so little support for the portable bidet when, actually, this is the most practical solution. I started using one all the time, even at home, during COVID lockdown when there was a TP shortage. I continue to use my little bidet bottle at home and when traveling. The spay is directed and there is no mess or waste paper to deal with. If a fellow pilgrim offered me one of those bidet bottle tops, I would be thrilled! Those who poo-poo (pun intended) the idea have probably never tried it and don’t know what they’re missing.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is interesting to see so little support for the portable bidet when, actually, this is the most practical solution. I started using one all the time, even at home, during COVID lockdown when there was a TP shortage. I continue to use my little bidet bottle at home and when traveling. The spay is directed and there is no mess or waste paper to deal with. If a fellow pilgrim offered me one of those bidet bottle tops, I would be thrilled! Those who poo-poo (pun intended) the idea have probably never tried it and don’t know what they’re missing.
I think for a female it might be ok, except for the weight of the extra water.
For a bowel movement, you'd still need something to dry with and frankly, it would be preferable if people do NOT have bowel movements along the trail. Use bars or do your business before you walk unless it's an emergency, in which case you probably haven't planned for it

Yes, I plan on using one, and I imagine it will be the most important thing in my pack behind my passport.
I thank you for this post and the links responders gave, as now I have some more options to try out in preparation.
I do hope I never have to use it on the trail, though.

Buen Camino, y’all.

Would you use it?
I seriously considered buying such an item a while ago but I read reviews carefully: the consensus of opinion seems to be that the power of the water stream is insufficient to do the job properly. As a female, I would be very worried about the possibility of contracting cystitis… And wouldn’t you still need to dry yourself…?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Would you use it?
Not wanting to get too graphic, but I'm not sure that a squirt of water from a water bottle would do the job ( no pun intended) after a #2. I feel the need for a wipe. I carry puppy poo bags & simply carry it all out.

Would you use it?
In fact, as a nomad most of my life, I've used one for years, even at home. I call it my American bidet. The bottle is the kind sold in beauty shops in the hair color section, used to apply hair dye. It's small, light when empty, and easy to use anywhere.
I just like feeling cleansed after "going".
That said, I also carry a supply of those small plastic bags used for doggy doo, so I can pack out the used TP when I'm hiking, and dispose of it in a garbage can when I see one. Because it's used basically to dry clean water from the privates, it isn't gross (or stinky) at all.

Or a small bottle of hand sanitizer

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Would you use it?
I walked the CF in May-Jun 2023 & used a pStyle stand to pee device. It is easy to use & eliminates the need for toilet paper. I strongly recommend that those who squat to pee embolden themselves and use one of these devices. It is more safe, more discreet & depending on the device you choose eliminates the paper trails.

I walked the CF in May-Jun 2023 & used a pStyle stand to pee device. It is easy to use & eliminates the need for toilet paper. I strongly recommend that those who squat to pee embolden themselves and use one of these devices. It is more safe, more discreet & depending on the device you choose eliminates the paper trails.
I agree. One of these devices is extremely liberating for women in al fresco settings!

Would you use it?
And then I’d need paper to dry myself . Take the paper with you in a paper bag - dispose of it all later in a toilet.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know this may sound naive but how do you use a bidet whether portable or permanently installed? This was not something I learned in my midwest US upbringing.

It's a funny Idea!

BUT,

For #1: no paper or water really needed...

For #2: 99,0% of the time (unless you've got a medical condition!) for a healthy adult on a popular route, there will be a toilet before you need to go to the bushes. Even in remote areas of France! And there, the next toilet might be 20k away...

For someone with a medical condition, who can't reach a toilet quickly enough, it might make sense. For most healthy pilgrims walking routes with toilets within reasonable distances, no need for gadgets like that.

Use a toilet before you start walking.
Use a toilet after you arrived.
Maybe use a toilet when you stop for a coffee or lunch.

No need for toilet paper at all then, and therefore no need to carry it out in a ziploc bag for those who are disgusted by the thought.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Count me in as another American who finally understood the practicality and feeling of clean of the bidet during the great TP shortage of 2020. I now have either a bidet seat or sprayer in each of my bathrooms.

That being said, squatting and spraying behind a bush without getting your pants/shorts wet and possibly dirty in the process requires a level of dexterity and coordination that I lack. Hence, I’m a wipes/baggie person when outdoors.

I find some of these scheduling remarks here illogical. I suspect that most people wouldn't put off using the toilet in the morning at their accommodations if they could. If they find themselves on the trail, it's because of how their bodies work, not conscious planning.

Telling people to adjust their bathroom schedules belies an understanding that everybody's body works differently, and everybody has different cultural norms and preferences. Just because you think it's the right way to behave doesn't mean someone else does.

My answer might be different if I were female, but to answer the OP, I wouldn't carry an extra piece of equipment with water weight to clean myself. I do carry an old cut-up quick-dry microfiber towel, small washcloth size to clean my privates if necessary, or sometimes if I am just sweaty. Easy to rinse out and wash with soap and water and quick drying. Also, I have TP.

Last edited:
I find some of these scheduling remarks here illogical. I suspect that most people wouldn't put off using the toilet in the morning at their accommodations if they could. If they find themselves on the trail, it's because of how their bodies work, not conscious planning.

Telling people to adjust their bathroom schedules belies an understanding that everybody's body works differently, and everybody has different cultural norms and preferences. Just because you think it's the right way to behave doesn't mean someone else does.

To answer the OP, I wouldn't carry an extra piece of equipment with water weight to clean myself. I do carry an old cut-up quick dry microfiber towel, small washcloth size to clean my privates if necessary or sometimes if I am just sweaty. Easy to rinse out and wash with soap and water and quick drying.

It is true that everybody has different bathroom habits and is used to different norms, culturally.

But generally, in a medical sense, 3 times/week to 3 times/ day is considered "normal" for passing stool. Sorry for being so explicit. What I meant is that if you po*p 3 times/day max, it is usually still possible to use a toilet for that on a route with good infrastructure.

If you find yourself needing a toilet and there isn't one available, of course, use what you're used to to clean up yourself (and the environment!). Whether you use a portable bidet, paper, microfiber cloth, some green leafs or yesterday's newspaper, and whether you use a ziploc to carry out or a shovel to dig a hole doesn't really matter. Just don't leave a mess and keep yourself clean also.

By the way, the body can usually adjust quite well to such "schedules". It's a matter of routine.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is true that everybody has different bathroom habits and is used to different norms, culturally.

But generally, in a medical sense, 3 times/week to 3 times/ day is considered "normal" for passing stool. Sorry for being so explicit. What I meant is that if you po*p 3 times/day max, it is usually still possible to use a toilet for that on a route with good infrastructure.

If you find yourself needing a toilet and there isn't one available, of course, use what you're used to to clean up yourself (and the environment!). Whether you use a portable bidet, paper, microfiber cloth, some green leafs or yesterday's newspaper, and whether you use a ziploc to carry out or a shovel to dig a hole doesn't really matter. Just don't leave a mess and keep yourself clean also.

By the way, the body can usually adjust quite well to such "schedules". It's a matter of routine.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

That's a pretty wide range, three times a week to three times a day. As I said, lots of different bodies. Kind of proves my point, actually.

Certainly, with effort, and by changing your diet to higher fiber or with the use of fiber supplements, you can induce bowel movements. Which is the info you get if you search for this subject online.

Myself, I am quite "routine", except when I switch time zones, and change my diet, which is what happens when I travel overseas. Other people mentioned this above, and after all, we are talking about people on the Camino.

That said, I believe I found adequate facilities on the Camino France. I don’t recall ever having a problem.

But to quote myself,

"Telling people to adjust their bathroom schedules belies an understanding that everybody's body works differently. "
☮️

Last edited:
So like my only experience with bidets like this has been in the Sierras in California. Two women I was hiking with sweared by them. As previously mentioned, less paper to carry out! Downside: they actually warmed water in the am using portable stoves before using. I think for #1, they actually just used "pee rags", which could be washed daily.

Lots of great responses, thanks everyone. And I've learned a few things.

- big difference of opinion regarding using a bidet depending on whether or not you've experienced using one in the past. Anyone who has spent time in Asia and used the "bum gun", or - better - spent time in Japan and used their high-tech toilet bidets, understands why using water to clean yourself is so much better than using dry paper.

- Silly me, I didn't think that the pieces of toilet paper I saw along the CF may have been mainly from women peeing. That makes perfect sense. I was wondering why pilgrims couldn't simply wait until the next bar if they had to go #2.

- Thanks for the link to the water bottle attachment. I see that what I was envisioning already exists... I was hoping I thought of something obvious that no one had thought of before, and I could go on Shark Tank and make million$. :cool:

For the record, I wouldn't use a portable bidet either. But that's simply because I wouldn't go #2 outside, so I would have no need for a portable bidet. I would however jump at the opportunity to install a Japanese toilet in my bathroom at home, so I'm pro-bidet.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you think about it, dry paper does not clean you very well. Better a cleaner damp hiney than a dirty dry one.
I was saying that even using water, I would then need to use tissue to
dry myself, and so the paper disposal problem would continue. I guess at least the paper would be clean and so easily stored in a disposable paper bag, that also gets dropped in a bin at a later date.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back