• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Would like thoughts of veteran pilgrims.

Mike JJ

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013), Camino Portuguese (2017), Camino Norte (2019)
Hi, I'm new to the forum.
I have walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to SdC (May/June) 2013) and from Porto to SdC ( Sept. 2017).
I loved walking the Camino Frances. In fact, I feel it "ruined" me for life;). I am thinking of walking the Camino Frances (fall 2019) starting from St. Jean and without following the guide book.
I know many of you have walked the Camino Frances multiple times. Did any of you feel "let down" the second time? Do you think it is better to walk a different route?
Also, what do you think about starting in St. Jean and then after a week, or so, going north to walk a section of the Camino Norte?
Thank you so much.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have walked the Camino Frances from Roncesvalles to SdC (May/June) 2013) and from Porto to SdC ( Sept. 2017).
I loved walking the Camino Frances. In fact, I feel it "ruined" me for life;). I am thinking of walking the Camino Frances (fall 2019) starting from St. Jean and without following the guide book.
I know many of you have walked the Camino Frances multiple times. Did any of you feel "let down" the second time? Do you think it is better to walk a different route?
Also, what do you think about starting in St. Jean and then after a week, or so, going north to walk a section of the Camino Norte?
Thank you so much.

I so know what you mean that the Camino "ruined" you for life. I feel like I've found what I'm meant to do, but I can't do it all the time!

My first and second Caminos were both the Frances. And I did them within 12 months of each other. I wasn't let down the second time at all. I did make an effort to stay in different towns than the first time. It was so interesting to discover villages that I had just walked through the year before. I also went at a slightly different time of year. The first year, in September the sunflowers were pretty much done blooming, but the next year, in July the sunflower fields were glorious! And of course I met wonderful new friends each time. Bonus of doing it the second time is that I was now the "pro" and able to help the newbie pilgrims.

I walked the CF three times before venturing onto other routes. I've now walked it 5 times, plus the last few hundred km extra (after the Madrid and the Norte). It never disappoints me.

I would not like to walk a week on the CF and then divert to the Norte. The Norte is a camino all its own - I'd rather start at Irun and walk it in its entirety (which I have done).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you so much.
Hi! Like you, walking that first Camino francés ‘ruined me for life’ ! :) The second time was different: I found it easier because I knew what was coming, I knew I could do it and I discovered new things, places I had barely noticed the 1st time.
The 3rd Camino was, in my eyes, per-fect!
This year, my 4th time, I became ...bored after a week or so! The weather was iffy, It rained most afternoons, the places and cafes that I had known full of happy pilgrims were empty.... and I started thinking: ‘Why am I here?’ Some stretches I even found tedious - the walk through Cirueña comes to mind: empty, grey skies, constant drizzle.... I decided to cut my losses and go somewhere else!
As it happened, I did continue but should you become bored too, you could always have a plan B.
I think you’ll know nearer the date whether you want to walk it again or try different paths.... :)29525DF3-3FF0-4BD7-BF14-64B568532C66.jpeg190A9E40-42BA-4FD4-A174-D03D19AA6437.jpeg859827AE-70AA-46CF-BA12-AF6C0B116067.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

I came into my second CF determined to do things differently, not because I hadn't loved my frist camino, I absolutely had, but because I felt I had to justify doing the same route again by making it different. First time round I formed a very strong camino family pretty much on day one and I decided second time round to do things differently and be more of a social butterfly. Problem was that just wasn't me and looking for the different took a lot of the fun out of the fist week.

Once I changed my way of thinking and just went with the flow I was in love with it all over again and embraced the memories from my first trip (it's funny how an anonymous patch of grass can stir up a snapshot in your mind of past joys while entire towns appear with absolutely no recollection), after that it was plain sailing.

Over 800km there is enough geography that you'll be hard pushed to not to find something new if you walk again and the people/weather and maybe even season will be potentially be variables that change your experience. So as @Kanga says, by all means go with a plan but be prepared to change it if things don't feel right.

Buen Camino,

Rob.

I must say I had a similar experience to Domigee. Having walked in October 2017 enjoying just about every moment I returned in May 2018. This experience was very different. Besides the awful weather, I just got the sense everyone was in a mass race. Not uncommon for albergue to empty at 5 am and high speed passing on trail without the utterance of a single word. The worst thing was I kind of got caught up in the pace and walked away with mixed emotions feeling like I missed a lot . I will do the Camino again strictly adhering to my terms.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I so know what you mean that the Camino "ruined" you for life. I feel like I've found what I'm meant to do, but I can't do it all the time!

My first and second Caminos were both the Frances. And I did them within 12 months of each other. I wasn't let down the second time at all. I did make an effort to stay in different towns than the first time. It was so interesting to discover villages that I had just walked through the year before. I also went at a slightly different time of year. The first year, in September the sunflowers were pretty much done blooming, but the next year, in July the sunflower fields were glorious! And of course I met wonderful new friends each time. Bonus of doing it the second time is that I was now the "pro" and able to help the newbie pilgrims.

I must say I had a similar experience to Domigee. Having walked in October 2017 enjoying just about every moment I returned in May 2018. This experience was very different. Besides the awful weather, I just got the sense everyone was in a mass race. Not uncommon for albergue to empty at 5 am and high speed passing on trail without the utterance of a single word. The worst thing was I kind of got caught up in the pace and walked away with mixed emotions feeling like I missed a lot . I will do the Camino again strictly adhering to my terms.
You all have confirmed what I thought. The first time I had times "in the moment", but much of the time I was intent on getting to the next albergue. I feel like I missed side trips and exploring some of the villages we walked through. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the things that spark my memories again, as well as, making it my camino this time.
Thanks for you thoughts. Buen Camino!

Thank you so much.
Five times walking on the Frances, completed it three times, never once disappointed. If you are looking to recreate experiences, you wont. Every one is different. Even last time when I fell in a river and had to be rescued was a whole new camino to be looked back on and believe it or not, enjoyed. Try doing it in September rather than May. Totally different. Dark in the mornings instead of bright but then I loved walking in the dark with just my thoughts for company and in my opinion, a sun rise over the mountains at O Cebreiro is as good if not better than any sunset

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the forum Mike, while i see you are new here you are an old hand (or should that be foot) on the Camino. We were lucky enough to walk the CF in 2004 and it was busy enough even then so I have never felt the need to go back, a view confirmed by our 3 kids who have all walked it at different times. I'm not one for going back and trying to repeat experiences, but as others have said both you and the road change with time.

Thankfully we discovered some of the routes less travelled and there are many more caminos to walk. I wish you well which ever way you go.

Thank you so much.
I’ll let you know after my second Camino Frances this coming Feb/Mar. I read with interest the comments from others. One thing I’m doing differently to mix it up is to walk at a different time of year. The first time I walked in Sept/Oct, which I truly loved. I know that Feb and Mar will be much different weatherwise and people-wise.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Five times walking on the Frances, completed it three times, never once disappointed. If you are looking to recreate experiences, you wont. Every one is different. Even last time when I fell in a river and had to be rescued was a whole new camino to be looked back on and believe it or not, enjoyed. Try doing it in September rather than May. Totally different. Dark in the mornings instead of bright but then I loved walking in the dark with just my thoughts for company and in my opinion, a sun rise over the mountains at O Cebreiro is as good if not better than any sunset
I thought I just happened to catch the most beautiful sunrise in O Cebreiro. You mean they're always this amazing?IMG_6046.jpg

My second CF camino was magical.

Third ok.

And, 4TH, sprained ankle on day four: Finally, made it to Santiago then to Fisterra with buses, hitched rides, and yes walking thrown in.

Oh, and the first started this yet to end desire to walk.

Thank you so much.
There are so many Caminos in Spain (and Portugal) I would ask myself why walk the same way again:
http://www.rayyrosa.com/loscaminos (just scroll down a bit)

BUT - Buen Camino!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back