• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Taxi to Orisson on Day 1

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes it is okay; you do you; in 2021 I had to do that very thing after spending the previous evening in the hospital from travel fatigue. They welcomed me with open arms and honored my reservation.
As discussed in another recent thread, "occasionally" a hospitalero/a may make an exception to the normal rules of a particular albergue. If the person in charge uses an extra dose of compassion in weighing certain situations, apparently exceptions are sometimes made at their discretion.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Is it OK to take a taxi to Orisson on Day 1 from SJPDP, stay overnight then continue the walk the next day to Roncesvalles?
Personal reason, please no judgement.
Your personal reasons are what they are, but if they're medical or similar, maybe stay an extra day in SJPP ?

Yes it is okay; you do you;
I’m sure the proprietor would understand
We don't know what the reasons are and we don't know how the proprietors will respond. The suggestion to ask directly is a good one. As discussed on other recent threads, some albergues are stricter than others, with their policies. We should not assume what their decision will be.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Interesting because I’m planning to do the same thing, however I plan to start in the morning. I’ve stayed in that albergue, not at the top of my list. I’m planning on a cup of coffee there and being on my way.
That will be no problem at all.

To be honest, it's arthritis in both knees (I'm only 59). I really want to see the top of the Pyranees, but I know walking the entire route would be difficult. After Orisson, I would be fine.
My preference would be to stay over night and acclimatize then carry on.
I will ask the Albergue.

As others say you could leave SJ taxi to Orisson early and walk on to Roncesvalles. We split the first stage in two, walk to Virgin, taxi back to SJP, next day taxi to Virgin and walk on. If for some reason you must stay at Orisson then sorry, not sure if it will work. Maybe the taxi could drop you off 2km before Orisson?😀

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
To be honest, it's arthritis in both knees (I'm only 59). I really want to see the top of the Pyranees, but I know walking the entire route would be difficult. After Orisson, I would be fine.
My preference would be to stay over night and acclimatize then carry on.
I will ask the Albergue.
I don't know what you have acclimatize to. You're not scaling Mt Everest.😉

The walk to Roncesvalles is basically in the foothills of the Pyrenees - no where near the highest peaks.

The walk to Orisson is the steepest part of the stage, so I recommend doing as @Charte57 suggests - take a taxi there, or even farther up, in the morning and start walking. Look at the service of Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle

I feel you. I have arthritis too but Frances was manageable. Just did a TKR and hopefully Norte in September So, taxi to the Virgin (can’t remember the name but there is a company that does a daily service) and walk after that. That takes most of the steep part out of it. Having said that, there are other parts of the journey that are pretty much as steep and for me it’s the downhill that’s the killer, not so much the uphill. Like Zubiri, and after the Alto de Perdón. Still, worth it. Good luck anyway and Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
You could also ride a taxi or shuttle van to the point at which the Camino leaves the road to the right and heads to the nearby Spanish frontier. That is at the top-most point of the climb out of Saint Jean Pied de Port.

This leap-frog move, cuts about 10km from the overall distance to Roncesvalles - making it a decent single day walk. At that point, there is more down walking than up.

Express Bourricot and other services offer such shuttle services. Not every pilgrim long and steep first day climb out of Saint Jean Pied de Port. After walking it twice, my wife- on seeing it from a rental car in 2018 - ordered me to NEVER do that segment again (she does not do Camino). She instructed me to use the shuttle services to the top. So, the next time, I am "under orders."

Hope this helps,

Tom

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is it OK to take a taxi to Orisson on Day 1 from SJPDP, stay overnight then continue the walk the next day to Roncesvalles?
Personal reason, please no judgement.
Your Camino is yours simple and straightforward. Otherwise you can walk it your own way as long as you complete, the last 100 km from Sarria

I feel you. I have arthritis too but Frances was manageable. Just did a TKR and hopefully Norte in September So, taxi to the Virgin (can’t remember the name but there is a company that does a daily service) and walk after that. That takes most of the steep part out of it. Having said that, there are other parts of the journey that are pretty much as steep and for me it’s the downhill that’s the killer, not so much the uphill. Like Zubiri, and after the Alto de Perdón. Still, worth it. Good luck anyway and Buen Camino.
I am doing the CF in May of this year with two bad knees,your comments intrigues me, I had asked on an earlier forum about other descents ( downhill is the harder for me ) that i should be aware of and prepare for that are difficult due to my knees so i would appreciate anything you can tell me. I do better if i know what i have to prepare for.

€149,-
I am doing the CF in May of this year with two bad knees,your comments intrigues me, I had asked on an earlier forum about other descents ( downhill is the harder for me ) that i should be aware of and prepare for that are difficult due to my knees so i would appreciate anything you can tell me. I do better if i know what i have to prepare for.
I find uphill harder due to the uphill force required as I push with each step. Downhill can be more manageable provided I use my poles and use them properly, making sure I use both upper body strength to take the downhill pressure off my knees.
It's important to concentrate and make sure you don't just walk downhill. Use poles, use your arms and balance the weight.
Plus uphill is harder on your cardiovascular, I'll be 60 soon, so I want to enjoy my walk and not suffer needlessly. I expect hardships, but what I can lessen thru common sense and do the way MY way I will have better chance of success.
Hope this helps 🙏

The descent from the top to Roncesvalles might be harder on your knees than the first part up to Orisson.
It can be for sure. I'm better at using my poles going downhill then uphill. There's less force required and I can balance my weight by using my arms and upper body.
Plus the cardiovascular at 60 years uphill can be daunting with added arthritis.
For me anyways

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know what you have acclimatize to. You're not scaling Mt Everest.😉

The walk to Roncesvalles is basically in the foothills of the Pyrenees - no where near the highest peaks.

The walk to Orisson is the steepest part of the stage, so I recommend doing as @Charte57 suggests - take a taxi there, or even farther up, in the morning and start walking. Look at the service of Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle

Good point, thank you

Albergues are getting stricter each year so those who have done it before were lucky.
Their website says no... so what I would do is book lodging in SJPP, spend the night THERE, then take the shuttle up to Orisson next morning for coffee, and head on to Roncesvalles.

On the OTHER hand, have you checked to see if you can get into BORDA?
It is just a short distance past Orisson and Laurent usually doesn't get there until 2 pm, so if you taxi'd up to Orisson then walked to Borda, I doubt anyone ask questions if you didn't volunteer information.
Just sayin'
His price includes dinner and breakfast.
It's one of my favorite auberges on the Camino these days!

The seeming universal obsession with St Jean, Orisson/Borda, and the “Pyrenees” bewilders this old grump. The Camino, even “that” Camino doesn’t start there, doesn’t require an obligatory stay in any particular “renowned” establishment and definitely doesn’t require any effort to circumvent the rules of that establishment or any other.

The OP Is coming all the way from Canada to walk a week of Camino. They’ve previously posted about walking from Sarria. For me, given their mobility issues as advised, Sarria to Santiago seems a likely more satisfying journey than from halfway up a hill to somewhere. But I’m not them so what do I know

€149,-
The seeming universal obsession with St Jean, Orisson/Borda, and the “Pyrenees” bewilders this old grump. The Camino, even “that” Camino doesn’t start there, doesn’t require an obligatory stay in any particular “renowned” establishment and definitely doesn’t require any effort to circumvent the rules of that establishment or any other.

The OP Is coming all the way from Canada to walk a week of Camino. They’ve previously posted about walking from Sarria. For me, given their mobility issues as advised, Sarria to Santiago seems a likely more satisfying journey than from halfway up a hill to somewhere. But I’m not them so what do I know
Good points. I won't be able to complete more than a week, not due to the arthritis, I just don't have the luxury of 4 or 5 weeks to walk the Camino.
So I am interested in stages over the next 2 or 3 years adding longer time when it permits.
I'm interested to know what some opinions are for a newbie, SJPDP to Pamlona (with a taxi halfway up "that hill") or Sarria to Santiago.
There are many opinions, I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm not necessarily tied to "the Camino will provide ", so I like to plan.
I have friends who struggled to find accommodations and that is not something I want to add to my Camino, so I plan accordingly. I will book ahead for whatever leg I decide on.
Taking a taxi if I start in SJPDP will deduct a day for me, part of the planning process.
If I was 30 or 40 might think differently.
I've had my suffering in life, I don't need it added where I can take it away. Just my honesty

@batty, excellent question. I will reply privately to you to avoid hijacking this thread.

Possibly not. There are two routes downhill to Roncesvalles and you may find the "official" route to be quite difficult. Please read the thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/descent-into-roncesvalles.85204/

Another, older thread helps you navigate so you descend on your chosen route.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Possibly not. There are two routes downhill to Roncesvalles and you may find the "official" route to be quite difficult. Please read the thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/descent-into-roncesvalles.85204/

Another, older thread helps you navigate so you descend on your chosen route.
Absolutely right. If one has knee issues the forest route is a non starter. I found the alternative route quite challenging enough.

After walking it twice, my wife- on seeing it from a rental car in 2018 - ordered me to NEVER do that segment again (she does not do Camino). She instructed me to use the shuttle services to the top. So, the next time, I am "under orders."

Hope this helps,

Tom
There is a reason why in my world of ACW reenactment/living history we used to refer to our wives as "6-Star Generals" 😁

Good points. I won't be able to complete more than a week, not due to the arthritis, I just don't have the luxury of 4 or 5 weeks to walk the Camino.
So I am interested in stages over the next 2 or 3 years adding longer time when it permits.
OK I see -- sounds like a plan.

I too have similarly bad knees, so that if there's a gentler option than the "official" route of a Camino, I will take it -- even if it's tarmac not trail.

I'd tend to agree with suggestions about a morning taxi up to Orisson, then walk from there.
I have friends who struggled to find accommodations and that is not something I want to add to my Camino, so I plan accordingly. I will book ahead for whatever leg I decide on.
Booking ahead makes more sense on SJPP > Pamplona than elsewhere, but after that booking ahead just a day or two beforehand is sufficient.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could also ride a taxi or shuttle van to the point at which the Camino leaves the road to the right and heads to the nearby Spanish frontier. That is at the top-most point of the climb out of Saint Jean Pied de Port.

This leap-frog move, cuts about 10km from the overall distance to Roncesvalles - making it a decent single day walk. At that point, there is more down walking than up.

Express Bourricot and other services offer such shuttle services. Not every pilgrim long and steep first day climb out of Saint Jean Pied de Port. After walking it twice, my wife- on seeing it from a rental car in 2018 - ordered me to NEVER do that segment again (she does not do Camino). She instructed me to use the shuttle services to the top. So, the next time, I am "under orders."

Hope this helps,

Tom
But it’s such a lovely walk!😀

Albergues are getting stricter each year so those who have done it before were lucky.
Their website says no... so what I would do is book lodging in SJPP, spend the night THERE, then take the shuttle up to Orisson next morning for coffee, and head on to Roncesvalles.

On the OTHER hand, have you checked to see if you can get into BORDA?
It is just a short distance past Orisson and Laurent usually doesn't get there until 2 pm, so if you taxi'd up to Orisson then walked to Borda, I doubt anyone ask questions if you didn't volunteer information.
Just sayin'
His price includes dinner and breakfast.
It's one of my favorite auberges on the Camino these days!
I’d second this strategy. Laurent is an amazing host and the albergue is clean and exceptionally well thought out. The communal dinner is a highlight, both for the meal itself and the folk you meet. Borda rocketed to my top five favourites last year.

But it’s such a lovely walk!😀
True! The views are absolutely wonderful.

But, coming up on my 71st birthday, I am compelled to accept that not every pilgrim can handle the long, steep(ish) 8 km climb out of SJPdP. So, I try to find reasonable accommodations, where feasible.

I am blessed to be in very good health, and reasonably good physical condition. But, that first 8 km to Orisson is still a doozie! It occasionally stops someone on their very first day. I have seen several "dead stop - turn around - "I am going home" incidents in my time. From Orisson, the entire Camino Frances is quite doable. It can be daunting for some.

Ironically, the scene in The Way, where Tom comes out of his lodgings, and turns the wrong way (downhill) to start his Camino, is true. Once he is pointed in the correct direction - UP - he realizes the scope of this challenge. The Camino de Santiago - not for sissies.

So, the most reasonable options to mitigate the steep climb out of SJPdP are: taxi to Orisson (8 km), if they will accept your reservation; or, shuttle / taxi to the Cruz Thibaud at the top of the paved road (10 km). This is where the trail goes to the right, towards the nearby Spanish frontier. The remaining 15 - 16 km to Roncesvalles, are undulating or down, most all the way to the town.

Remember, each pilgrim does THEIR OWN CAMINO. I never express a personal opinion on another's choices. I would not want someone to criticize my choices.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
But, in my recollection, it is undulating, up and down. Whereas, the first 8 km to Orisson are a constant, unrelenting climb. A lot of elevation gain in a shorter distance.

The second part from Cruz Thibault is also easier if you take the road route that serpentines down the mountain into Roncesvalles, instead of the forest route. The forest route has more pronounced down and up sections.

The road route undulates (rolling up and down) for a few km to the signpost, where you turn right to the road instead of straight ahead (KSO) into the forest. From the signpost, the road route is almost completely down into Roncesvalles.

The forest route has more "treats" especially in wet weather. Many pilgrims have described the forest route as "treacherous" in wet weather - their word not mine. I managed, albeit with muddy pants amd wounded pride.

It is possible that the second half DOES have most of the elevation gain. But it is more subtle and less pronounced than the first 8 km. It is also spread over nearly 16 km, instead of only 8 km.

I respect each pilgrims choice. I always preferred the road route from the top. I have walked all the way from SJPdP each time I started at SJPdP. But, "she who must be obeyed" has decreed that I must use a taxi or shuttle to get over that first bit in future. So, it is an easy decision to make.

Hope this helps,

Tom

But, in my recollection, it is undulating, up and down. Whereas, the first 8 km to Orisson are a constant, unrelenting climb. A lot of elevation gain in a shorter distance.

Whoops. I used approximations and I didn't add enough detail. On the Napoleon Route the distance between SJPdP and Orrison is about 8 km. The elevation of SJPdP is about 150 m, Orrison 800 m and halfway between them 350 m. First half has 200/650 or 31% of the elevation change and the second half 69%.

The Valcarlos route does have lots more little ups and downs so the total amount walked uphill is more than the elevation change between the low point and high point. The Valcarlos does have a steep spot about equivalent to the Napoleon's steepest spot though.

In the final analysis, I found myself in that first 8km from SJPdP to Orisson, stopping frequently to wait for 'Tweedle Dee" and "Tweedle Dum" to catch up to me. Those are the nicknames I gave to my lungs when I first starting doing the Camino.

Every few hundred meters, I would have to stop and cough my lungs up, trying to inhale enough air to continue on. I am not a smoker and have no pulmonary conditions or limitations, But, I am under-tall for my weight, and of course, everyone starts from SJPdP with a too heavy rucksack.

Other pilgrims would stop and ask me - "you okay old man." They meant OLD, not in the casual British mannerism of referring to someone as "old man" as a friendly gesture. I was 59 on my first Camino. I consider than middle-aged.

On one such occasion, perhaps 10 years ago, I recall rising to my full height and wheezing deeply while waiving my hiking sticks in their general direction, while saying - between gasps for air - "I AM NOT OLD - JUST WINDED. And when I regain my lungs catch up to me, I shall thrash you with these hiking sticks - thank you very much for asking." We all had a laugh and continued on, up the STEEP HILL - from there.

That is why I have come to support reasonable accommodations for slope challenged hiking fools like me.

Hope this helps,

Tom

I'm interested to know what some opinions are for a newbie, SJPDP to Pamlona (with a taxi halfway up "that hill") or Sarria to Santiago.
There are many opinions, I'm just trying to figure it out. I'm not necessarily tied to "the Camino will provide ", so I like to plan.
Taking a taxi if I start in SJPDP will deduct a day for me, part of the planning process.
If I was 30 or 40 might think differently.
I've had my suffering in life, I don't need it added where I can take it away. Just my honesty
There is a nice semi-short FULL Camino that starts from Ferrol to Santiago....Camino Ingles....Five to 7 days depending on you and your walking ability.....Please consider.....Paul

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back